6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite Thermal scope?

Ive been using a FLIR RS32 35mm for over 2 years now and it has been great. Not the best resolution or zoom but it works good. Never let me down with holding zero either.

But battery life is starting to get noticably shorter so i called FLIR to see if they could put me a new battery in and give it a good cleaning.
They said sure and sent a RMA# but i dont want to be without the thing.
Debating on buying another Thermal but there is so many out there now im not sure what i would want to get.

Ideas?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Having only looked through a handful of friend's thermal scopes and actually hunted with even fewer, my experience is limited. That being said, I am highly pleased with my Armasight Zeus 640 75mm 30hz. Great resolution, poi repeatability, not too heavy (for thermal), 30hz doesn't chew batteries up too fast and the 3x native mag hits the fov sweet spot at night for spot/stalk hog hunting. Btw I'm pretty sure the hogs on our ranch hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
899 Posts
Having only looked through a handful of friend's thermal scopes and actually hunted with even fewer, my experience is limited. That being said, I am highly pleased with my Armasight Zeus 640 75mm 30hz. Great resolution, poi repeatability, not too heavy (for thermal), 30hz doesn't chew batteries up too fast and the 3x native mag hits the fov sweet spot at night for spot/stalk hog hunting. Btw I'm pretty sure the hogs on our ranch hate it.

Faninland
Do you have any experience with the 60hz armasight that seems to be not as expensive. I think one is running around $4-4,500 and the Zeus is around $7k

·
Registered
399 Posts
Faninland
Do you have any experience with the 60hz armasight that seems to be not as expensive. I think one is running around $4-4,500 and the Zeus is around $7k
I think you might either be getting a really good price on a 640 core 60HZ refresh rate (60 images/ sec vs. 30Hz's 30 refresh images / sec) or be comparing a 640x512 (i.e "640") core model with a 336x256 (i.e. "320" or "336" core)

$6,500- 640- http://www.opticsplanet.com/armasight-zeus-3-thermal-imaging-rifles-scope.html

$4,800 336- http://www.opticsplanet.com/armasight-zeus-5-thermal-imaging-rifles-scope.html
In a 640x512 core, there are 640 horizontal lines and 512 vertical lines. This give the sensor about 328,000 pixels. A 336x256 core has 86,000 pixel, basically 25% of hte resolution of the 640 core. The 30Hz vs. 60Hz refresh rate is just 30 new images a second vs. 60. The Hz refresh rate, in my experience, a lot less important than the pixels.

To compare the 640 vs the 320 core's image, check out the 5/16/16 post and video by UNV_Rich at http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/4...ction_and_ID_Range_Picture_Thread.html&page=3

That being said, I hunted for 2 years with an ATN Thor 320 2x with a 30mm lens. It certainly got the job done and beat the hell out of my Gen 3 PVS14 and Gen 2 4x NV scopes for hog hunting. I don't really know if the Zeus' 640 core is 4 times as better of an image as the 320 core in the Thor, but it is certainly better/ crisper.

The software the scopes use to present the image to the screen is a very big part of the equation. I have a Pulsar HD38A (384x288 core) hand held monocular that gives an incredible image that is just slightly poorer than the 640 Zeus. And, the Pulsar is using an LCD screen instead of the OLED screen in the Zeus. For compariosn, I think a 1" square LCD screen is about $10. A 1" square OLED screen is $400 or so (those are not "real $#s, as I forget what the actual $s were, but the difference was that big). I think all of the thermal rifle scopes now use the OLED screens with the exception of Pulsar's entry level, but with the performance that my Pulsar HD38A puts out with an LCD, I wouldn't hesitate to look real hard at those.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I bought my Zeus 640 75mm 3x from optic plant around Memorial Day they gave me 10% off and the final price to 5800 with free shipping

1 - 6 of 6 Posts