6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No particular reason for never hunting before. I've had opportunities, but could never get life lined up. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I made a reservation at one of those TX hog ranches. This was an easy hunt from a blind down a lane of corn. How hard could this be? Well, first evening out, three shots though my 300blk were misses, totally my fault. Too anxious.

Next morning, redeemed, using the 16" ARP 6.8, and a lot more patience. Hornady 100gr CX over 28.0gr A2200. Shot was 48yds. Dropped in its tracks.

Note that I shoot the 300blk (Mos-Tek 16", 1:10") way better than the 6.8, and it's not temperamental with ammunition. Yes, I'm suggesting the 6.8 is picky. It hates Hornady 120gr SST, Hornady 110gr Vmax, and factory Winchester 120gr Deer Season XP. The only ammo that shoots well is factory S&B, and the CX. Pics.

Electric blue Gun barrel Terrestrial animal Soil Air gun

Smile Water bottle Gesture Bottle Snout

· Administrator
22,668 Posts
Naw, the .300WTF bullets were just bouncing off those hogs. 🤡 Congrats on the redemption. Good lookin' hog there. Time to feed the freezer.

Reactions: Pappy Jon

· Registered
5,031 Posts
Did you expect the 300 BO to drop a hog in its tracks? You may not have missed.

· Registered
475 Posts
This might sound crazy, but I would trade our prairie dog infestations for some of those hogs! Great pics & harvest/shooting!!!
Part of the problem down here in Texas occured early in the 20th century. Sheep and goat ranchers/farmers in northern Mexico were being eaten out of house and home by coyotes. Somebody got the wild idea to import Russian Boar.
The Russians would literally root a coyotes den out of the ground and eat the pumps! 😜👍
.....but hogs can swim!!! 😡👎 Now we got that nasty Russian bloodline all over Tejas!! Well, all over the south!! 😖
It's unmistakable when you see one with strong Russian bloodlines!!! Rangy looking, long snout, humped shoulders like a buffalo, bad attitude, solid black and long heavy hair.

True story!
Was working for my b-i-l doing a little plowing for a LOT of deer hunting!
Started plowing a 50 acre spot.
Head (tractor?) high Johnson grass.
"Careful," he said, "there's hog wallows out there!" ...and drove off.
I'm having a blast, driving slow, turning left, listening to Rush Limbaugh in a cool tractor cab and smelling fresh turned dirt! 😃!
Suddenly, the front end of the 4440 John Deere simply disappeared! I'm catapulted into the windshield like a jet fighter off a carrier!
Fortunately....trying to catch myself, I stomped the clutch as me, tractor and 30 foot disc came to a screeching halt!

"Uh, hey Bob! I think I found your hog wallow!"

Low gear, light throttle and the tractor climbed out of the hole! Had to drag the disc over the "hole" 3 or 4 times to smooth out the area!

· Registered
490 Posts
I was right there with you and the 4440 up until we got to the 30' disc. I realize that it may be an exaggeration because you didn't know how big it actually was. The widest disc I've pulled with an 4440, which was my grandad's was 16' wide. I'm not calling BS, just asking because I know that I once caught a fish THIS BIG but didn't measure it.

· Registered
475 Posts
I was right there with you and the 4440 up until we got to the 30' disc. I realize that it may be an exaggeration because you didn't know how big it actually was. The widest disc I've pulled with an 4440, which was my grandad's was 16' wide. I'm not calling BS, just asking because I know that I once caught a fish THIS BIG but didn't measure it.
LOL! No, I didn't put a tape measure on the disc....and you're probably right, 16 foot or so.
But I've slept since then!

The guy had 800 acres of prime deer/turkey/hog hunting on the Red River.
He didn't hunt, but he allowed me to hunt if I wanted to.
I asked him once, "Do you realize how much money you could make selling day hunts?"
He looked at me with a scowl and said, "The only thing I hate worse than deer, is deer hunters!"

· Registered
60 Posts
Yeppers! Definitely some Russian blood there! Nasty creatures!
I thought so. Much different from the other big boars I've shot. The others although big and mature you could see domestic hogs in them. This one was unique in the features you pointed out. He was tough too. Made me feel under gunned with the 6.8 spc. Especially with the Hornady CX 100s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
475 Posts
I thought so. Much different from the other big boars I've shot. The others although big and mature you could see domestic hogs in them. This one was unique in the features you pointed out. He was tough too. Made me feel under gunned with the 6.8 spc. Especially with the Hornady CX 100s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pigs is tough, but they ain't bullet proof! 😉👍

· Registered
753 Posts
Pigs is tough, but they ain't bullet proof! 😉👍
You must not have haven’t shot any really big boars. I have seen shields 3 1/2” thick. Put another inch or two of hair, hide and mud on that and it’s damn close to bulletproof. I shot a large bore at 60 yards with a 9 mm carbine. Couple days later it was shot with a 7 mm Mag to the neck. They found 4 of my rounds stuck in the shield. Pistol caliber bulletproof for sure!

· Registered
475 Posts
You must not have haven’t shot any really big boars. I have seen shields 3 1/2” thick. Put another inch or two of hair, hide and mud on that and it’s damn close to bulletproof. I shot a large bore at 60 yards with a 9 mm carbine. Couple days later it was shot with a 7 mm Mag to the neck. They found 4 of my rounds stuck in the shield. Pistol caliber bulletproof for sure!
Well, first off, I don't go hog hunting with handguns.
Even in a carbine, the "9mm vs. feral hogs" isn't a good matchup! If you had tried a head shot or behind the ear shot, your 9mm might have worked.
I have butchered a bunch of hogs. Yeppers, that "shield" can be awfully awesome and I have seen some pretty heavy shields. But 3.5" inches thick?
Sure you weren't skinning a rhino or an elephant?

· Registered
753 Posts
Well, first off, I don't go hog hunting with handguns.
Even in a carbine, the "9mm vs. feral hogs" isn't a good matchup! If you had tried a head shot or behind the ear shot, your 9mm might have worked.
I have butchered a bunch of hogs. Yeppers, that "shield" can be awfully awesome and I have seen some pretty heavy shields. But 3.5" inches thick?
Sure you weren't skinning a rhino or an elephant?
Yeah, I’ve shot 3-4 elusive and particularly large boars on a couple high fence ranch. I like to try different calibers and cartridges. I agree I was starting out under gun with a 9 mm. I wanted to take a head or neck shot but the boar started to sense me and in all the excitement I went with a reflex shoulder shot. I did not see that hog dead but was told the bullets were in the shield by the guy who shot it. He didn’t believe me at first either.

I shot the hog with the 3 1/2” shield in the neck with a 6.8, bang flop. My cousin and I are pretty rugged, both the better part of 300 pounds. We could not lift the hog into the side-by-side. When processing the hog, his feet were off the ground hanging on the shield. It wouldn’t fold enough for me to get between it and the meat. I had to get a long butcher knife from the kitchen to finish the job.

I could just stick my hunting knife with a 3 1/2” blade through the shield. I have never seen anything like it. it sounded like loud velcro when cutting it. I meant to take pictures but there was a couple more hogs to process and it was already 3 AM. I do have video on my night vision scope of shooting it but haven’t got around to downloading it. I’m not really sure how to post it. I did take a couple of pics of it on the ground. My 16” barreled AR goes from the shoulder to the hoof. I also have the skull. I’ve got those pics posted somewhere on this forum.

Reactions: earlytom
1 - 20 of 20 Posts