6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to submit a Form 1 to build a SBR. I have yet at acquire all of the parts, but I have a lower that I plan to use. I plan to use a 10.5 inch barrel.

One of the questions on the form is what will be the overall length of the weapon. I have no idea, since I haven't purchased the stock. Also, will this count the supressor? What do I say if I want to add a QD can (which I have a stamp in waiting for?) Any suggestions on how to answer this question?

Thanks,

Bug

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I just pick a similar 16" gun and deduct for the shorter barrel. For example the OAL of the 16" rifle is 30 inches, I want to use a 12.5" so minus 3.5" from 30 which brings it to 26.5".

FYI OAL is measured with stock fully extended.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just pick a similar 16" gun and deduct for the shorter barrel. For example the OAL of the 16" rifle is 30 inches, I want to use a 12.5" so minus 3.5" from 30 which brings it to 26.5".

FYI OAL is measured with stock fully extended.
OK, thanks. If I change my mind down the line am I stuck with the barrel I specify?

What about the QD can?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Things temporarily attached to the barrel (muzzle devices, suppressors, etc) are not included in the barrel length. If you were to permanently weld the suppressor to the barrel, it would be part of the barrel length, but then you wouldn't need to SBR anyway.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
OK, thanks. If I change my mind down the line am I stuck with the barrel I specify?

What about the QD can?
Obviously you should talk with a lawyer to get solid answers. With that said, I have been told that as long as you can return the SBR to its orginal configuration you can run any combo you want.

As for QD, I think you account for the muzzle devise length in the OAL but not the can itself. So the barrel length is from bolt face to crown and the OAL is the length of the gun with all parts attached and stock fully extended.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Obviously you should talk with a lawyer to get solid answers. With that said, I have been told that as long as you can return the SBR to its orginal configuration you can run any combo you want.

As for QD, I think you account for the muzzle devise length in the OAL but not the can itself. So the barrel length is from bolt face to crown and the OAL is the length of the gun with all parts attached and stock fully extended.
I have a 10.5" SBR but I'm out of town and and can't measure it. As far as putting it back into original configuration, you do not have to be able to do that after you have received the stamp. If it were me, submit a length on say the 9" barrel your building and build as many uppers as you like. I have multiple uppers but mine are not shorter than the original one submitted as 10.5" is the shortest I will go.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 10.5" SBR but I'm out of town and and can't measure it. As far as putting it back into original configuration, you do not have to be able to do that after you have received the stamp. If it were me, submit a length on say the 9" barrel your building and build as many uppers as you like. I have multiple uppers but mine are not shorter than the original one submitted as 10.5" is the shortest I will go.
10-4, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
On the AR platform, barrel length plus 19" covers most builds.

There's no requirement to be able to return to original.

Theres no "you can go longer but not shorter" rule.

The suppressor has nothing to do with this topic, unless you're permanently attaching a direct thread can or the QD mount.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I always hear different stuff from different people including dealers and manufactures.

I think if you have paperwork saying that lower is a registered SBR and you are conducted in legal activities they are not going to nitpick. But that's just my opinion.

However my opinion don't mean jack, I ain't no lawyer nor to I claim to be one.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I always hear different stuff from different people including dealers and manufactures.
None of those people can give you a regulation that says otherwise. It doesn't exist. The only thing the ATF can do is recommend you notify them of changes because they're tasked with keeping the registry accurate. Recommend does not equal require. On top of that, they only recommend it when it's a permanent change...and there's very little permanent in the AR world.

and it's a good thing you're not a lawyer...as they often give worse advice than dealers. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup just got one back. It measured 27.25" from stock to muzzle using a LWRCi UCIW stock kit and a 10.5" barrel without the muzzle device. I know the UCIW is a full 2" shorter than the Magpul CTR I was going to run if that helps.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I think if you have paperwork saying that lower is a registered SBR and you are conducted in legal activities they are not going to nitpick. But that's just my opinion.

However my opinion don't mean jack, I ain't no lawyer nor to I claim to be one.
Yeah, I was kinda of think that way. Be as precise as possible at the time of filing, but be flexible.

Ya know, since one can't have the gun together until one has the stamp, it is hard to be precise about the overall length.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, I was kinda of think that way. Be as precise as possible at the time of filing, but be flexible.

Ya know, since one can't have the gun together until one has the stamp, it is hard to be precise about the overall length.
Enough of us have built them or can throw together several variations of the rifle to get an idea of what you want to keep it legal.

·
Registered
749 Posts
BugOnPoint, thanks for the thread. I am thinking of doing the same thing. I have only the lower as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm late to this thread but I built my first SBR lower in February of last year. If you are reading this and you don't have a stamped lower you need to do it! I gotten so much use of mine that I'm not sure why I waited so long. My 16+ inch uppers are collecting dust now. Once you get the stamp for the AR lower you can switch back & forth. I've built SBR uppers in 5.56, 6.8, 7.62x39, and going to do a .22 one soon.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm late to this thread but I built my first SBR lower in February of last year. If you are reading this and you don't have a stamped lower you need to do it! I gotten so much use of mine that I'm not sure why I waited so long. My 16+ inch uppers are collecting dust now. Once you get the stamp for the AR lower you can switch back & forth. I've built SBR uppers in 5.56, 6.8, 7.62x39, and going to do a .22 one soon.
My 16" 6.8's have gotten zero love since I built the 12.5".

·
Registered
273 Posts
OK! I know this doesn't have anything to do with this thread but I have to ask what is up with all the post "Canadians" by BigWaylon? Also Shermbodius I have seen some pretty good Avitars but yours is definitely in the top 10. By the way I do have a 12.5 ARP SO NOT TROLLING just keeping up and curious.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts