6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes you read it right "pump action rifle". I wanted to get one before they stopped making them like the IMI 357 Timberwolf and Remington 7615. Pretty sure I could convert this to any caliber, the action works off the handguard not the barrel and the barrel is freefloated even more so than the typical AR. Folding stock is a nice feature. Action is very smooth. Haven't shot it yet but I'm impressed so far.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Interesting indeed, haven't seen anything substantial from Troy since this. Good to see then trying to innovate vs just cranking out the same ole same ole.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I thought the chamber had to be fluted for this pump action to be able to extract the spent brass with full-power loads.

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the chamber had to be fluted for this pump action to be able to extract the spent brass with full-power loads.
This one is not fluted but an EDM will cure that if need be.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Depending on how smooth the action is, I'd love one of these. How does the bolt work compared to a normal AR?

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depending on how smooth the action is, I'd love one of these. How does the bolt work compared to a normal AR?
Sorry, what do you mean?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was just thinking in terms of action smoothness if it locked lugs like an AR bcg then you would get a some strong resistance when initially starting to work it.

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does lock up the same way, the bolt is a plain AR bolt without gas rings. I would assume the peak pressure may effect how it comes out of the chamber.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would guess, it would be just as smooth as a side charger and works much the same. Look at the Gibbz Arms stuff.

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
I would guess, it would be just as smooth as a side charger and works much the same. Look at the Gibbz Arms stuff.
Except the side charger has a gas system which helps it unlock after firing a round.

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
I just put an adjustable gas block on a build and forgot to open it to function, I also didn't have any allen wrenches with me to do any adjustment. I fired off about 25 Wolf lacquered 62 grainers and used a standard charging handle. It was a little stiff but not bad. So the pump action should give a bit better leverage.

Reactions: Highside

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes you read it right "pump action rifle". I wanted to get one before they stopped making them like the IMI 357 Timberwolf and Remington 7615. Pretty sure I could convert this to any caliber, the action works off the handguard not the barrel and the barrel is freefloated even more so than the typical AR. Folding stock is a nice feature. Action is very smooth. Haven't shot it yet but I'm impressed so far. View attachment 67770
Does it use standard barrel extensions and nuts on the upper?

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does it use standard barrel extensions and nuts on the upper?
I haven't taken it apart but I'm sure the barrel extension is the same. The barrel nut is probably made for the Troy rail.

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
I haven't taken it apart but I'm sure the barrel extension is the same. The barrel nut is probably made for the Troy rail.
I haven't used any Troy rails in a few years but they used to all take the standard Milspec barrel nut.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm very interested in hearing your range report. Sorry if I missed it, is it a 223? I was wanting one of these in 308 a couple of years ago but could not find any for sale.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
if you turn off your gas and fire a round you will find the fired round is much harder to extract than an un-fired round or empty chamber.
I have turned of the gas with my 5.56 and 6.8 a couple of times and had to take the upper off so I could use needle nose pliers to leverage the bolt open from below. Broke one alu charge handle in the process also.

Reactions: Strawdawg

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Most with experience know that the AR does not have any mechanical advantage when unlocking with the charging handle as does a bolt action with the cam/mechanical action. The AR operates with a gas assist which helps the bolt rotate and blow backward pulling the case out of the chamber.

It is very common for some guns to have difficulty in extracting unfired rounds. Google will bring up many examples of people asking for help. Some times it is with reloads and other times with factory ammo. I have some guns that are easy to pull the case out of with the charging handle and others that take more effort. It could be a number of things that make it harder to do as we all should know.

The gun was designed for gas assist and in part, it's the nature of the beast.

What really bothers me is the number of people of my age that may be suffering from the onset of dementia who get pissed someone seems to disagree with them, and the others than appear to be too immature todeal with disagreement. I am beginning to believe that the WOKE generation has arrived upon the gun scene because they are so easily offended. For goodness sakes, just go tell your Mom that someone dared disagree with you and she needs to come set them straight :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts