6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a couple of gallons of honey mead - Blueberry and Mojito. Thought I would try something a little different other than just beer.

·
Administrator
22,084 Posts
Mmmm... mead. My little cousin owns/operates "Sky River Mead" here in WA State. I'm a big fan of the Raspberry, the Blackberry, and the Dry offerings. Good stuff, that mead. :a01:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmmm... mead. My little cousin owns/operates "Sky River Mead" here in WA State. I'm a big fan of the Raspberry, the Blackberry, and the Dry offerings. Good stuff, that mead. :a01:
Raspberry and Blackberry are next on the list...........just as soon as my jugs show up.
Need to start another 5gal. of home-brew tomorrow.........the last rain event depleted my stash.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My last homebrew was a chocolate porter. It tastes good but wound up overly carbonated. When the bottle is opened it shoots a 6"+ geyser of beer out the top. I'm running low and need to brew some more beer since it takes two bottles of that porter to get one full glass to drink.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My last homebrew was a chocolate porter. It tastes good but wound up overly carbonated. When the bottle is opened it shoots a 6"+ geyser of beer out the top. I'm running low and need to brew some more beer since it takes two bottles of that porter to get one full glass to drink.
The war department prefers me to brew Oktoberfest type beers....so who am I to complain.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I've made mead for years, Blueberry always turns out great. I use 3lbs/gal of blueberries, 3lbs/gal honey, Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast, Goferm and FermaidK, and keep it below 60F. I've got two 6 gal carboys full of it ready to bottle that I started last summer, I just need a free day to do it.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
A hydrometer might be a good investment. LOL! I've had a few of those.

I just brewed 5.5 gallons of English Pale Ale. I used a little home grown hops in the last 5min of the boil.

Good luck with the mead. I've made quite a few. I don't think I've made a fruit meads. Check into Peptic Enzymes to help with the pulp.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Two things about bottle conditioning for home brewers. A chemist knows the plato (sugar) level of their beer from inception. They also know exactly how much yeast it takes to carbonate to the level they want. It's a critical measurement. The yeast stops and dies off after a time in the bottle leaving whatever sugars for the consumer. Yeast from the fermentation is stripped out first.

Home brewers typically add priming sugar to their wort for bottling which is fine, if provided after x amount of time the beer is consumed and/or refrigerated. Otherwise you get the fountains of foam. Even cooled beer to 32 degrees will continue to ferment and make Co2 but you can slow it down. Also conditioning the beer in a secondary for a couple weeks allows the yeast activity to die off to a level that is better for bottle conditioning.
Get into kegging your beer if you can. You will not miss the fountains of foam.

·
Registered
620 Posts
glad to see some of my fellow 6.8 shooters brew too. I only brew beer but have just about perfected Amber and Hefeweizen styles. My coworkers and friends can't get enough of it. Actually headed to Germany next year to take a brewers course because I want to see how far this will take me.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Two things about bottle conditioning for home brewers. A chemist knows the plato (sugar) level of their beer from inception. They also know exactly how much yeast it takes to carbonate to the level they want. It's a critical measurement. The yeast stops and dies off after a time in the bottle leaving whatever sugars for the consumer. Yeast from the fermentation is stripped out first.

Home brewers typically add priming sugar to their wort for bottling which is fine, if provided after x amount of time the beer is consumed and/or refrigerated. Otherwise you get the fountains of foam. Even cooled beer to 32 degrees will continue to ferment and make Co2 but you can slow it down. Also conditioning the beer in a secondary for a couple weeks allows the yeast activity to die off to a level that is better for bottle conditioning.
Get into kegging your beer if you can. You will not miss the fountains of foam.
What is this bottling that you speaketh of???:a24::a23: I have 2.5 gallon, 5 gallon, 7.5 gallon and 15.5 gallon kegs and have been kegging since my first year after stepping away from the ball lock corni kegs although those are a great way to get started.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
looks like something I'd like to try---- whats a good place to start for supplies and instructions?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
check your local area for a home brewers club and start there. It is a great place to get all the information that you need to get started. I will be hosting classes for one of our local clubs this summer. I buy my grains from a couple of our local breweries at about $20 / 50# bag which is way less expensive than the home brew shops and I get yeast from those same breweries. My favorite ale yeast is White Lab Chico Yeast #WLP001 and I get it by the gallon for free and it is hot and ready to use and will keep in my fridge for a couple of months. I do share it with my fellow brewers that have no clue how to get free yeast. I brew beer for between $1 - $1.50 a gallon.

There are a ton of videos on youtube as well that you can gather info from

·
Registered
833 Posts
What is this bottling that you speaketh of???:a24::a23: I have 2.5 gallon, 5 gallon, 7.5 gallon and 15.5 gallon kegs and have been kegging since my first year after stepping away from the ball lock corni kegs although those are a great way to get started.
He capt.
It was to the poster I quoted. You are as advanced as anyone in my club. Anyone more advanced, have gone on to open brewery's. Be warned it's contagious. All ya need is money.
http://liftbridgebrewery.com/

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
He capt.
It was to the poster I quoted. You are as advanced as anyone in my club. Anyone more advanced, have gone on to open brewery's. Be warned it's contagious. All ya need is money.
http://liftbridgebrewery.com/
I know! I was giving you a hard time!:a39:
I am ordering a trailer this week. Getting the 101-8 for doing our beer gardens but it will have 6 taps and not 3 as pictured. It is going to run about $13K with shipping.
http://www.paulicoolingsystems.com/

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
BTW those are my cleaned and sanitized kegs ready for action. I just dropped all the kids (other 8 kegs) off at the brewery to get the same done. It is nice to have friends in the industry that will help me out and it is great to not having to bottle!:a26:

·
Registered
833 Posts
BTW those are my cleaned and sanitized kegs ready for action. I just dropped all the kids (other 8 kegs) off at the brewery to get the same done. It is nice to have friends in the industry that will help me out and it is great to not having to bottle!:a26:
Show us your walk-in cooler or it didn't happen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts