6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting settled enough to get it all set up , and hoping to make it to the range tomorrow, I got out my small lot of 6.8 brass I found on Gunbroker and started priming the cases. Of course it was uneventful until the next to the last case when the primer got stuck halfway in, half out of the pocket. Naturally this precluded the case being removed from my RCBS hand primer and halted the whole op. The primer was out far enough to really prevent it from coming out, and the priming rod just would not move any further in. What in the world was going on? Finally, after about a 20 minute battle, I got the priming tool apart, the case still in the shell holder and was able to get it free. I honestly dont remember exactly what did the trick but I did immediately get out my universal recapping die and removed the primer, and it was really jammed in there, thanks to me I guess. What I discovered was a new one on me.
The case is a S&B case, one of the 200 I bought used, at a decent price I might add. The primer pocket on this case is really weird and I have absolutely no idea how this case was ever primed because as far as a primer can be inserted is .0854". Its just really strangely formed too. Didnt find any others like this though. Anybody ever see this or anything similar? I havent, in any caliber. The seller says they were all from factory ammo, I dont see how this one got out the door.
So, after dealing with this, I did in fact get to load up my first 6.8 rounds. S&B brass, CCI41 and Reloader 10 under the 90gr Gold Dots I got from RMR, 2.245" COAL and 1.787" to the ogive. The 2.245 put me right at the bottom of the cannalure, just into it for a light crimp, of about .002" I have a PRI modified magazine from CBB but there is no way that bullet can be loaded to anywhere near 2.36" to take advantage of that mags capacity. Oh well, I have quite a few other bullets to use for that.
There is actually some load data on the instructions that are in the set of the LEE dies I bought and I did use that. Lee's data for a 90gr bullet is 26-29.5gr with reloader10, I started with 27.7 and went to 29.2 in 3gr increments for 5 rounds each. Well see how it goes. I hope to see decent numbers and decent accuracy because I hate to wasting both my barrels or my bullets, not to mention powder. If I see 1-1.5moa performance at 200 and 300 I'll call that a win. Honestly, that's really about all I expect of, and strive for, with any of my handloads, in any caliber. I often am surprised by my luck and get groups that are sometimes half or a quarter of that but if I can get an MOA sized group at those distances, I'm happy and will rarely if ever peruse it further.
Here is a pic of that weird case.
15932767655153921963296693836032.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I thought maybe that was it too bit I actually had to cut the pocket to depth with a uniformed and most definitely not a primer shell.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that didnt work out as I had hoped. I think the best I got was about 5moa @100 yards. The shots were all over the place. Checked my scope mount to make sure it was on right, it was, unfortunately. Maybe the barrel just doesnt like that combination, or Reloader10, or the 90gr gold dots which I really hope isnt the case, I bought a bunch of them.
The really strange part is that even with the hornady American Gunner stuff accuracy was really just terrible, I was just crushed. Chronograph went down too for whatever reason so I dont even know what velocities I was getting, not that it really matters because I will never load any of those again.
I had no intention of cleaning the barrel until absolutely necessary but after that sad performance I had to revisit that. I went ahead and gave it a light cleaning, no brushes at all, just some patches with Hoppes and then some clp after. If that and a complete new load doesnt show any improvement I'm gonna have to check my barrel nut and really the whole upper. The rifle functions perfectly, never having any ftf or fte, no short stroking, no nothing except smooth function but one shot would be 3 or 4 inches left, next way off to the right, high, low you name it, just everywhere except where I was aiming. And look, I'm not a high speed sniper or anything but I can shoot a rifle, I'm fairly decent at it, it wasn't me. Crap, I shoot off of a bunch of bags and all I have to do basically is pull the trigger.
Anybody have any suggestions or advice about reloading technique for this caliber that I may not be aware of having only ever loaded 5.56?
I'd post pics of the targets but I'm too ashamed.😁

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You can load GDs longer than the cannulure. I think I settled on 2.285 just because I have some mags that have that as their max COAL. Older C products mags and maybe D&H. My newer ASC mags go to at least 2.30".

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Are those 90 grain gold dots a flat base bullet? I always had problems loading flat base bullets with the Lee dies ....it was hard to get the bullet to go in the neck plumb ....If you have the equipment or know someone who has equipment you can check run out on the bullet ....
Try loading Hornady 110 grain HPBT with 28 gr of the 10X ..... this load has gave me consistent performance.... And is easier to load because of the boat tail design of the bullet.
Coal at 2.260

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just some input here from several years of reloading. Maybe the barrel does not like the 90gr. Harmonic distortions? I have some 110 Hornady's that I am about to load, and waiting on some 120gr SST to arrive. On a side note, on the pic with the primer pocket being weird, I had to ream out a bunch of S&B and Hornady round so the primer would fit perfectly. Luckily I have the Lyman case prep machine to take care of that. Have 149 cases ready to go once the projectiles arrive. Will update with what I find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well that didnt work out as I had hoped. I think the best I got was about 5moa @100 yards. The shots were all over the place. Checked my scope mount to make sure it was on right, it was, unfortunately. Maybe the barrel just doesnt like that combination, or Reloader10, or the 90gr gold dots which I really hope isnt the case, I bought a bunch of them.
The really strange part is that even with the hornady American Gunner stuff accuracy was really just terrible, I was just crushed. Chronograph went down too for whatever reason so I dont even know what velocities I was getting, not that it really matters because I will never load any of those again.
I had no intention of cleaning the barrel until absolutely necessary but after that sad performance I had to revisit that. I went ahead and gave it a light cleaning, no brushes at all, just some patches with Hoppes and then some clp after. If that and a complete new load doesnt show any improvement I'm gonna have to check my barrel nut and really the whole upper. The rifle functions perfectly, never having any ftf or fte, no short stroking, no nothing except smooth function but one shot would be 3 or 4 inches left, next way off to the right, high, low you name it, just everywhere except where I was aiming. And look, I'm not a high speed sniper or anything but I can shoot a rifle, I'm fairly decent at it, it wasn't me. Crap, I shoot off of a bunch of bags and all I have to do basically is pull the trigger.
Anybody have any suggestions or advice about reloading technique for this caliber that I may not be aware of having only ever loaded 5.56?
I'd post pics of the targets but I'm too ashamed.😁
Has it ever done well with factory ammo?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts