6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would guess it is of Chinese origin, but I could be wrong. There are a lot of new scops on the market and most are Chinese which isn't to say they suck but they are no where near the quality of S&B, Leo, Zeis, Swarz, US Optics, just to name a few. After much trial and error I now believe it is true that a rifle will only shoot as good as you and your glass. Save up and get a good scope you won't regret it.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
To the contrary....Sniper Central gave the scope a very favorable review. The lenses are of Japanese manufacture.

Excerpts from Sniper Central Review of :

Falcon Optics Merlin 10x42T Tactical Rifle Scope

“The lenses are sourced from Japan and are made to a specified Falcon standard. The tube and the majority of the assembly are sourced from China and final assembly and quality control happen at Falcon Optics in the United Kingdom. It is a lot of hands to go through for the final product, but with QC checks at each step of the way, it appears that a solid final product is achieved.

Each lens is fully multi coated and optical performance appears to be good with a bright and clear picture even in dusk/dawn conditions. I compared it side by side with a number of other scopes from Leupold, S&B, SWFA SS, Burris, Mueller, Barska and it appears to be similar in quality with the leupold VX2 and Burris Fullfield line of optics. It is very difficult to compare optics in the modern era, but perhaps it is just best to say I could not find any obvious flaws in the optics that would show me inferior quality.

At the range the scope performed very well with easy focusing on the various targets at different ranges. The adjustments were also easy to use and read, and they were precise in all the shooting exercises we performed. Shooting the box showed excellent repeatable adjustments and I could not find any real fault with the scope. It is a very solid offering for a tactical scope in this price range.

The tactical scope field in the $300 range has a new impressive offering, at least in Europe for now. The most obvious natural competitor to this scope is the good SWFA Super Sniper scopes. These Merlin 10x42T scopes are comparable on all fronts in both quality and design.”

Kerry

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Japanese can make good optics I agree, the top of the line Nikons are proof of that, but they are $600.00+.
He compares it to the SWFA SS scopes, one of which I have with side focus. Although it is a good scope for the money $399.00 the clarity, and sharpness are not that of the other scopes he mentions. It becomes very obvious when you look through and operate my SS then a Leo MKVI where the extra $400.00 is spent. IMHO of course.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the input...I understand it's not a top of the line optic but for mid-range I think it will work for what I need. -Brown

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
If you get it make sure you do a write up, I am going to be playing with a new scope when I come home this next time I will make sure I write up something on that as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok..so it's between the Falcon Menace and the Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40..What are your guys thoughts between the two?

Bushnell has a good reputation...I'm hearing good things about the Falcon as well...I like the side focus on the falcon as well as the extra elev adj. it has...both are priced about the same...I NEED HELP!!! -Brown

·
Registered
0 Posts
The 10X Bushnell gets good reviews, but its hard to find any info on the variable. On paper, I too have narrowed it down to the Bushnell variable and Falcon for this price range with exposed turrets, sufficient internal adjustment, etc. The Falcon really seems like the best deal going, but they are a relatively new company and their warranty isn't great. For less money the 3-10x Mueller TacII seems excellent, but it has knobs with caps.

I've read every review I could find at the Hide, M4, longrangehunting, opticstalk, etc., etc. The Falcon seems great, but I just can't seem to convince myself to get one. I am usually willing to take a chance, but right now I don't 'need' a new scope so this is my excuse.

I have read more than a few reviews that said the optics on the Falcon are very similar to the MK4. I can't say since I've never looked through Falcon. I have looked through MK4 scopes, and while their mechanicals might be good I'm really not impressed with their optics for the money. Hence the desire for something in the Falcon price range.

I was holding out for the new Vortex tactical thinking it would be in the $500-800 range, but according to one vendor Vortex has focused on competing with NF but at $1000. Apparently they are very serious about dethroning NF for this level of quality at a much lower price, but we'll have to wait until SHOT to see if they got it right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mr.Brown said:
Anyone have any input on this scope? My project is coming together so I'm trying to narrow my optics search down. Thanks -Brown

http://www.falconoptics.com/menace4-14x44FFP.php
I am already scheming to get this model for a future 6.8 SPC bolt gun project. I want it with the mil radian reticule and turrets. No more converting clicks per MOA (not that its rocket science). A mil is a mil. Done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Falcon Menace is one of the best scopes for the price range.....mil/mil or moa/moa turrets and reticles, ffp, side focus, etc.

If you only have around $400 to spend, it has a lot of very nice features for the money.

Check www.snipershide.com for very favorable reviews on this scope.

HTH,
Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts