6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i already have one but i am wanting to do a nicer build than a have now and was wondering if there was any place that sold a rifle kit , something that you know you are getting everything you need i know all the basic stuff you need but not sure on what the best parts are . I know it not that hard to build one and know it will be fun but just want to make sure everything fits and i don't get stuff that wont fit .

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The best advice honestly is having the right tools to complete all tasks without having to shade tree mechanic to much.
That is we're most people get in a bind or goof something up, I believe if I have a $1000 or more to invest in quality parts then it is only right to have the proper tools for the job.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Not sure if there will be an issue with most parts from known vendors. I have used lower receivers from $39 Anderson's and blem PSA to Aero to $200 billets and had no issues with fit using $29 to $79 LPKs. Believe most critical parts for me was a quality barrel and a decent trigger. Have used collapsible stocks from <$20 to $100+ and work OK. Free float hand guards have ranged from <$100 to $200+ and are mainly personal preference, all fit and do fine. Charge handles and grips also fall under personal preference and all worked fine for me.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Kenneth: I recommend you avoid kits. They are not required to ensure the parts fit together, milspec takes care of that. Since this is your second build, you already have most of the tools needed. Also, you are probably starting to develop some preferences as to which parts you want. This is especially important with furniture (buttstock, grip, handguard). My last build began with an emphasis on ultra light weight. The end result is a 6.8 rifle that weighs 4.5 lbs with iron sights and no magazine, a joy to hold. good luck - CW

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Kits seem to be assembled together as a kit for the budget minded builder.

I would start with a quality barrel and build around it choosing the receiver set, fire control parts, handguard and optics of your liking.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I suggest just spelling out what you are wanting to do, which parts you know or think you want, and which parts you have questions on. The crowd here will give you good ideas on how to adjust your plans. The kits over at Palmetto State Armory can be a great value (but they have multiple product lines and they are not all the same)

What is it about your current build that you don't like?

A couple of thoughts:
1) The heart of the AR is the barrel, so that is the component that really defines your build
2) Quality is not always directly correlated with price. There are some very affordable options on the market that perform well, and some very expensive options that perform no better. Conversely, sometimes just a few bucks more gives you a much better product (case in point: for the love of God, why do people keep buying PEPR mounts?)
3) After the barrel, the bolt carrier group is the next most import part of the rifle. Everything else is just there to hold the barrel/bcg together
4) the "user interface" components (anything you touch to operate the firearm, such as grip, stock, trigger, hand guard) don't make the rifle more accurate, they help the shooter be more consistent and precise in operation. Therefore a lot of personal preference is involved in the selection and it's hard for anyone to say which is "better" beyond quality of manufacturing and customer support of the supplier.
5) Tools: you don't need many but a few specialized tools can really make the difference. If you are just going to "build" one rifle, the tooling costs will likely make the endeavor cost more than just buying a factory gun and if you Bubba through it a $3 nail punch and whatever else you have in your toolbox you may not be happy with the outcome and end up with a rifle that is hard to sell anyway (this is why buying used ARs can be a risk proposition these days).
6) Don't take anyone's advice (including mine) that is unsupported by facts without finding other ways to collaborate or verify

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input but i think i have made my mind up to get an LWRC or POF , it is hard for me to find time to get one built and wish i could find someone around me that would build me one really . There is not anything wrong with the one i have now except all my other guns dont get shoot much because i have so much faith in it . I shoot a doe this year at 352 yards and she dropped like a rock . So if anyone has had any issues with those two just let me know.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I suggest just spelling out what you are wanting to do, which parts you know or think you want, and which parts you have questions on. The crowd here will give you good ideas on how to adjust your plans. The kits over at Palmetto State Armory can be a great value (but they have multiple product lines and they are not all the same)

What is it about your current build that you don't like?

A couple of thoughts:
1) The heart of the AR is the barrel, so that is the component that really defines your build
2) Quality is not always directly correlated with price. There are some very affordable options on the market that perform well, and some very expensive options that perform no better. Conversely, sometimes just a few bucks more gives you a much better product (case in point: for the love of God, why do people keep buying PEPR mounts?)
3) After the barrel, the bolt carrier group is the next most import part of the rifle. Everything else is just there to hold the barrel/bcg together
4) the "user interface" components (anything you touch to operate the firearm, such as grip, stock, trigger, hand guard) don't make the rifle more accurate, they help the shooter be more consistent and precise in operation. Therefore a lot of personal preference is involved in the selection and it's hard for anyone to say which is "better" beyond quality of manufacturing and customer support of the supplier.
5) Tools: you don't need many but a few specialized tools can really make the difference. If you are just going to "build" one rifle, the tooling costs will likely make the endeavor cost more than just buying a factory gun and if you Bubba through it a $3 nail punch and whatever else you have in your toolbox you may not be happy with the outcome and end up with a rifle that is hard to sell anyway (this is why buying used ARs can be a risk proposition these days).
6) Don't take anyone's advice (including mine) that is unsupported by facts without finding other ways to collaborate or verify
what is wrong with the pepr mounts. I thought they were good for the money.what do you suggest instead. I have no love for that pepr mount just curious.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Kenneth, ultimately it is a question of "how much are you willing to spend for what you want?" If you are dead set on a piston...I wouldn't hesitate to buy an LWRC. I think they are extremely well built and accurate enough for a "battle rifle." You aren't going to be winning distance accuracy competitions but they run very clean and are well built. Downsides are they are front heavy and have proprietary parts...piston, bolt carrier, handguard, and lower receiver/magazine for the Six8. That being said, it is probably still a great investment.
If you wanted to go DI (gas), then your options are unlimited and the forum sponsors make high quality gear. You really can't go wrong if you chose one of them. IWT, ARP, Wilson Combat, or Bison. I have equipment from 3 of the 4 and they are top tier quality. You will also spend a lot less on a DI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts