6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my 6.8 LEFTY bolt gun project has proved very sucessful and I'm very pleased with it.

A link to the story of that rifle -
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=482

I must be crazy, but I have been thinking on embarking on another project to get me a similar rifle in a short action .30 cal.

Here's my idea -

Pick up another lefty CZ 527 in .223. Find more 7.62x39 bottom metal, magazines (which are also sued in the 6.8 SPC rifle) and another take off barrel in .308 cal.

Have the whole thing made up into a 7.62x39 (.308 bore) to match what I did for the 6.8SPC rifle. Bullet availability makes me want to stick with the .308 bore and reloading gives me some activity to do when it's so cold around here.

The whole idea may be crazy, but it's Feb in Minnesota, -25 below zero tonight, can't get to the range, most hunting seasons are closed and I need something to retain my sanity!! :shock:

What do you think? Opinions welcomed.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think it is interesting and I would encourage you to pursue it.

Constructor of AR15Performance.com is our resident mad scientist... be curious on his thoughts.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I wonder if you would get better ballistics by blowing out a 6.8 case to .30 cal? You wont have any OAL issue as its not an AR. You would be able to use longer bullet and take advantage of the efficiency of the 6.8 brass powder column. Its brass will also take higher pressure. In a bolt you should be able to up to 65K without issue compared to the 7.62s 50K and would only have to neck size most of the time. Apparently there are some very light 30 cal bullet and some with decent BC as well from Berger. Whisper is another idea as the brass would be cheaper but I think the 6.8 case would give you better performance, not sure though. You could do one in 6mm also. :?:

Oh Constructor come in here and save me from hurting myself and others. :shock:

Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts