6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

just wanted some input on what you guys like for forends on your hunting ar set ups. I need to replace a few on 16" barrels and 20".

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am not a key-mod fan. Looks too much like unistrut racking I used for years.

I really like my simple JP forearm. I can attach whatever I want wherever... Not cheap but is well made.

·
Administrator
22,081 Posts
I am not a key-mod fan. Looks too much like unistrut racking I used for years.

I really like my simple JP forearm. I can attach whatever I want wherever... Not cheap but is well made.
You and me both. Industrial shelving holes belong on shelving. :a43: I lean more towards the AP Customs carbon fiber with the M-Lok type slots.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I like the industrial look myself :a21:. OdinWorks keymods on my 308s, also like the Apex Machining HG on the "good ole" 68.

·
Administrator
22,081 Posts
I like the industrial look myself :a21:. OdinWorks keymods on my 308s, also like the Apex Machining HG on the "good ole" 68.
LOL... (Al?) You been eating SPAM again? :a21: :a42: :a21:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I picked up an Aero Percision Quantum M-Lok for my latest build. I really like so far. Comfortable and lighter weight.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
You and me both. Industrial shelving holes belong on shelving. :a43: I lean more towards the AP Customs carbon fiber with the M-Lok type slots.
Oh they look perfectly normal, as long as you paint them orange. You couldn't give me another aluminum handguard, never seemed like a good idea and after I tried them a while I found out that I was correct, too hot, too cold, too noisy. The AP Customs is better in every way, including lighter.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i choose function over looks, keymod preferred, mlok if necessary

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I lean more towards the AP Customs carbon fiber
I like my hand guards light weight and at least 13" long for hunting. I have AP Customs on my ARs. I also like the feel of carbon fiber when I hold it. Doesn't get hot or cold nor "ring" if you tap it.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
I don't care at all for the looks of the carbon fiber and it is no lighter than a MI G3. It was only a few 10ths of an ounce lighter than the MI G2 of the same size and the G3 is lighter yet. I have never had any problems with cold or hot since I generally wear gloves when hunting (for camouflage purposes). Never had one get hot.
I prefer the look of the Mlok but the keymod is much more useable to me. The last one I built I used the Mlok and had to move mounts so that the hardware didn't hit the gas block. Never would have been a problem with Keymod.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I didn't really care for the keymod either, however I purchased a BCM KMR and I really like it. I like the SLR Rifleworks as well. For a budget minded rail the UTG PRO Super slims are very well made.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where is everyone getting the ap custom hand guards. I can't seem to find there websit. Just looking for the free float carbon fiber tube

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Appears ap customs is out of business. So please keep the ideas coming. I did like the idea of a free float carbon.

looking for something that is light, quiet, and would prefer to keep it as cheap as possible. Trying to finish 3 build at once.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
http://www.deltateamtactical.com/Carbon-fiber-Free-Float-Hand-Guard-12-Rifle-length-_p_4182.html

Prelude8626, Delta Tactical has a low-cost carbon fiber hand guard on sale. I wanted the rails for some projects and bought it. Not the quality of an AP Custom but not bad so I considered it a bonus. It looked good enough that I plan to use it on one of my 5.56mm. I'm not recommending for or against. Just putting it out for consideration. You might search the forum as I think some others picked this up also.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Appears ap customs is out of business. So please keep the ideas coming. I did like the idea of a free float carbon.

looking for something that is light, quiet, and would prefer to keep it as cheap as possible. Trying to finish 3 build at once.
If you want light and inexpensive it is hard to beat the UTG Pro SS. Generally less than $100 or right there about.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts