6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently acquired a Remington 700 6.8 w/ 22" barrel. I'm assuming it's chambered in the original SAAMI SPC w/ 1:10 twist. Can anyone tell me if I can safely shoot factory loaded Hornady 120 SST or factory loaded Hornady 110 BTHP from this chamber? I have a bunch of this ammo and would like to use it if its safe for this rifle. Been searching the threads but can't find a definitive answer. I know my SSA ammo is a no-no. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The Hornady will be fine to shoot in any chamber. And unless the SSA is labeled TAC or has an orange sticker on it, it should be fine to shoot. The only other brand to worry about would be Wilson, for a limited time they were also loading hotter rounds for the SpecII chambers, but stopped production of those a while ago.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
^^^This

All factory ammo available is to SAAMI specs unless stated or labeled otherwise.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The 700 should handle any 6.8 you can put through an AR 6.8 SPCII. The bolt rifle is capable of higher pressures.

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts
The 700 should handle any 6.8 you can put through an AR 6.8 SPCII. The bolt rifle is capable of higher pressures.
This was my thoughts as well. I would have no concerns about any factory ammo in a 700 or other bolt actions.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My 700 was already reamed to SPCII when I bought it but if it had not, I probably would have left it SAAMI.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for your collective wisdom gents! Excellent news, I feel better now. This rifle will be for my wife so I'm a little more cautious with her safety and wanted to be sure about the chamber pressures... you know how it goes.
I'm gonna shorten the stock to fit her length of pull and cut the barrel to somewhere in the 16" range to keep it light for her as well maneuverable in the jungle here. ...Unless you have any other barrel length suggestions. Thanks again for your knowledge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.