6.8 SPC Forums banner

Game camera memory card question?

410 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  fast14riot 
#1 · (Edited)
Hopefully I can describe this so it makes sense so you can understand how much sense it does not make.

I went and checked my game cameras today and the bushnell camera said it had taken 80 pictures, great! But when I put the memory card into my camera to look at the pictures it said the card was empty. So I took a picture with that card in the camera to see if it would show up and it did. So I put the card back in the game camera and waved at it with the door open and it said it was taking pictures, so it must be working right? But when I put the card back in my camera to look at the picture it still did not show up. (Oh and that picture did not show up on my computer either:a08:)

Ok, something is not working here:a05:. So I swapped out the card for another one and buttoned it up in hopes that it will take some more pictures while I am gone.

I get home and I am hoping those 80 pictures will show up on my computer and they do, awesome. But when I try to upload a couple of them to photobucket they are nowhere to be found. So I re-download to the computer and notice that the pictures are loading to the computer but are loading as they were taken November 1979, but, the date stamp on the picture from the game camera is reading correct, 8-23-15.

If someone can tell me exactly what is going on here I will forever think you are a genus.:a31:

Low batteries in the game camera or a memory card issue?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds a bit to me like card issues. Did you format the card prior to initially installing/using it? Is this a new card, or one in use for a while... and suddenly developing issues?

#3 ·
+1. My guess would be formatting too...

or aliens!

#5 ·
Connect with a reader or insert the card into a card slot if you have one. Go to Windows Explorer and right-click the drive of the card and pick "Format".
If you got a Mac, you gotta ask a alien.

That 1979 date is pretty weird though. That was like before computers were invented, right?

#9 ·
Hey buddy, im pretty sure the camera has 32 megabyte of internal memory and that is where your pictures are, i think you have to go into the settings of the camera to get them to goto the SD card, also might need to format the card for the camera to recognize it.

#14 ·
I will format the card and try it again. The game camera and other card that I got from you is working fine. (Although I was unaware of the internal memory) I got lots of pictures of the wind blowing and a couple of a doe. It is a game camera I already had that's messing with me. It will also get new batteries when I go back.

You would think that since I have to drive 30 miles, atv 17 miles and walk 3 miles just to get to my cameras I would have studied up on all this stuff first.

#11 ·
I'm sure you have probably all ready checked it but look on the card and verify if the little yellow tab is in the locked position. If it is then like Hillbilly said the pics would be stored in the memory of the unit it's self if so equipped.
That's true too.

#13 ·
Also, I don't know how old the camera is, but older cams don't like big SD cards. My old bushnell did not like cards that were over 1gig in size. This cam was like 10 years old or so. I still have a game cam that uses 35mm film and it still works lol. But it's a pain waiting for the film to be developed.

#16 ·
the game camera and your regular camera most likely take and store pictures to a different directory on the card.

i had a similar thing happen to me as well before.

example. when you take pictures with the game camera, it will store the pics on a predesignated directory on the card.
when you put that card into your camera, it is setup to look for pictures on a directory that is used by that camera and since the game camera stored them in a different directory, it doesn't show them as being there.

#17 ·
Rule number one with memory cards is to always format your cards. Take them out of the camera, dump the files onto wherever you keep them, and format. Simply deleting the files does not completely erase all the information on the card. If you use the same cards in multiple devices, they will dump small packets of information onto the card that is not deleted and can really screw things up when you go to use it in a different camera or computer. I have some memory cards that are close to 10 years old and still going strong!

-Alexander

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.