6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all!

I finally sold my DPMS LR308-T, so rather than letting that money burn a hole in my pocket, I started putting together a pile of parts to build a 6.8 SPC upper. I ordered everything but the barrel & bolt (waiting for the ARP Superbolts and SOCOM barrels to pop back up) last week, and everything (except the parts from Optics Planet...) showed up today.

So far, I have:

1. Fulton Armory M4 upper receiver;
2. LaRue SAT 13.2" handguard;
3. USGI bolt carrier & associated parts (FP, FP retainer, cam pin, charging handle); and
4. SSS AR Gas Vent (don't know if it will help with "gas face," but it sure can't hurt).

Waiting on my port door & associated parts, gas block, gas tube, and ASC magazine from Optics Planet.

This will all be going (for the time being, at least...) on my "A2" lower receiver. Rifle buffer tube, Armaspec SRS (H3 weight, IIRC). I realize the ARP barrels are gassed to work perfectly with C buffers and springs, so that will take some fiddling with. I do have some different weights for the SRS, all the way down to C weight.

I'll be lapping the face of my receiver and installing the gas vent tonight, then installing the port door once my OP box arrives. Other than that, it's just a matter of waiting for the SOCOM barrels and Superbolts to reach ARP.

Any words of wisdom before I get started here?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the upper lapped the other night -- it took a bit to get it there.

My Optics Planet order came in today, and the port door will be going onto the upper in the next couple of days (depending on SWMBO's work schedule...). I'll go ahead and get the gas tube in the gas block, then it'll all live in a box on my work bench until I can pick up my barrel and bolt.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
EARLY XMAS..........Congrats. Now you is gonna be a "dangerous man"....lol Much fun when you imagined project becomes reality. Enjoy........you did it yourself(soon)
Pics would be nice

·
Registered
340 Posts
Tanlover, did you type that in a whisper? For some reason I read this entire thread in a whisper. No offense OP, just the way I read it.

Bonus points if you can guess the voice that I heard/read it in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tanlover, did you type that in a whisper? For some reason I read this entire thread in a whisper. No offense OP, just the way I read it.

Bonus points if you can guess the voice that I heard/read it in.
From Family Guy
No offense taken. Not sure how I could have -- you're the one who hears Stewie Griffin's voice whispering in your head. :ROFLMAO:

"Pass the Cool wHip."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mower axles were delivered yesterday. However, as my wife still doesn't know about this project, I used my FedEx account to have them hold the package at a local FedEx dropoff location, rather than delivering it to my house. I didn't get a chance to go by there until this morning.

I'm extremely pleased with what I see in the box. Now it's time to sneak this into the house over the weekend and wait 'til SWMBO goes to work Monday night...

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is all about Christmas.

When something comes and I get the raised eyebrow, I smile and say 'Christmas' and put it the office or shop.

This last mower axle is going to son's address. They know it's for 'Christmas' too.

My wife 'buys' me a new rifle every Christmas.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
"Gunrunning!" for you Pat McManus fans

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Actually, the origin of "Dangerous Man" was Midnight Cowboy....Jon Vought finds "Ratso" after "Ratso" ripped him off. In a futile attempt to get his money back he says, "You be careful. I am a thoroughly dangerous man".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to re-rail the thread, fellas... :ROFLMAO:

My mower axles arrived safely, and all looks great.

Unfortunately, my choice of handguard necessitated investing in another tool. Specifically, a PRI barrel nut wrench. The way the LaRue barrel nut and handguard attachment are set up, one must have extra-long pins in the barrel nut wrench in order to reach the holes and tighten the barrel nut without slippage.

My PRI barrel nut wrench is waiting for me at the post office. Luckily Optics Planet got right on the ball with this shipment...

It'll still be another few days before I get 'er all together, given SWMBO's work schedule. Pics soon, I promise!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Started the process of assembling the upper last night. All was going well -- the barrel extension-to-receiver fit is tight, so I applied a bit of heat to the upper and gently tapped the barrel home with a Delrin mallet. No need to bed -- she's not going anywhere.

Then came time to torque. 30 ft-lbs. left me 1/3 of a hole past the hole in the upper. Going all the way to 80, I couldn't get her to line up. No problem, I have barrel nut shims, right?

Yeah... The only shims I have left are for DPMS-pattern large-frame rifles.

Called a buddy, borrowed a shim set from him, and we'll get 'er buttoned up tonight.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Started the process of assembling the upper last night. All was going well -- the barrel extension-to-receiver fit is tight, so I applied a bit of heat to the upper and gently tapped the barrel home with a Delrin mallet. No need to bed -- she's not going anywhere.

Then came time to torque. 30 ft-lbs. left me 1/3 of a hole past the hole in the upper. Going all the way to 80, I couldn't get her to line up. No problem, I have barrel nut shims, right?

Yeah... The only shims I have left are for DPMS-pattern large-frame rifles.

Called a buddy, borrowed a shim set from him, and we'll get 'er buttoned up tonight.
Did you snug the nut up and loosen it a few times before final torque? Did you lube the nut?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you snug the nut up and loosen it a few times before final torque? Did you lube the nut?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
Yes and yes. I suspect the amount of material I had to remove when squaring the face played a role in this.

The smallest shim I was able to access was .004”, and it was just enough to get it perfect at 35 ft-lbs.

The rest of the assembly went suspiciously smoothly.

Got her all together tonight. Tomorrow night will be clean and lube night — I’m beat.

I’m playing single dad the rest of the week. Momma is out of state for training until Friday night, so it’s just me and the kids (3 y/o and 1 y/o).

Here’s a pretty terrible pic (ignore the state of my workbench, please...):

·
Registered
815 Posts
Wow, your bench is really neat..........compared to mine. Nice looking rifle too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took the rifle by to my friend the gun pusher today (who happens to be a PRS snob...).

Much to my surprise, he seemed really excited to wring it out a bit. "Dude. Do you have some Hornady Black? If so, let's see how she does at 1,000! Those 110 V-Maxes ought to be great."

This, of course, after he tried and tried to talk me out of a 6.8 build and into a 6 ARC build. :ROFLMAO:

I also promptly ordered up some 100 gr. Controlled Chaos from Druid Hill Armory. I really wanted some 90 gr. Gold Dots, but they're out of stock for the foreseeable future...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts