6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,854 Posts
Do you own a 5.56 upper by any chance? The smaller 5.56 bullets fragment pretty easily, and I'd go that route over 6.8 if overpenetration is a concern. In 6.8 I'd probably just stick with 90-gr Gold Dots and make damn sure I didn't miss.

If the neighbors are a couple hundred yards away, there's a good chance of any projectile terminating in the dirt before it gets to them, assuming you're standing, firing from the shoulder at a chest cavity, which makes for a slight downward angle. Obviously, this depends on the ground slope around you, so if you live on a hilltop or something it might not be applicable to your situation.

Consider prepping your likely engagement area to improve the backstop, or at least selecting the best available position to defend from. For example, a bookshelf full of books could add mass to your likely background, or provide a reasonable ballistic barrier for you it's positioned longways between you and the threat.

As far as the shotgun option, birdshot is for birds, and a terrible choice for self defense. At close range, it'll still go through your drywall and kill someone stone dead on the other side, but outside of really short ranges is likely to only produce superficial wounds that won't stop a determined attacker. Buckshot will zip right through walls and can do all sorts of unpredictable stuff if it hits nails, fasteners, conduit, etc...but being low velocity it falls out of the air pretty quickly and might not be a bad choice depending on exactly where the neighbors' houses are.
Going to have to disagree with most of what you said here but especially that last paragraph. Makes pretty much no sense to me how bird shot will travel through drywall and kill someone stone dead on the other side of the wall but outside of really close ranges will likely only produce superficial wounds that won't stop a determined attacker. How large is your home? Really close ranges is what you are likely to be shooting inside the home unless you are really well to do.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
IMHO a 12 gauge with #6 up to #4 Buck is the best choice for home defense where over penetration is a concern. Be careful not to use 3 inch Mags in the Buck loads. Depending on the barrel you get approximately 1 inch of shot dispersion for each yard of range so at 5 yards (15 feet) you will have roughly a 5 inch pattern.

While many denounce #7 1/2 bird shot, it is very destructive at close range, ie 5-6 yards. In testing I have personally blasted a hole about 4 inches in diameter through a solid core door from about 5 yards. In actuality larger shot sizes are better as they will individually penetrate better, especially as ranges increase.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Do you own a 5.56 upper by any chance? The smaller 5.56 bullets fragment pretty easily, and I'd go that route over 6.8 if overpenetration is a concern. In 6.8 I'd probably just stick with 90-gr Gold Dots and make damn sure I didn't miss.

If the neighbors are a couple hundred yards away, there's a good chance of any projectile terminating in the dirt before it gets to them, assuming you're standing, firing from the shoulder at a chest cavity, which makes for a slight downward angle. Obviously, this depends on the ground slope around you, so if you live on a hilltop or something it might not be applicable to your situation.

Consider prepping your likely engagement area to improve the backstop, or at least selecting the best available position to defend from. For example, a bookshelf full of books could add mass to your likely background, or provide a reasonable ballistic barrier for you it's positioned longways between you and the threat.

As far as the shotgun option, birdshot is for birds, and a terrible choice for self defense. At close range, it'll still go through your drywall and kill someone stone dead on the other side, but outside of really short ranges is likely to only produce superficial wounds that won't stop a determined attacker. Buckshot will zip right through walls and can do all sorts of unpredictable stuff if it hits nails, fasteners, conduit, etc...but being low velocity it falls out of the air pretty quickly and might not be a bad choice depending on exactly where the neighbors' houses are.
Yes I do have a 5.56 but the bullets I have killed deer with Such as Nosler 60 grain Partitions and 55 grain corelokts did not seem too prone to fragment on deer shot in the lungs,Now I do believe that bullets designed to fragment in 5.56 or .223 will come apart with less resistance.

Although it sounds good in theory I do not believe it is possible to make damn sure I do not miss.
What if the bad guy is standing up and I am laying down?
That would present a situation that would be turning loose a bullet on an upward trajectory.

As I would not know in advance where the bad guy would be when I shot at him I dont really think the bookshelf idea would be practical.

As far as birdshot goes it would depend on the distance as 5 to 10 foot distance would not be much spread at all.
I have watched a lot of videos on youtube and it appears that a low brass number 8 would do the Job without penetrating dry wall to any degree.
At the ranges I would have to shoot at inside of the house I dont think that Birdshot would be too prone to leave a superficial wound.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
To be honest, if you are talking inside the home style home defense I do not think there is any rifle really suited for that scenario other than maybe a .22LR. If there is one that offers frangible rounds that would be the best choice. I don't know of anything available in 6.8 that would serve well in that roll. In my opinion a shotgun is best, with number 3 or number 4 buckshot. At inside the home distances the spread is not going to be more than probably an inch to an inch and a half pattern at most. It is going to loose velocity much quicker than most any rifle round. If you were to use number 6 shot at inside the home distances it would kill someone dead as hell, with a few exceptions like heavy winter clothing etc. People seem to be under the misconception that you will have a big pattern destroying all sorts of things in the home and that is just really not the case. Just my .02$. I use a 20ga semi auto with number 3 buckshot. 45 ACP within grabbing distance as well.
This is the round that I was talking about in the 6.8 SPC
Here are some good videos concerning the subject
Interesting information
Paul Harrels Video after this one is good as well.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Those frangibles kinda have me wanting to get some, build some small wall simulators w scrap 2x4 and sheetrock, and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
11,854 Posts
Those frangibles kinda have me wanting to get some, build some small wall simulators w scrap 2x4 and sheetrock, and see what happens.
Yes, very interesting. I did not know anyone was making those.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It does have me wondering the same thing.

Yes, very interesting. I did not know anyone was making those.
Yes, I wasn't aware those were being produced either until this thread.

Here is some unofficial testing of the Barnes MPG through drywall with plywood backing to check for bullet fragmenting and it's penetration.

This person has a few other videos of MPG "tests", but I didn't personally find them relevant to this topic.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Interesting. I have a mag of the (pre-nosler) SSA MPG in the "ready" gun. Probably ok by time it goes through sheetrock and hardi-board. If I set up a test I'll put a water jug behind to see what happens after it has "left the building. "

Reactions: leatherneck

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
might want to factor in the "blowing ur ears off" aspect. short range and mild loads work well

21 - 29 of 29 Posts