6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opening day of bou season and I was lucky enough to see one. Trotting through "low alders" which are 3-5 ft. high and very thick. Waited for it to hit an opening and double lunged it. Knew I hit it but when I did he almost stopped and started to turn so hit it again before it disappeared. That dropped it. Hornady 120 SST. POF.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Grats on the buck (!) but I gotta ask..is it still in velvet?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Umm. You live in AK? That looks like a Carabou to me.

Check that. Saw you wrote bou season. Thought you meant bow season. That's awesome. Not a lot of Carabou take on this site. Did you sit on the gut pile for Wolves?

·
Administrator
22,078 Posts
Mmmm... love me some young 'bou !!! A few might be surprised to learn that cows grow antlers too... although, not NICE looking ones like a bull does. Heart and tongue soup right after a hunt was a tradition my dad and I had when we used to hunt 'bou together. :a31:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a cow. Poster was correct that they have antlers too. Checked next morning for activity at gut pile but hadn't been. Then had to head home. Should be good eating.

·
Administrator
22,078 Posts
That is a cow. Poster was correct that they have antlers too. Checked next morning for activity at gut pile but hadn't been. Then had to head home. Should be good eating.
I used to send a large pile of grinder meat (all the tiny trimmings from multiple animals taken) to Alaska Sausage in Anchorage. They added to it for making sausage, and I usually ended up with much more (weight) meat than I sent them. 'Bou Dogs, 'Bou sausage (like Kielbasa), 'Bou 'Roni (pepperoni). NEVER disappointed.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Good hunt. Hope you have many more. The 6.8 is a great hunting round.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Caribou would definitely be fun with the 6.8.

·
Administrator
22,078 Posts
They're great eating... dumb as a post though. Used to refer to 'em as four-legged Zombies when I was working in the arctic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts