6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Tang mount would be great if you can get it to work.

Reactions: sfs13

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'd like to see an adjustable butstock on this. ARs are great because you can adjust it depending on if you're wearing heavy winter clothes or a summer T-shirt or chest protection.
Possible. Would have to decide how I would do that. Im mostly focused on the guts right now, wo I can do a print to check function. Then I can spend time optimizing things for machining etc.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Quick update. I did a 3d print of the lever and gear to check how they meshed. I am happy with that interface. I verified that my lever will turn the gear 360 degrees like I need for the design to work. The next area to print / focus on is the hammer and trigger. There are some areas of improvement needed on the lever (increase the back loop diameter to accomdate gloves, stiffen the gear teeth attachment.) I will make those minor changes and move on to the trigger and hammer. Anyone know a machine shop that wont charge me an arm and leg for a low run part? I want to the the gear and charging handle made while i finish the receiver and trigger

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Since the part is a one off and you already have the CAD file, would a shop that does 3-D metal printing be an option?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Since the part is a one off and you already have the CAD file, would a shop that does 3-D metal printing be an option?
I would be a little worried about strength there. For the gear I could buy some off the shelf gears and get them trimmed to the proper thickness. Ill take a look around amd see if there are any.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Anyone know a machine shop that wont charge me an arm and leg for a low run part?
I know of a shop in Flagstaff that might be able to help you with this project. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So my first concept could be machined, but I went back to the drawing board a bit. I have incorporated the ability to use an AR trigger and saftey, this required an internal hammer setup instead of external. This would provide greater aftermarket support., Plus save some development cost. Working the details on the BCG, some ergonomics, them moving on to the stock.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Sweet! Does this mean you might go to a upper and lower receiver with pins?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sweet! Does this mean you might go to a upper and lower receiver with pins?
Unfortunately no. I had to move the fire control group back about 3 inches. I cant see a way to make a decent lever mechanism in a standard lower / upper combo. I know its been done, but thats beyond my ability. I am trying to use as many AR parts as possible though. With the latest iteration the BCG, Firing pin, Reciever, and probably the mag will be my design. Only changing the mag release for ergonomics. Since I moved the fire control group so far back. The amazing thing is the internal volume is still is about the same size as an AR lower (to the entry of the buffer tube).

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I was thinking a unique upper half and lower half of your design. My Marlin 39 splits into two halves but they are left and right.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was thinking a unique upper half and lower half of your design. My Marlin 39 splits into two halves but they are left and right.
I've got a few cough cough* Marlins. My 39A is the smoothest and best shooting 22lr I have. Too bad they don't make them any more. I've seen them selling for $4k for the octagon barrel version.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Here is a cut away view. I'm working on details now such as how its going to be assembled, if the take down pins are going to be capitve (probably not), then moving on to the stock. I think the hardest part to get machined will be the BCG, since the gear teeth have to be cut into the bottom of it.

Font Rectangle Facade Drawing Art

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Nativeman, looking good. More detail in every new post.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here is a cut away view. I'm working on details now such as how its going to be assembled, if the take down pins are going to be capitve (probably not), then moving on to the stock. I think the hardest part to get machined will be the BCG, since the gear teeth have to be cut into the bottom of it.

View attachment 77099
If you go with non-captive take down pins, have holes in the stock so you can stick the pins in there while it’s taken apart. That way they are less likely to get dropped and go rolling away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Im starting to send the upper and lower receivers out for quote. Also seeing if I can get the owner of Go2weapons (a family friend) to review the model. Since they manufacture precision AR-15s and AR-10s. The work remaining is detailed the BCG, and a new firing pin (its too long for the mil spec one) and detailing the stock. The attachment points to the receiver is done already.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts