6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had hiked up to this lake in the Central Washington Cascades. First snow fall of the year, up in the pass, in the upper left corner, at around 7000ft...

This was the view of the lake from the pass above:

The weather turned (a cloud came up the valley) and sleet started coming down. Holy #$%@* was it cold:

I was just kind of scouting and doing a supply run, as we have a trip planned to the area the extended weekend of Sept 16th through the 21st. I dropped off some supplies:

I'm looking forward to getting out to the Mountains for 4 or 5 days...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That is some beautiful country I'm jealous.
Nothing says good morning like a rum hangover and a can of spam... LOL

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts
Watch out for drunk/horny bears with greasy lips. :a24:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Awesome country! Me loves the Cascades but it's usually winter when I'm there with everything covered under many feet of white stuff.

ETA: hopefully this winter will be more whiter than last...

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Hopefully some of that got east of the Cascades to help with the fires. Also hope they get back to normal snow packs this coming winter, a 10% of normal is not good for anyone.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is some beautiful country I'm jealous.
Nothing says good morning like a rum hangover and a can of spam... LOL
It's amazing country, it really is. You can only camp up there if you get selected via a lottery permit process... We applied for a permit back in March 2015. We got lucky, 2 of 8 of us drew permits. We ended up only purchasing one of the permits. Yeah, there will be 8 of us over 4 nights, so it's not really a lot of alcohol... I'm going to pack in an 18 pack of eggs and we're going to fry up the Hickory Smoked Spam and eggs. One of the other guys committed to bringing hashbrowns. Good times, I predict. I imagine other will bring some other bottles.

Backpacking, camping, fishing, hunting... does it get any better than that???

Watch out for drunk/horny bears with greasy lips. :a24:
Hopefully them damn Bears don't find my stash...

Awesome country! Me loves the Cascades but it's usually winter when I'm there with everything covered under many feet of white stuff.

Yeah, we need more snow this winter. You should check it out in the Summer...

Some of the moisture has made it to the East. Fires are winding down a bit. Weather has been cooperating somewhat.

Makes me miss WA. Beautiful country.
Yeah it is. I'm lucky to be able to live here. Only down side is the left leaning libtards of Seattle/King County.

Fantastic pictures and it looks like you have a little snow left over from last years still.
Thanks for the picture compliment. Yep, there's glaciers to the right and up (in the first picture) with last years snow still on top. There's also a glacier remnant at the base of Dragontail that still shows last years snow. It'll all be gone in our lifetimes (so the greenies say).

We're heading out next Thursday for 4 days. I'll be sure to post pics from after the fact...

Peace out....

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
It's amazing country, it really is. You can only camp up there if you get selected via a lottery permit process... We applied for a permit back in March 2015. We got lucky, 2 of 8 of us drew permits. We ended up only purchasing one of the permits. Yeah, there will be 8 of us over 4 nights, so it's not really a lot of alcohol... I'm going to pack in an 18 pack of eggs and we're going to fry up the Hickory Smoked Spam and eggs. One of the other guys committed to bringing hashbrowns. Good times, I predict. I imagine other will bring some other bottles.

Backpacking, camping, fishing, hunting... does it get any better than that???
WTF. Are you serious? Talk about no freedom.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I used to go to Darrington and Randle for work, loved the snow. You are so lucky to have places like that, great photos by the way.

Here in Lost Wages it is still over 104 and can't wait for 80 degree days.

I am with your buddy, eggs and smoked span MUST have hash browns with them. Have you tried the pepper or teriyaki spam? And you got to use real butter to cook the eggs and hash browns.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
WTF. Are you serious? Talk about no freedom.
Dude, I hear you about no freedom, but take a look at the pictures here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=enchantment+lakes&rlz=1C1GGGE___US557US557&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=705&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIyM-3kfD3xwIVx5iICh33PAap#tbm=isch&q=enchantment+lakes+september

Enchantment Lakes (Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area, Central Washington Cascade Mountains):

If this area isn't regulated, it would be loved to death. Everything would be trampled, over fished, burned, trash and feces everywhere. I'm OK with limiting people to this area. It's opened to daily hiking without a permit, but to camp, there is a lottery. I guess if you're not OK with it, I'm cool with that.

sam

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Beeee-you-tee-full!

Thanks for sharing! We're starting to get cold fronts and you can feel the cooler temps from you guys up north snow. Keep it coming!

·
Registered
8,707 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=enchantment+lakes&rlz=1C1GGGE___US557US557&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=705&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIyM-3kfD3xwIVx5iICh33PAap#tbm=isch&q=enchantment+lakes+september

Enchantment Lakes (Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area, Central Washington Cascade Mountains):

If this area isn't regulated, it would be loved to death. Everything would be trampled, over fished, burned, trash and feces everywhere. I'm OK with limiting people to this area. It's opened to daily hiking without a permit, but to camp, there is a lottery. I guess if you're not OK with it, I'm cool with that.

sam
Don't forget the the "Discover Pass" that you have to buy for all lands managed by DNR and WDFW. Some of the Park Passes will suffice for the Discover Pass in some cases. Having just left there and knowing the populace "loved to death" is an appropriate description.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't forget the the "Discover Pass" that you have to buy for all lands managed by DNR and WDFW. Some of the Park Passes will suffice for the Discover Pass in some cases. Having just left there and knowing the populace "loved to death" is an appropriate description.
You forgot the Northwest Forest Service Pass for Access to National Forest Service (I mean our) land...

I don't like it, but I suppose you have to pay to play...

Every January, I get the NFS Pass (to access National Forest Service Land), the Discover Pass (to access State Parks and DNR Land Access), the WDFW Pass (to access Washington Dept of Fish and Wildlife (our) Land), and sometimes a SnoPark Permit (for Winter Rec Access).

What does the future hold?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts

sam
looks beautiful....till I scrolled through the pics in your google link and this ruined it for me!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts