6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone on the forum is saying the 6.8 Federal 90 gr. is a Gold Dot. Is the Federal Fusion MSR 115 gr. in 6.8 also a Gold Dot? Are all Federal Fusion calibers a Gold Dot bullet? I have ammo in Federal Fusion in .270 and .280 calibers. Just wondering...........

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Everyone on the forum is saying the 6.8 Federal 90 gr. is a Gold Dot. Is the Federal Fusion MSR 115 gr. in 6.8 also a Gold Dot? Are all Federal Fusion calibers a Gold Dot bullet? I have ammo in Federal Fusion in .270 and .280 calibers. Just wondering...........
Yes, and no.

They are all the same construction.
Start out as a lead pellet, then plated, then shaped in a mold.

The term "Gold Dot" is usually used when referring to the flat based version of this bullet.
While the term "Fusion" is used when referring to the slightly rebated short boat-tail version of the bullet.
Both are made in the Speer plant in Lewiston Id.

I have always thought Speer did not release them as a component due to being a proprietary Federal projectile.
The real case is they are designed individually for the specific speed of the loaded ammo they are produced for.
Speer is worried if pushed by hand-loaders (would we do that?) they could fail to perform as planned and folks would then be unhappy with them.
They are an incredible projectile in all the configurations I have used in the 6.8 90gr, 115gr, 120gr and 130gr. Accurate and perfect expansion within their speed envelope.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gold Dot / Federal Fusion 90 gr.

Thank you for a very informative answer. And a quick response. The Fusion 115 gr. in my Daniel Defense 6.8 is very accurate at 100 yards. When I find the 90 gr (GD/Fusion) I will more than likely purchase a few boxes and compare the two for accuracy and of course lethal application on deer this October. I really like the posting results on the fps for the 90 gr. Starting to get close to the standard .270 caliber in 130 gr. The 90 gr. GD (Fusion) sounds just as deadly if not faster.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thank you for a very informative answer. And a quick response. The Fusion 115 gr. in my Daniel Defense 6.8 is very accurate at 100 yards. When I find the 90 gr (GD/Fusion) I will more than likely purchase a few boxes and compare the two for accuracy and of course lethal application on deer this October. I really like the posting results on the fps for the 90 gr. Starting to get close to the standard .270 caliber in 130 gr. The 90 gr. GD (Fusion) sounds just as deadly if not faster.
I get pretty much the same accuracy out of my 16" ARP Scout with both the Fusion and XM68GD so I stopped buying the Fusion since the XM68GD was available for so much less $$. Harvested a white tail with the 90 gr just fine last fall.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The xm68 is a good deal when it's 9.99/20. This is my ammo of choice to buy cheap and stack deep.
Everytime it goes on sale the UPS man hates me. I have 3-4K currently in ammo cans. Was able to fit 900 per 50 cal can in the factory boxes.

both my ARP barreled 68s love it. One 16" and the other is a 12.5".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts