6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now is everyones chance to prepare for the upcoming upheaval. You don’t have to be bright to see what’s on the horizon. There’s only one reason that the government would pay to destroy food and fine if not. They are also directing them to waste all kinds of resources.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Pray to the lord, row away from the rocks. Enjoy your day.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
They have been paying farmers not to plant fields for decades now. It is called farm subsidies. Not sure what the difference really is.

Reactions: leatherneck

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
My family has been on this place for 100 years. There have been many programs in affect. The CRP program is a very old program. TPWD: Conservation Reserve Program Some old people transfer their land into the program when farming becomes too hard, too expensive, or too non profitable. I have not, but, I know that I cannot make any money from farming. I think some cotton farmers may make money, particularly if they are irrigated but that is not that common. Water table is way too deep now. My guess is that one needs to farm at least 3000 acres to have a chance of making a money and if one needs to buy tractors or such. Just look at the prices and then look at what wheat and such bring to the farmer.

On the ranching side, we get subsidies at time during drouths or other such bad periods. On the other hand, look at what a rancher gets paid for a steer and compare it to what it costs coming out of the packing plant. Then compare the cost of U.S. raised beef and compare it to beef imported from Mexico or Africa. Farmers and ranchers are often turning their land into sub-divisions if some one will buy them. Deer hunting makes more money than raising cattle. I have a few head of cows on my place that belong to a friend, but, goats and hair sheep make more money for me.

The small land owner is dying out. There is no doubt that the government wants to discourage small farmers and ranchers. The big rich guys are the only ones, imo, that get any real government support. Their cows don't apparently emit as much methane as those on my place do LOL

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m not old enough to know about the past decades.
Just watching these farmers show their certified mail packets where they are being paid 1.5 times the crop value to destroy the field. Just seems odd and counter productive.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
I think if you do some research, you will find most of the claims are bogus or, are misrepresented. The government did make some payments in the earlier covid days for crops, milk, etc. that could not be transported to market. It's hard to find the truth these days because there is no profit in truth.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Friends of ours have a farm in Dilly, TX and have been paid to grow and destroy crops for decades. Not all of the crops are destroyed but each year a portion of them are. It’s an emergency food program in case of disease, drought etc that could affect the national food supply. It’s there being grown in case it’s needed but destroyed if not so that the normal market supply and pricing isn’t affected.
Sometimes it’s peanuts, or potatoes or peppers and so on. We hunt quail and dove down there and always come back with sacks full of stuff destined to be destroyed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
LOTS of Folks started growing "DOPE" when it became legal not too long ago. Come to find out a BUNCH of folks got the same idea. All of a sudden, hot houses are popping up all over in places that never saw a spade or rake. Thinking they'll get rich??? SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!
I see bill board advertising that "some folks" will buy your MJ crop for $27.00 a pound. Funny that bud use to $1500.00 an ounce.
Kinda like the grape market. Folks around here were pulling out their Pear orchards and planting grapes for Wine. Only took about 3 years to get a crop but it was mostly for a tax right off for the folks making BIG $$$.
The price per ton went way down because of over supply. When it costs you more to grow than what you get out of all your hard work, don't take long to get the message. :oops:

·
Registered
575 Posts
They have had those programs for decades now. Originally, the programs were designed to help the little farmer, then the big farmers started to take advantage of them (can't really blame them, if it's there use it). Here in Western Ohio, the little guys are being bought up left and right, Big farmers move in and level all the woods and start farming. Most of these guys won't even let you cut the wood for fire wood, (insurance purposes), just bull doze it and burn it. I support farmers, I always have, but some of the big guys make it hard to do. Big farmers drive the price of land up too. When I retired from the army in 2004 you could still find land for $3500 an acre. 5 or 6 years latter, a guy from Indiana come over and drove prices up to $19,000 an acre. It has came back to $8000 -$12,000, but who can afford that. There was 40 acres across the road from me with a pond, it went cheap.......$7950 an acre. Still well out of my price range. Some of these guys gobble up the land and then use the subsidies to get their investments back. Let's face it, it is very hard work and it is expensive, farming is not for everyone......escpecially kids these days. I remind myself all the time what the good book says......Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors property (paraphrased of course). While I still wish I had more land, let's face I'm 60 years old and it gets harder every day to keep the place up. You need the knowledge and wisdom of the older generations, but it's still a young mans game.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In Highschool I worked for a dairy farmer on his dairy. Several years later I moved back to the area and he no longer was in the dairy business. he sold off his cattle and turned his 200 acres into hay fields because the government was paying him not to produce milk. He said he was told that it helps to stabilize the price of milk. IDK

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you to all with more life experience than myself, at 39 I know significantly more than my peers (that I spoken to) not quite as much as you all. Especially in the farming end. Mostly corn, cotton and citrus in the Phoenix area where I grew up. Of course all that land is gone now with houses on it. I don’t want to live in the city anymore, unfortunately I have to drive there everyday for work.
Thanks again folks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There isn't a farm in the us paid to destroy crops regardless of what TikTok says, otherwise they wouldn't be paying 1000 bucks a ton for fertilizer and 50% more for crop protection for 2022.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
There isn't a farm in the us paid to destroy crops regardless of what TikTok says, otherwise they wouldn't be paying 1000 bucks a ton for fertilizer and 50% more for crop protection for 2022.

If the price is right, you'll do what Uncle Sam tells you.

I wouldn't have believed that until my Junior year of high school while driving tractor for my grandad. There were flags out in one field and I asked about them. The answer, "we can't drill wheat inside the flagged part until after such and such date, because the government says so". In my mind he was the "rock" that did what he was going to do no matter who said anything. That was also the day that I learned why a farmer's cap bill is the same shape as a mailbox.

I'll catch hell from farmers for this but that's ok.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If the price is right, you'll do what Uncle Sam tells you.

I wouldn't have believed that until my Junior year of high school while driving tractor for my grandad. There were flags out in one field and I asked about them. The answer, "we can't drill wheat inside the flagged part until after such and such date, because the government says so". In my mind he was the "rock" that did what he was going to do no matter who said anything. That was also the day that I learned why a farmer's cap bill is the same shape as a mailbox.

I'll catch hell from farmers for this but that's ok.
There's no such program in the 21st century, the .gov ain't sending a check for 7.50bu corn, 13.50bu beans or $1+ cotton. As much as the current administration loves the Chinese I can assure you any grain is going to end up on a barge headed for the ports for China. The USDA spends too much on food stamps to even try to pay enough to cover the fuel bill to turn it under.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't know if there is or isn't a program to plow crops under, but I do know there are programs not to plant. My neighbor was on it for 5 years. Having said that, I have seen numerous local farmers plow their wheat crops under this spring, leaving others scratching their heads. We are not talking about a full grown crop, but a very young crop.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's CRP and it's used for conservation purposes, as low as the crp payments are it has to be ground that doesn't produce well to justify crp on farmland instead of pine trees. The young crops were just cover crops, they get paid to plant them if they participate in conservation tillage programs and they would either be tilled or sprayed and strip tilled into with an actual production crop.

·
Registered
537 Posts
They are desperately trying to start a race war. They already have pestilence/disease. Probably famine is next?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts