6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second batch of 130 grain rounds finished. 400 more to go. Hopefully I’ll get some time this week to get to the range and fire them off. Then the real reloading can start.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
What brass are you using that you have to fire form? I shoot 130s all the time in new 6.8 brass.

Reactions: MBW36330

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m shooting Star Line brass. Maybe “fire forming” wasn’t the best choice. But after reading several sites it recommends to fire once then proceed to reload as normal. It is supposed to increase the internal capacity of the brass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First rounds from my rifle. Bottom right is dead on at 50yds after adjustment. Now to put the rest of my rounds down range.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Maybe “fire forming” wasn’t the best choice. But after reading several sites it recommends to fire once then proceed to reload as normal. It is supposed to increase the internal capacity of the brass.
This is true but there is no reason not to develop a viable, high-performance load with new brass. IMO, you are just wasting time and resources if you don't. Then when all your brass is once fired, adjust your load for the resized brass (with 0.003-0.004" shoulder set-back - not back to SAAMI). My updated recipe in fired, resized brass can be as much 0.3 to 0.5 grains more. This typically brings the velocity back up to the load you developed in new brass.

Caution - a load/power charge developed in resized brass cannot be used in new, unfired brass because of risk of over-pressure. This also applies if a developed load is near max pressure in one type of manufacturer's brass - it may cause over-pressure if loaded in a different manufacturer's brass, new or resized.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After firing 100 rounds today I came to realize that. Lol. I saved the other 400 for another time. Now I start working on some 90 grain and 115 grain loads. That should keep me busy till the 90’s come back in stock on RMR site.

What is “shoulder set back”?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If you want maximum performance from your 130's you should use S&B brass. It is the strongest and has the largest case capacity.
Federal and Starline have the lowest case capacity in 6.8 brass.
I'm not saying they wont work. There's just more performance to be had.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
What is “shoulder set back”?
That is how far back you setup your resizing die to move the shoulder. This gives you the maximum case capacity and lowest chamber pressure while maintaining reliable feeding in an AR. Set it back anymore or back to SAAMI as the die instructions likely detail and you defeat the benefits of fire-forming to your chamber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts