6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was going to the range today no matter what. Made it too.
I had my 200rf box of Hornady 110gr BTHP stuff but that was it, no 6.8 mags (yet) but I managed to hobble along 3 rounds at a time with Pmags. I'm happy to say that it functioned flawlessly for 170 rounds except for some mag related issues. I think the accuracy potential is there in the barrel bit perhaps it just dont like that H load, hits were sporadic, one minute I'm pumping them into decent little groups then a flyer 2 or 3 inches away, up, down, left or right, it was just sporadic chaos. I was set up at 100 yards.
The last grouping that looks to be 2 shots only HAS to be 3, I swear, I could not find another hole in that cardboard backer anywhere. Fourth pic was my initial shote with it. The topmost 3 were my first 3, made adj down, went too far ( those are the 3 to the outside right), adj back up and a couple to the left and called it good. Other than those 6 there are 21 shots in the center.
I'm gonna say that I have answered my own question about the use of the Vltor A5 system and A2 weight buffer and Sprinco Green spring, worked great in my opinion. I really liked the recoil impulse. Honestly, I didnt know what to expect from the 6.8, I'd say it's much closer to the 5.56 than to a 7.62, and it was sort of smooth and straight back, no comp either, just a Vortex FH. Yes the recoil was more substantial than a 5.56 but but still very controllable. Oh, I was shooting off of a bag, no bipod. I did go on out to 300 (longest stretch on this section of the range, elsewhere it goes to 500) and hit the steel more times than I missed so I was happy with that. Again I'm very unfamiliar with this caliber or any caliber other than 5.56 but I really enjoyed the experience.
I'm very excited to get reloading for it. I believe it will really shine with handloads. I've seen some of the groups posted here and am encouraged. So now I have 200 rounds of Hornady brass, about 70 rounds of Federal and the 250 S&B I'm waiting on from CBB, a decent selection of boolits, powders and primers, I'm ready, yall be ready too, I may need help..
I'm gonna guess that those H AG rounds are not super hot but every case that this gun spit out had the primer about as flat as my 22.9gr AR Comp 5.56 load , must have a pretty tight chamber.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't be hard on yourself. Time and patience with the fundamentals will get you to where you want to go. Of course money for reloads doesn't hurt either.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no, not down on myself, the barrel or the gun, love them all
I think it performed great
Believe me, I've shot waaaaay worse with 5.56 factory ammo, many of them. I dont think the groups are terrible. You know, you get used to those itty bitty groups handloading. No, I am ecstatic with the function and performance of my first 6.8 build. I didnt mean to sound disappointed. I probably COULD have performed a little better had I not had a large coffee and no breakfast but hey.
Really, I was nervous about the rifle not functioning correctly but I am quite relieved.
I do have a decent supply of bullets, mostly Barnes TSX, TAC-X and TTSX Gold dots and SSTs and I'm sure I'll get it tuned up as soon as we finish our move.

·
Registered
367 Posts
For factory ammo I started using the federal American Eagle 90 grains. Ive shot Horneday VMax and a couple others. They were all decent, but the 90s still do better. We shall see what I get when I start loading.

·
Registered
489 Posts
What optic are you using? Just curious. The factory Hornady 110 BTHP perform consistently the best in my various 6.8 rifles, like a universally good factory cartridge for the caliber. It’s a bit pricey unless you get the American Gunner bulk. S&B is surprisingly good also, FMJ and PTS, and relatively affordable. Good Luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
LAXammo has the Hornady AG 200 bulk pack for $119. Shipping is high but sales tax isn’t. shipped wound up at 70cpr.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the American Gunner 200 round box on sportsman outdoor warehouse or something like that, $119.00. Optic is a Bushnell LRTS 4.4-18×44.
I only said I was a little let down because of what hurricane6 and several other wrote here, that it performed very well in their barrels, my barrel is just different is all, I'm not sweatin it. Handloads are where it's at. After shooting the 6.8 I pulled out a 14.5"Noveske barreled carbine w/ an 8x toy scope and delivered on target 4 10round groups, rapid fire, 100yards, 10 rounds, 10 seconds, 100 yards using a 77gr SMK over 22.9gr of AR Comp in LC19 brass w/CCI41 primers, they were all about 2- 2.5" groups. I've shot 1/4moa groups with this load.

·
Registered
367 Posts
What optic are you using? Just curious. The factory Hornady 110 BTHP perform consistently the best in my various 6.8 rifles, like a universally good factory cartridge for the caliber. It’s a bit pricey unless you get the American Gunner bulk. S&B is surprisingly good also, FMJ and PTS, and relatively affordable. Good Luck with it!

I have a cheap pitney 4 - 16 x 50 scope. No complaints for the price, its held zero thru all the rounds i put thru it. The rifle is very consistent, me not so much

·
Registered
489 Posts
I found the American Gunner 200 round box on sportsman outdoor warehouse or something like that, $119.00. Optic is a Bushnell LRTS 4.4-18×44.
I only said I was a little let down because of what hurricane6 and several other wrote here, that it performed very well in their barrels, my barrel is just different is all, I'm not sweatin it. Handloads are where it's at. After shooting the 6.8 I pulled out a 14.5"Noveske barreled carbine w/ an 8x toy scope and delivered on target 4 10round groups, rapid fire, 100yards, 10 rounds, 10 seconds, 100 yards using a 77gr SMK over 22.9gr of AR Comp in LC19 brass w/CCI41 primers, they were all about 2- 2.5" groups. I've shot 1/4moa groups with this load.
View attachment 60884 View attachment 60885 View attachment 60886 View attachment 60887
Nice shooting! I only asked about the optic because I find it difficult to really get a feel for consistency and accuracy of a barrel or cartridge at 100yds unless I am magnified more than 6x (12x is perfect for me) and there is a fine crosshair for POA vs a red dot or chevron. I also find it difficult to visualize those black targets with red diamond center.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know, I usually make my own targets. I experiment alot with those vibrant, vivid sharpies on bright white posterboard. Maybe I should have tried some of those instead.
Actually, and I'm not making excuses and this is true. I was flanked on both sides by two guys who looked like they were using barrels off of Sherman tanks, they both had HUGE brakes on their guns. No BS, they both would actually move my scope with each shot. One was a boly gun of unknown caliber, I'm guessing a 6.5 at least, the other was a 308 gas gun. After taking a pounding for a few hours I was finally able to shut the gas gun guy down by pointing out that his brake was unscrewing. I gradually detected a change in the wave generated by the brake, yes I could feel the wave, and I got up for a rest, stood behind the guy and looked at his muzzel and saw it right away, his brake had already rotated about 30 degrees and he hadnt noticed, he also had no tools to fix it with, but what he did have was a whole array of even more obnoxious firearms, with very short barrels, with large holes in them, and more brakes. In maryland people build their guns just like their personalities. I'm not sure if anyone here is from maryland but if you are, I'm sorry but these are the rudest, most obnoxious people on Gods green earth, they do not care. Sorry for the tangent. No, I'm not from maryland.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You know, I usually make my own targets. I experiment alot with those vibrant, vivid sharpies on bright white posterboard. Maybe I should have tried some of those instead.
Actually, and I'm not making excuses and this is true. I was flanked on both sides by two guys who looked like they were using barrels off of Sherman tanks, they both had HUGE brakes on their guns. No BS, they both would actually move my scope with each shot. One was a boly gun of unknown caliber, I'm guessing a 6.5 at least, the other was a 308 gas gun. After taking a pounding for a few hours I was finally able to shut the gas gun guy down by pointing out that his brake was unscrewing. I gradually detected a change in the wave generated by the brake, yes I could feel the wave, and I got up for a rest, stood behind the guy and looked at his muzzel and saw it right away, his brake had already rotated about 30 degrees and he hadnt noticed, he also had no tools to fix it with, but what he did have was a whole array of even more obnoxious firearms, with very short barrels, with large holes in them, and more brakes. In maryland people build their guns just like their personalities. I'm not sure if anyone here is from maryland but if you are, I'm sorry but these are the rudest, most obnoxious people on Gods green earth, they do not care. Sorry for the tangent. No, I'm not from maryland.
I’ve been there! A lot of factors at play and one of the reasons I responded. While it’s true you can hand load and customize your cartridge setup for your specific barrel/rifle, the availability of good factory loads for this rounds gives you the flexibility for a lot of applications. Didn’t want you to bail on the Hornady yet!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes they are rude. I only spent a couple of months in Hagerstown town contracting for Sierra Nevada. I left as quickly as I could.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve been there! A lot of factors at play and one of the reasons I responded. While it’s true you can hand load and customize your cartridge setup for your specific barrel/rifle, the availability of good factory loads for this rounds gives you the flexibility for a lot of applications. Didn’t want you to bail on the Hornady yet!

This move is KILLING me!!! I have everything I need to start and it's all packed up in boxes. It will be where I start, getting my benches set back up and running and well take her to the races then.
Not gonna bail on that loaf, it's about the best deal I've found for a factory loading.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bill, you did very well if you had two big bores shooting beside you. That actually means you had great difficulty shooting between shots of the other shooters up close to you.
As this is your first 6.8 build, no mags, no reloads, no real information on the 6.8 then you did well indeed. A couple of suggestions: 1. Put your brass together by manufacturer, the different makers have different case capacities. 2. Switch to square centers, shoot the corners using your crosshair just a hair off the black corner. 3. Go to plugs and muffs before you go back to that range.
I myself am still opening boxes and for added ant hilI style pain, changed from land line with PCs and networks to cel phones with iPads. What a PITA.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the kind words there recondo 101. Now, does that mean 101st? I'm a former member of that same group of maniacs myself if it does.
I always load and shoot in batches of 100, always LC brass (5.56) and always keep them separated and marked. This helps me keep track of the number of firings etc. Of course the 6.8 brass is another story ain't it. So far I've collected 125 rounds of Federal once fired(small primer), the 200 rounds of Hornady from the box of AG I shot and just today I finally received the 250 primed S&B from CBB and am hoping to get at least 250 more.
At the range, even though it is almost always packed I'm usually not flanked on both sides by people shooting the most obnoxious guns they can find to bring. But if I see this situation developing again I'll definitely double up on the ear pro.
Those particular targets are not my usual. I usually get the round splatter targets at whatever size fits what distance I plan to be shooting that day the most, or I make my own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts