6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went up to Clay county Texas last weekend for 2 nights. I got to hunt with a good friend, kill quite a few hogs, try not to get struck by lightning, and not get carried off/eaten alive by mosquitos. I hope you enjoy the video. It was an eye popping good time.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Looks like you had a good couple of nights, Afalex1. Those are some significant hog infestations!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Wow

I went up to Clay county Texas last weekend for 2 nights. I got to hunt with a good friend, kill quite a few hogs, try not to get struck by lightning, and not get carried off/eaten alive by mosquitos. I hope you enjoy the video. It was an eye popping good time.

Nice shooting! I can smell the cooking pork from here!

Give us a run down on what you think about the 110 VMAX for hogs/game. Looks like it did the trick, even in a short barrel.

Very Nice!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't made up my mind on the vmax yet. I'm going to use them on my next hunt too. This was my first outing with them.

I think the short barrel helps them. Less velocity so they don't frag as quickly, if at all. I didn't try to recover any bullets or examine wounds. The next trip I plan to investigate further.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Nice job Alex..

·
Administrator
22,080 Posts
Good work finding ol' Blew-Eyes out there. Too much fun there Alex.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Nice shooting! I can smell the cooking pork from here!

Give us a run down on what you think about the 110 VMAX for hogs/game. Looks like it did the trick, even in a short barrel.

Very Nice!
To me it looks like it worked well on the small ones, but the adults seem to keep getting back up after multiple hits.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
To me it looks like it worked well on the small ones, but the adults seem to keep getting back up after multiple hits.
Same as 120 SST, depends where they are hit. I've hit big boars in the neck with the 120 SST and they've ran because it missed the nervous system. Most drop, but anything behind the neck and they run a little ways, as exhibited in your videos. I'm switching bullets now, been using the 90gr Nosler bonded with good success so far, but need to get it on some more hogs.

Alex, if you get a chance next time, skin some of the hogs and see how the bullets performed, penetration, what happened with the bullet and retained weight.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Same as 120 SST, depends where they are hit. I've hit big boars in the neck with the 120 SST and they've ran because it missed the nervous system. Most drop, but anything behind the neck and they run a little ways, as exhibited in your videos. I'm switching bullets now, been using the 90gr Nosler bonded with good success so far, but need to get it on some more hogs.

Alex, if you get a chance next time, skin some of the hogs and see how the bullets performed, penetration, what happened with the bullet and retained weight.
Yes they are tough but its far and few between that take multiple hits from the 120sst. Use the vmax all you want but its a poor choice but still better than 5.56, FMJ, or subsonic. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Never used it in the 6.8. I have used the 60gr in the. 223 Wylde, but neck shots, which seem pretty disruptive to the nervous system.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Thanks!

Yes they are tough but its far and few between that take multiple hits from the 120sst. Use the vmax all you want but its a poor choice but still better than 5.56, FMJ, or subsonic. Just my opinion.
What I wanted to hear.....thanks Todd!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 110 vmax is an experiment in the short barrel. I plan to skin a few and recover bullets. I want to see what is actually happening after the shot.

I have had adult hogs run after taking the 120sst, 90 gold dot, etc, etc. They are tough. Heck I hit one in front of the shoulder at 75 yards with a 150 grain sp from a 300 win mag. He went down then got up and started running again. Put another one in him and he gave up.

Yes, the 120 is proven. Not many have used the 110 in a short barrel. I have a bunch and figured someone should try it.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
The 110 vmax is an experiment in the short barrel. I plan to skin a few and recover bullets. I want to see what is actually happening after the shot.

I have had adult hogs run after taking the 120sst, 90 gold dot, etc, etc. They are tough. Heck I hit one in front of the shoulder at 75 yards with a 150 grain sp from a 300 win mag. He went down then got up and started running again. Put another one in him and he gave up.

Yes, the 120 is proven. Not many have used the 110 in a short barrel. I have a bunch and figured someone should try it.
Yes great shooting nice video, Im interseted to see what the recovered bullets look like myself. The only reason I said anything is you know people just dont pay attention Figured I would at least try to save some the disappointment of using vmaxes on hogs.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes great shooting nice video, Im interseted to see what the recovered bullets look like myself. The only reason I said anything is you know people just dont pay attention Figured I would at least try to save some the disappointment of using vmaxes on hogs.
Thanks. I understand what you are saying and agree.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My intent was due to availability of 110 Vmaxes at my LGS.........They don't keep 120 SSTs........go figure.:a33:

·
Registered
110 Posts
My intent was due to availability of 110 Vmaxes at my LGS.........They don't keep 120 SSTs........go figure.:a33:
Seems that 120 factory loads are getting harder to find. I just picked up a couple of cases I found on Gunbot, but, I'm not finding it anywhere local or at the gun shows here in the PRC... Trying to stock up for the BS here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts