1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I mentioned I was considering using designing a lever action that would

1. Use and AR magazine
2. Use an AR style barrel extension

The image below is the first concept. Still alot of details to work out, but it seems feasable. I have been able to keep the MAG, mag release, barrel extension, and standard AR bolt to give flexibility. The BCG and trigger will have to be a new design. Length of pull in this design is 14.75 inches

Line Rectangle Font Parallel Gun barrel

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Pondering what would be the best alternative to replace my semi-auto AR for night hog hunting, I have thought a lever action would give me the best option for effective follow-up shots on a sounder. A pump wouldn't work because it would interfere with the tripod. Bolt actions are available but even a straight-pull would be lacking in the shot recovery phase, IMO. But that seems to be the only option so I'm building a bolt action for now. I think the biggest challenge for a lever action that uses AR magazines would be interference with the lever travel to cycle the action. It may have to go forward of 90 and, at a minimum, interfere with high capacity magazines (still would be great with a 10-shot). May compensate with a longer receiver.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

I also found some AR lever designs that are already out there.

Not sure this one is real.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun accessory Recreation

This one is real.
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

Keep us posted.

Reactions: Guts and earlytom

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pondering what would be the best alternative to replace my semi-auto AR for night hog hunting, I have thought a lever action would give me the best option for effective follow-up shots on a sounder. A pump wouldn't work because it would interfere with the tripod. Bolt actions are available but even a straight-pull would be lacking in the shot recovery phase, IMO. But that seems to be the only option so I'm building a bolt action for now. I think the biggest challenge for a lever action that uses AR magazines would be interference with the lever travel to cycle the action. It may have to go forward of 90 and, at a minimum, interfere with high capacity magazines (still would be great with a 10-shot). May compensate with a longer receiver.

View attachment 76529

I also found some AR lever designs that are already out there.

Not sure this one is real.
View attachment 76528

This one is real.
View attachment 76531

Keep us posted.
The first one is real. I did have to go longer on the reciever compared to a standard reciever. Hence the custom bcg and fcg. Working on the FCG design now, then will work on the lever mechanism. You need 3 inches of linear travel to clear the mag.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
If you are going to use AR magazines, I believe it is beneficial to have a magazine well support the magazine all the way around. I know just the handguard I would want to run on there, Timber Creek. Of course if you using an AR barrel, then folks would likely want the option to take the handguard they took off their AR when they moved their barrel over from their semi- to their lever-action receiver.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: Guts

·
Registered
653 Posts
I’m very curious how your design progresses, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are going to use AR magazines, I believe it is beneficial to have a magazine well support the magazine all the way around. I know just the handguard I would want to run on there, Timber Creek. Of course if you using an AR barrel, then folks would likely want the option to take the handguard they took off their AR when they moved their barrel over from their semi- to their lever-action receiver.

Keep us posted.
I can extend the mag well. I put that curve in for ergonomics / looks. I might need to make the reciver a bit taller anyway for the lever mechanism. As far as the lever throw, I need to do a motion check, but i have it as 35 degrees from rest at the moment. So a very short stroke to cycle. Once I can do a motion study I plan to do a 3d print at home to check it out. So you would want use a standard handguard? That will drive a good bit more height into the reciever for a pic rail.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Many of the "tactical" lever guns are running pic rails. I would want to run optics on it, likely a night scope.

Have you run your 6.8 ARs with no gas so you manually have to extract the round? Remove the gas block or install the gas block backwards. I have no problem with my 6.8 bolt-action but I often have to remove the upper and pry the bolt open. If I'm running lower pressure rounds, they extracted ok. I only bring this up because you plan is to use an AR bolt. More lever trail means more leverage to open the bolt and extract the case.

·
Registered
653 Posts
A thought. The Winchester M88 was/is able to use extended DBMs and even FAL mags can be tweaked to work.
I’ve got one in 308 Win, haven’t tried any other mags other than stock. I’d like to see if other mags work. Stock mags are very expensive and hard to find.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ours is a 57 with a fancy grade walnut stock, a sweet near hair trigger (rare) and is a tack driver in 308. The scope is a 4X Weaver El Paso in a tip-off. At 6.5 lbs not quite 8 lbs loaded and slung it is my favorite hunting rifle and a family heirloom. We have a M100 to match, same scope and mount, but it isn't half the rifle. The M88 is a treasure so the M100 gets the most use of the two. It is good one but not as accurate with an ordinary trigger and stock its a good GP saddle gun.

The after market 8 round magazine was called a 'Cloyer Clip' IIRC. I have seen them for 120.00 and wish I had bought them both now. If you find one buy it.

The Fal 20 rounders work I have been told, but need to be tweaked to work. Numrich has 88 reproductions for 50.00 or so. BTW they also sell the slave pins so you can take them all the way down to clean them good. The 100 and 88 mags are interchangeable in the 243/308 too. I like the detachable box mags for hunting. It keeps different projectiles handy and I can keep the 500-600 yard ones at body temperature for consistency.

I will probably pick up a couple of FAL mags sometime to see what I can do with them. Though as the old saying goes its better to hunt with a fighting rifle than fight with a hunting rifle...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many of the "tactical" lever guns are running pic rails. I would want to run optics on it, likely a night scope.

Have you run your 6.8 ARs with no gas so you manually have to extract the round? Remove the gas block or install the gas block backwards. I have no problem with my 6.8 bolt-action but I often have to remove the upper and pry the bolt open. If I'm running lower pressure rounds, they extracted ok. I only bring this up because you plan is to use an AR bolt. More lever trail means more leverage to open the bolt and extract the case.
Added a rail on the top. Its pretty short to be honest. I should be 3d printing and testing my lever, gear, and trigger setup soon. I added in the M4A1 mode for size comparison
White Air gun Trigger Machine gun Line

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Looks like good progress. An offset scope mount should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A thought. The Winchester M88 was/is able to use extended DBMs and even FAL mags can be tweaked to work.
You could get any QD system designed for an AR 15 for this setup. Thats the whole point Im going after. AR'S are great from an ergonomics point, but what makes them so popular is how modular they are. Im trying to bring as much of their modularity as I can to this design. So far the barrel extension, bolt, mags, mag release, are all standard AR parts. The BCG and fire control have to be custom.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Added a rail on the top. Its pretty short to be honest. I should be 3d printing and testing my lever, gear, and trigger setup soon. I added in the M4A1 mode for size comparison View attachment 76575
I like your concept of a rack and pinion action. I have thought this type of action would be good for short rifle and pistol cartridges.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ours is a 57 with a fancy grade walnut stock, a sweet near hair trigger (rare) and is a tack driver in 308. The scope is a 4X Weaver El Paso in a tip-off. At 6.5 lbs not quite 8 lbs loaded and slung it is my favorite hunting rifle and a family heirloom. We have a M100 to match, same scope and mount, but it isn't half the rifle. The M88 is a treasure so the M100 gets the most use of the two. It is good one but not as accurate with an ordinary trigger and stock its a good GP saddle gun.

The after market 8 round magazine was called a 'Cloyer Clip' IIRC. I have seen them for 120.00 and wish I had bought them both now. If you find one buy it.

The Fal 20 rounders work I have been told, but need to be tweaked to work. Numrich has 88 reproductions for 50.00 or so. BTW they also sell the slave pins so you can take them all the way down to clean them good. The 100 and 88 mags are interchangeable in the 243/308 too. I like the detachable box mags for hunting. It keeps different projectiles handy and I can keep the 500-600 yard ones at body temperature for consistency.

I will probably pick up a couple of FAL mags sometime to see what I can do with them. Though as the old saying goes its better to hunt with a fighting rifle than fight with a hunting rifle...
The 88 also has a rotary style bolt. The lever throw is short and could easily be used with extended mags but the rest of the action is a bit of a contraption, the trigger assembly moving with the lever. From what I’ve seen, trigger quality might depend on the time of day it wad made?

The trigger on my ‘64 isn’t horrible and I feel confident when I pull the trigger. Mine is well used and is no-show piece but it is my favorite hunting rifle.

I don’t want to hijack Nativeman’s thread but keep us posted on the progress of those FN mags.

Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 88 also has a rotary style bolt. The lever throw is short and could easily be used with extended mags but the rest of the action is a bit of a contraption, the trigger assembly moving with the lever. From what I’ve seen, trigger quality might depend on the time of day it wad made?

The trigger on my ‘64 isn’t horrible and I feel confident when I pull the trigger. Mine is well used and is no-show piece but it is my favorite hunting rifle.

I don’t want to hijack Nativeman’s thread but keep us posted on the progress of those FN mags.
I have copied the AR sear and engagement angle. I plan on doing a 3D print in the next couple of weeks to check geometry and function of the gear ratios

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok last update before I start sending parts thru the 3d printer to check the geometry. With the gear rations the lever throw is about 48 degrees rotation. I have to rework the safety so

Cross bolt on the receiver, or tang mounted?
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

Trigger Urban design Font Pattern Engineering

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Looking forward to pics of the 3-D model

1 - 20 of 39 Posts