6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my PSA email flyer there is a full auto BCG at $89. To me, that seemed low. I am not in the market, I figured they would cost more.

They claim shot peened, mil spec, all the good stuff. Or is this all they cost?

Details

PSA Freedom 5.56mm tested Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group - 507608
Milspec Carpenter No. 158® steel bolt
Shot Peened Bolt
High pressure tested (HPT)
Mag particle inspected (MPI)
Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
Chrome Lined Gas Key
Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
Gas Key Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
Gas Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
Tool Steel Extractor
Extractor Spring

PSA Freedom Bolt Carrier Group

Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened, High pressure tested and Mag Particle Inspected. Gas key is chrome lined, phosphate coated, and secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is phosphated outside and chrome lined inside. Made in the USA

For packaging considerations, BCG will be packed dry. As a result, it will have a grey, dusty appearance that will turn black with the application of CLP or other preferred lubricant.

PSA AR15/M16 Charging Handle - 438

PSA T6061 Mil-Spec charging handle. For use with AR15 and M16 uppers.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It's just a standard mil spec style BCG nothing special. A decent price too, I think they usually run around $120 from them.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Now if that was an auto sear that would be a different story.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Normal sale price... most places are $100-$110 for their standard BCG, which is also normally a full auto carrier.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Since they took over PTAC they may manufacture their own bolts & carriers which gives them more pricing power.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Most all my bcgs are psa, and i have waited till they hit between 79-89$ to pick em up. Only exceptions are the aim 6.8 bcg and the rf x39 bcg.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
There are lots of decent cheap bcgs out there. Psa aim rguns. I've used those 3 and never been disappointed.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I placed a stock order for 75 carriers one time and they were pretty cheap. PSA orders much more than that and gets a better price per unit. Its all about volume, buy more, pay less.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps my view is skewed from browsing Wilson Combat's website and seeing non-milspec carriers that have been coated for nearly $300.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
AIM surplus has NIB BCG for $99.99 delivered...........their everyday price. Wish they had it in 6.8

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to say PSA has one at $79.99 now.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought this could not be done. MSG Half Mast and the level 10 book says never interchange bolts between rifles. If this is purchased, does it need to have head space set?

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
I thought this could not be done. MSG Half Mast and the level 10 book says never interchange bolts between rifles. If this is purchased, does it need to have head space set?
Not exactly sure what you are referring to but, there is no way to "set" head space on an AR. This is done when the barrel extension is installed and can't really be changed without some major work. The only way you will ever run into a problem is with tolerance stacking. If the bolt and the chamber are both on the tight end or the loose end of the specs then you could possible see a problem. Not likely though and if you did, all you could do would be to keep trying different bolts till you found one that fit would pass the checks.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not exactly sure what you are referring to but, there is no way to "set" head space on an AR. This is done when the barrel extension is installed and can't really be changed without some major work. The only way you will ever run into a problem is with tolerance stacking. If the bolt and the chamber are both on the tight end or the loose end of the specs then you could possible see a problem. Not likely though and if you did, all you could do would be to keep trying different bolts till you found one that fit would pass the checks.
You're not familiar with the .mil saying never interchange bolts between rifles? You mostly answered the question.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
You're not familiar with the .mil saying never interchange bolts between rifles? You mostly answered the question.
What I meant was, nobody mentioned swapping bolts between rifles unless I missed something. That is not to say that you can't replace the bolt in your rifle with a new one. It is just a recommendation that you don't swap used parts between worn rifles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts