6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I need to clamp my barrel in a barrel vise block first.
If I'm going to be removing and install my FH often can I use automotive 1/2" copper crush washers or aluminium crush washers instead of steel ones? It would seem alot easier on the threads and the barrel? How much torque is required once the FH is indexed?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Constructor, Tim, or Paulo can someone helpma out here :?: Thanks

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I have never used any crush washers except what is specified for the AR. When you install the FH put you tighten till it is indexed and that is it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes on the indexing but I thought there was a torque spec for the FH? With a .22LR I would think I could get away with the cheaper automotive copper or aluminium ones. $3.50 a pop for the AR crush washers is way steep and if I'm removing the thing every couple of days it will get expensive. I was wondering if anyone has done this with the automotive washers, a pack of 10 is $1.99!

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
When you use the shim washers you tighten it down there isnt a spec you just index it, I am sure it is the same with the crush...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it was 15lbft-20lbft of torque not to be exceeded because of the 1/2"-28 threads being stripped? I don't need anything near that with .22LR so I thought the softer the washer the better for the threads as often as I plan on removing and installing the FH.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I dont know an specific number to be honest with you. It has been a long time since I installed one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
gdonley308 said:
Yes on the indexing but I thought there was a torque spec for the FH? With a .22LR I would think I could get away with the cheaper automotive copper or aluminium ones. $3.50 a pop for the AR crush washers is way steep and if I'm removing the thing every couple of days it will get expensive. I was wondering if anyone has done this with the automotive washers, a pack of 10 is $1.99!
Why in the world would you be removing the FH every couple of days??

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
just get a thread protector... you dont need the flash hider.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
If you are going to be removing and re-installing it very often, why not get a flash hider, like the Smith Vortex, that doesn't need the crush washer or anything?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
paulosantos said:
If you are going to be removing and re-installing it very often, why not get a flash hider, like the Smith Vortex, that doesn't need the crush washer or anything?

Yea I have the Vortex on both my 6.8s and it is the s#*t!! With this being a .22 I thought that would be over kill and it weighs more than an A2. Maybe I'll just get an A1 bird cage non-indexing and use a lock washer, the total cost would be $10.00 shipped to my door?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread: Yes you can use a brass or alum one but honestly I like your last idea better with a non indexing giving what you are doing this all for in the first place is not going to effect much. :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts