6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I purposely built it with a short barrel for handling and ease of maneuverability. Hope the 12.5" barrel isn't going bite me in the butt on performance.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I purposely built it with a short barrel for handling and ease of maneuverability. Hope the 12.5" barrel isn't going bite me in the butt on performance.
plenty on here use the 12.5 so you should be good. I didn't want to get a stamp so I built a 16". My AR pistol (which uses actual pistol bullets) is an 8"

·
Registered
70 Posts
It killed the deer!! And you watched it drop!! And you question performance. I shot one years ago at about 175 with a 300 mag. Broke both shoulders but the bullet was lodged under the skin on the backside.

If you don’t want them to run shoot em in the neck, CNS shots make recovery super easy! It’s the only shot I take when they are standing in the road, just back the sxs up to them, winch them in and head to the hanging post.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It killed the deer!! And you watched it drop!! And you question performance. I shot one years ago at about 175 with a 300 mag. Broke both shoulders but the bullet was lodged under the skin on the backside.

If you don’t want them to run shoot em in the neck, CNS shots make recovery super easy! It’s the only shot I take when they are standing in the road, just back the sxs up to them, winch them in and head to the hanging post.
Your right, I'm overthinking it...dead is dead.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Don’t doubt the 12.5” capability.
I’ve taken game at 230 yards with my 12.5” and they’ve gone 20 yards. Granted, it was an SST which is know to plant them, but the 12.5” is very capable out to 250+ yds with the right shooter. Bullet choice helps, but isn’t as pertinent when the shooter does their part.

Reactions: mtl111

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Exactly what fsf13 said . This is not a 6.8 thing or 90 fusion thing . It can happen with any caliber if the bullet is one that mushrooms into a ball. Several years back I shot a deer with one at an angle like yours and after taking out lungs it turned and literally field dressed her .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
I did a ballistics gel test at a 100 yards and I put a deer shoulder and ribs in front of the gel. I shot it with my 308 and my 300 win mag using 150 grain Remington corlokts in both. The 308 held together and penetrated 18 inches. The 300 completely fragmented and only penetrated 8 inches. I chronograph both rounds, 308 was doing 2730 fps and the 300 was doing 3150. Identical bullets but completely different results because of different impact velocities. Bullet construction plays a huge role, had i used all copper bullets in both the results would be way different.
Never had a failure with my 300 Wby. I never shot anything less then 180's One was a quartering away shot that exited between the front shoulders. (It was a mess) Penetration was never an issue, nor was tracking, never had too. Your test sounds interesting. I wonder if the 300 bullets hit more bone?

Edit: did some quick reading on the core lokts. Seems short range hence high velocity, in the magnums, is the kiss of death for this design.
So maybe me using the 180's, sometimes heavier, I did not have the higher velocity as you had with the 150's to have the problems you noted.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've not tried the CBB bullets YET, but have shot 3 deer with Barnes 95TTSX. Never shot a shoulder but I've also never recovered a bullet. The Barnes are supposed to expand down to 1600 FPS, I think.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here is a photo of the deer, you can see the entrance hole on her left shoulder. I'll see if my local shop has any heavier ammo.
Thanks
She died! That said I prefer the 115 grain gold dots. That's what I load for deer with that brand. Dropped a sleeping buck at 205 yards last season. Bullet performed perfectly. He never woke up.
20191107_062600.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have never recovered a CBB 105. I've broken both shoulders and still exited the other side with a huge hole om an 8 point. I now shoot high shoulder for the CNS hit. They drop on the spot. It is too dense where I hunt for me to want to track them.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's the nature of the beast and "Murphy's Law".

They don't "always" drop on the spot.
I've used rifles that shot under "MOA" and still had the bullet miss my "poa".
Missing a "poa" by a mere inch or so still kills but may not have the immediate, desired effect.

I've taken pigs with the Sierra 90gr HP.
Did not do any postmortem on them, so no idea about bullet performance except all three were *D.I.R.T.!
It wasn't my shooting ability, HAD to be bullet performance! LOL!

Hunt!
Shoot as accurately as you can.
Wait for a good shot.
Use good bullets.

"The best laid plans of mice and men may often go astray!"

(*DEAD! INSTANTLY! RIGHT THERE!)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Never had a failure with my 300 Wby. I never shot anything less then 180's One was a quartering away shot that exited between the front shoulders. (It was a mess) Penetration was never an issue, nor was tracking, never had too. Your test sounds interesting. I wonder if the 300 bullets hit more bone?

Edit: did some quick reading on the core lokts. Seems short range hence high velocity, in the magnums, is the kiss of death for this design.
So maybe me using the 180's, sometimes heavier, I did not have the higher velocity as you had with the 150's to have the problems you noted.
All the bullets hit bone but it's hard to say if one hit a thicker part then another. I think most cup and core bullets that hit bone at 3000+ fps will do the same thing. Had that been a deer , im sure it would have dropped in its tracks. 4000 ft/lbs of energy getting dumped in 8 inches would be devastating. I've done this same test with the 6.8 , 450 bushmaster, 223 and 30-30. Here's the videos.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Federal Fusion 115 gr I believe has a min. vel. performance at 1,600 FPS, the listed BC of .378 has been verified by some one here to be .301. The original stated BC made it a 400 yard bullet on average but by various Ballistic Programs it seems to be just over 300-340 yards with the BC of .310. For me, that still is a great factory ammo I won't pass up.

The 110 Accubond has a min velocity of 1900 feet per second so it runs just over 300 yards for factory ammo as well from the Ballistic programs I've played with. Still I have some left for my ARP I'm using for that gun for one more or two deer season. For Varmints I use the 115 Fusions.

Both are a form of bonded bullet, as usual it depends how the bullets hit to have a pass through or not. Bullets hitting a critter is where Mr. Murphy comes in, some times its a nice pass through, other times you hit bone several times and get no pass through. But I like pass throughs with an expanding bullet, so I go with bonded bullets. These are my two experiences with 2 bullets I use, hope it helps. Oh most hits I got where pass throughs, but hitting some heavy bones, like this year, the bullet ricocheted off neck bones and went down and hit the deer through the leg! Mr. Murphy tried to get me there.

For a tough 6.8 bullet, Barnes 95 TTSX is a great monlithic one, my brother uses them and has good pass through and blood trails from them.

EDITCUS: Well seeing X-Man's 115 federal fusion bullet performance. At 1900 fps at 300 yards it seems it would be around the stated .378 BC. But he did a check, I think it was that made the BC a .301 I read on here. So all in all...its a Maybe, Maybe not thingy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Federal Fusion 115 gr I believe has a min. vel. performance at 1,600 FPS, the listed BC of .378 has been verified by some one here to be .301. The original stated BC made it a 400 yard bullet on average but by various Ballistic Programs it seems to be just over 300-340 yards with the BC of .310. For me, that still is a great factory ammo I won't pass up.

The 110 Accubond has a min velocity of 1900 feet per second so it runs just over 300 yards for factory ammo as well from the Ballistic programs I've played with. Still I have some left for my ARP I'm using for that gun for one more or two deer season. For Varmints I use the 115 Fusions.

Both are a form of bonded bullet, as usual it depends how the bullets hit to have a pass through or not. Bullets hitting a critter is where Mr. Murphy comes in, some times its a nice pass through, other times you hit bone several times and get no pass through. But I like pass throughs with an expanding bullet, so I go with bonded bullets. These are my two experiences with 2 bullets I use, hope it helps. Oh most hits I got where pass throughs, but hitting some heavy bones, like this year, the bullet ricocheted off neck bones and went down and hit the deer through the leg! Mr. Murphy tried to get me there.

For a tough 6.8 bullet, Barnes 95 TTSX is a great monlithic one, my brother uses them and has good pass through and blood trails from them.

EDITCUS: Well seeing X-Man's 115 federal fusion bullet performance. At 1900 fps at 300 yards it seems it would be around the stated .378 BC. But he did a check, I think it was that made the BC a .301 I read on here. So all in all...its a Maybe, Maybe not thingy.
I was going to respond to this post but you guys beat it to death then stomped it to mush. Get a longer barrel and heavier bullet or learn to track your game unless you're shooting small deer and coyotes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wonder what the velocity is on a factory loaded 90gr fusion though. 6.8 is a little different animal handloaded with 90gr gd and it’s really hard to say without knowing the velocity of that particular box . I have a 13.7” that I run the 90gr gd at 2940ish and that same load out of an 8” runs them at 2560ish , I’d have to check my data but those numbers are pretty close. There is merit to being too close and the velocity speed keeping the bullets from pass through though. Example, I loaded my 338lm with a 165 gr barnes ttsx at roughly 3600-3700 FPS and again I need to check my data but the point of the load was for a laser beam trajectory in the yardage I needed it for and to stop what I was shooting as property lines were close. I hit an 8 point buck at 140 yards and no pass through. None
Even with a 338 lapua and a bullet in excess of 3500 FPS . The bullet expanded literally when it hit hair and stuck in the inside of the opposite side of the hide. So close range soft gold dot out of a short barrel with a factory loaded velocity might have created a similar scenario.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I was going to respond to this post but you guys beat it to death then stomped it to mush. Get a longer barrel and heavier bullet or learn to track your game unless you're shooting small deer and coyotes.
I'm not sure but I think you on did respond to this post . Longer barrel would be higher velosisity which may have caused quicker expansion and less penetration . Heavier bullet is a good option as long as it's a non fragmenting bullet . I believe zz top got it right when he advised s&b ptsp . Plenty of expansion , don't fragment and good size exit wound .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know that 338 165gr barnes did,, whooowee how’d you like to be on the receiving end of that one. That was lights out

21 - 40 of 41 Posts