6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First attempt at cerakoting, elite series and stencils. Never painted with a air compressor spray gun before. Had a couple of mishap with the upper. It failed off the hook a couple time so I need to hook them better. Still need to fully cure it. Will do that after supper tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks good man. What I learned from my duracoating was prep work was most important also do like a walk through. Way you know how you gotta spray and hold it.

Did my fair share of redos too :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good man. What I learned from my duracoating was prep work was most important also do like a walk through. Way you know how you gotta spray and hold it.

Did my fair share of redos too :)
I figure a will try a few more times on this set before I move to a set I really care about and use.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks real nice. It going to be a 6.8 when you’re all done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks real nice. It going to be a 6.8 when you’re all done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No just a testing set, no plans to build it out. I want to do whole process a couple more times. Then I have a aero billet set I will spray and move my TAC30 over. Then I will probably spray my mossberg MVP 6.8, I will probably order a MDT chassis for it and spray that.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks great. So it doesn't change the specs on holes or other fits???
From their training material

“Cerakote is applied at 0.0005 - 0.001”

I had one sprayed from a certified applicator with 3 color reptile and no fit issues.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Looking great for first time! I had a hard time picking it out in the picture the silhouette was disrupted so well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
From their training material

“Cerakote is applied at 0.0005 - 0.001”

I had one sprayed from a certified applicator with 3 color reptile and no fit issues.

Thanks! Actually that amount of better fit probably helps trigger/hammer pins anyway.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Built a 6.8 last week for a friend that sprayed his receivers with aluma-hyde. PIA big time.
Normally hand turn drill bits through the pin holes to remove burrs - in this case to remove the paint fill. Again - PIA.
Fill the pin holes and machined areas with rolled paper or blue tape before painting. HTH.
-
Alphasig - Nice work, looks great !

·
Registered
397 Posts
Built a 6.8 last week for a friend that sprayed his receivers with aluma-hyde. PIA big time.
Normally hand turn drill bits through the pin holes to remove burrs - in this case to remove the paint fill. Again - PIA.
Fill the pin holes and machined areas with rolled paper or blue tape before painting. HTH.
-
Alphasig - Nice work, looks great !
I haven't tried cerakote yet. Have used Gunkote on a few lowers.

The edges at the pins began chipping away, so I tried removing the GK with airplane stripper and that didn't phase it so I blasted it off with aluminum oxide.

Did a thorough clean as instructed by a tech at KG and sprayed them with KG a second time. It's coming off again. :(

At least I didn't have any issues with the ID of holes and pins not fitting.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is my attempt on a mdt chassis for the mvp 6.8 bolt action.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts