6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to build my first AR and I have loved the 6.8 SPC since I first heard about it. I don't have any reloading gear and will definitely need to pick some up if I want to afford to shoot a 6.8. With all the cost of the rifle and the reloading gear, it'd be nice not to spend a small fortune, so I'm wondering how bad a Model1 6.8 kit really is. Anyone have some experience with one? If it's going to get the job done inside 300 yards for coyote sized targets (accuracy wise I mean) then it's okay by me. I could theoretically push my budget more toward the rifle and maybe build up a ko-tonics but my reloading budget would suffer and I might not have anything to feed it.

Any advice is welcome, even if it's to stick with .223 right now and upgrade later. I'd just like to use the rifle for deer and hog, which I would hesitate to go after with .223.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Welcome aboard. What I would do is get the Ko-Tonics 16" grunt with either a fixed or Flip-up sight which costs $490. If you already have a Bolt Carrier and charging handle, just get a 6.8SPC bolt.

Another great alternative is the RRA 6.8SPC Mid-Length upper, but the RRA is not chrome lined.

I would stay away from the Model 1 and the STAG as they do not have M4 Ramps. Model 1 is supposed to be changing their barrels to a 1:11" twist so I would call them up and see if and they are changing.

Bushmaster is another company that ticks me off because they have chrome lined barrels and M4 ramps (actually they call them M2 feed ramps), but they have the SAAMI Chamber.

As far as reloading goes, just buy what you can afford now and save some money for the rest. The one thing I would not cheap out on is the upper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After much research I've decided to go with a RRA 6.8 upper and probably a Mega lower since that's the only one I can find that says "multi-caliber" and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. As for reloading, the Lee Anniversary Kit is temptingly well priced. I think for the low volume use I'd be putting through it and for that fact that I'd probably be replacing it once I learn the ropes and save some more cash, the Lee would be about perfect. What about dies? Does Lee make 6.8 SPC dies at all? I couldn't find a set on MidwayUSA. Would dies from another company work fine with the Lee press?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
NorCalRifleman said:
After much research I've decided to go with a RRA 6.8 upper and probably a Mega lower since that's the only one I can find that says "multi-caliber" and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. As for reloading, the Lee Anniversary Kit is temptingly well priced. I think for the low volume use I'd be putting through it and for that fact that I'd probably be replacing it once I learn the ropes and save some more cash, the Lee would be about perfect. What about dies? Does Lee make 6.8 SPC dies at all? I couldn't find a set on MidwayUSA. Would dies from another company work fine with the Lee press?
Any dies will work. I use the Hornady and RCBS dies and a lot of guys like the Redding dies. I also recommend getting the LEE FCD Crimp die to crimp the bullets.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm pretty excited about getting an AR and especially a 6.8 SPC. I've decided that it's better to spend money on the right barrel and upper receiver, then spend money on forearms and rails and whatever else later. For now, I'll just get something that'll do the job and see what I really need down the road. I'm really looking forward to flooding the hunting forum with pictures of my harvests :D . Call me an optimist.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
NorCalRifleman said:
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm pretty excited about getting an AR and especially a 6.8 SPC. I've decided that it's better to spend money on the right barrel and upper receiver, then spend money on forearms and rails and whatever else later. For now, I'll just get something that'll do the job and see what I really need down the road. I'm really looking forward to flooding the hunting forum with pictures of my harvests :D . Call me an optimist.
You have a good plan. Happy hunting.

Have you chosen the powder yet? I'd suggest H322 and X-Terminator powders.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no clue about powder selection, or bullets and brass for that matter. I basically want to get one plinking load and one hunting load. I'm not concerned with squeezing every last foot per second out of it. As long as I can but a bullet through the boiler room, I'm happy. I'll give those powders a shot (oh, that was a bad one :roll: ).

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
NorCalRifleman said:
I have no clue about powder selection, or bullets and brass for that matter. I basically want to get one plinking load and one hunting load. I'm not concerned with squeezing every last foot per second out of it. As long as I can but a bullet through the boiler room, I'm happy. I'll give those powders a shot (oh, that was a bad one :roll: ).
Read this thread when you get a chance to help out with bullet selection.

http://68forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=483

For Brass, get the SSA brass. For Primers, the Remington 6 1/2 are pretty good.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Any dies will work. I use the Hornady and RCBS dies and a lot of guys like the Redding dies. I also recommend getting the LEE FCD Crimp die to crimp the bullets.

Yeah, the Lee factory crimp dies. They say are the best for auto-loaders, if Midway is sold out you can click on the "REMIND ME" button and they will notify you by email when they get some more in. And there priced really good $9.29, hope this may help. I too have been slowly putting together a reloading kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts