6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to stop in here and introduce myself. I have been a fan of this forum for a while. I have been into guns since I was a kid but never really owned any until About 7 years ago(I was active duty stationed in California. I didn't feel like dealing with all of their rules and regulations). When I decided to go with the 6.8 my searches always led me here. I'm very impressed with the knowledge and the time you folks take to do research and then post the results. Makes things easy for folks like myself.

I will be using my 6.8 for me first hunt this October. I was drawn for elk here in AZ and look forward to taking it out and getting its first kill.

About the build.....
After building several AR 5.56 rifles I figured it wouldn't be much different to do one in 6.8.
the upper is a slick side upper from my late friend Keith that made parts under Bootleg firearms. The barrel is a 16" one from Yankee Hill in a 1:11 twist in carbine length gas block. It's a Prime weapons nickel bolt carrier and the bolt is a Daniel defense 6.8 set up. The lower is from a local company Quentin Defense as well as the free float hand guard. CMMG LPK. The scope is a Barska sniper 1-4x34(most elk here in AZ are taken from 75-150 yds). The grip is a $5 grip from UTG. After installing one on my cousins 5.56 I fell in love with the ergonomics. I stuck one on my AR and then one on the 6.8. I also put a Spikes Tactical ST1 buffer with a better spring in it.

So far I love the rifle. I ordered most of the parts when I was deployed last summer. Then got the lower when I got back in November. I have only put 60 rounds through it but so far it's super comfortable to shoot. It's more enjoyable to shoot that the AR.

i need to get back out to the range and get more rounds through the rifle before my hunt just to get used to it and the fine tuning done. Next up will be deciding on which ammo to hunt with, but that's a whole other thread post.

Again, thanks for all of the info you folks have posted!

-Adam
Phoenix, AZ

Gun Airsoft gun Airsoft Air gun Shotgun

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Adam. And that's a nice lookin' rig too!

Lot's of info here...the search function works great but if you can't find the info you're looking for, everyone here will be glad to help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I figured this forum was just like most of the others I am a part of. I have been on search overload lately with ammo. With all of the info posted here just as soon as I think I have decided I read something else and then can't decide. It's not a bad problem to have.

·
Administrator
22,085 Posts
Welcome to the fray, congrats on the build. And, thank you for your service.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Thank you for your service

Good build, you will enjoy the 6.8 for hunting. Since you live in a relative free state you have a very large group of factory ammo to shoot and hunt with.

Usually the Hornady 120 grain is the first choice, but the S&B 110 plastic tipped ammo is both cheaper and nearly as deadly. Both are accurate, especially at those ranges.

Most barrels seem to start getting better around 60 rounds so order some now and enjoy!

Welcome to the 68 forum, although we enjoy all firearms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.