·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
Nice!

·
Premium Member
18,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just make sure you shoot it, frequently!
I would guess it has been in the back of the safe since the 70s and probably not fired since the 30s if the chain of ownership is what they think it is. To them it's just an old gun passed down through the family, none of them were deer hunters. There were about 20 expensive newer duck guns in front of it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
What kind of shape are the barrels and innards in? I've wondered about the condition of rifles like this that haven't been shot in decades. Do the old oils form a protective varnish or must they still get cleaned and oiled periodically?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Very nice!

I have a 92 take down octagonal 44-40, nice stock, barrel with excellent rifling looks not fired much. Manufacturing date 1895.

Bought from a collector because he said it was trashed. Someone had re-blued it. $300.00. I was living in Australia at the time and there were many '92s in farmers' closets.

·
Premium Member
18,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of shape are the barrels and innards in? I've wondered about the condition of rifles like this that haven't been shot in decades. Do the old oils form a protective varnish or must they still get cleaned and oiled periodically?
I haven't had time to check it out yet, we were oiling and wiping off everything in the safe after my father in law passed and had not touched anything in the safe in 3 years.

·
Administrator
22,751 Posts
That Winnie is a little jewel right there!! Try a dab of Flitz metal polish if you want to see that bluing gleam again. Crack it open and do the internals with it and see what you think of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts