6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.8 Pistol with an Arp 10.5 inch barrel I put together a
while back and quite a few of the XM68GD ammo but I am thinking that that I would like a different type of ammo for home defense ,something that would be less likely to penetrate the walls of a double wide trailer.
Does any manufacturer make a fragmenting 6.8 Factory load?
If not which factory ammo would be most likely to give the limited penetration that I am looking for ?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Thanks for the links.
The Federal says currently unavailable.
Your welcome. Way of the world nowadays on availability. Maybe a 3rd party vendor has some.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'd go with the Federal AE 90gr
The Hornady V-Max doesn't generally fragment at 6.8 SPC speeds as the projectile was originally designed for the .270 Win. At extreme close range, you might see better fragmentation and limited penetration.
If you handload, you can get some Barnes MPG as they are do not have a lead core and should come apart easier/sooner.

My primary is the XM68GD.

Be advised, pretty much any centerfire rifle cartridge will fully penetrate interior walls and more than likely exterior. And quite possibly both.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Dont know about fragmenting, but I was using the Federal AE for range / home defense till I started reloading. Verry accurate factory round. Of course for the kind of situation your talking about you might consider a pistol caliber carbine instead. Any rifle round is going to have alot of energy at that distance.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone used the Federal 75 grain Fragmenting ammo ?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Agreed, 75gr shouldn’t have any issues stabilizing in any 1:11 as these barrels stabilize much longer projectiles just fine and at a slower velocity.

I’ve never used it. If it is a true sintered metal composition, it may not provide adequate penetration for incapacitation, but that would be something you’d have to decide.

I remember seeing some testing of the MPG on YouTube a few years back with someone shooting through plywood. I was actually surprised that it held together the way it did, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'd go with the Federal AE 90gr
The Hornady V-Max doesn't generally fragment at 6.8 SPC speeds as the projectile was originally designed for the .270 Win. At extreme close range, you might see better fragmentation and limited penetration.
If you handload, you can get some Barnes MPG as they are do not have a lead core and should come apart easier/sooner.

My primary is the XM68GD.

Be advised, pretty much any centerfire rifle cartridge will fully penetrate interior walls and more than likely exterior. And quite possibly both.
I have taken several coyote , armidello and ground hog with the v max out of 12.5 and it fragments great , so much that I would not use it for deer . Now the SST may or may not fragment .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,854 Posts
Get yourself a double barrel shot gun for home defense. If you think there is a problem just go out on the balcony and blast two rounds off in the air. That's all you need.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
="Woodstock, post: 1426494, member: 18554"]
Get yourself a double barrel shot gun for home defense. If you think there is a problem just go out on the balcony and blast two rounds off in the air. That's all you need.
While I think a 12 Gauge Shotgun with Birdshot or maybe # 4 Buckshot would be a great Home defense weapon with limited Penetration in drywall if someone has broke down our door and coming into the house there will be no rounds fired up into the air.

While we live in the Country we have neighbors who live within a few hundred yards in 3 directions and I would not want a bullet which had gone through a wall to do any harm and in addition My wife sleeps in a different bedroom than I do and this is my concern as well

I do in fact intend to buy a shotgun as The only shotgun I still own is an old ratrap Cresent double barrel that I would not shoot by remote control from the next county.

While I may buy a double like the Stoeger Coach gun I probably will buy a 12 gauge Pump with an 18-20 inch barrel improved cylinder.

But until I get one I would like a Round for the 6.8 Pistol that will be as safe for Penetration as I can get and I have no experience with the Fragmenting ammo that is available.

I was hoping that someone on the forum would have some experience with the penetrative qualities of the Federal Fragmenting ammo in drywall.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At least someone got it.
Oh Yea I got it, Just didn.t want to acknowledge Joe B at all.
Heaven help us all if that senile old fart wins.

Reactions: Woodstock

·
Registered
817 Posts
Oh yeah, I got it too. That's why I gave you a like. I just wondered how many others would get it too.

Reactions: Woodstock

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you own a 5.56 upper by any chance? The smaller 5.56 bullets fragment pretty easily, and I'd go that route over 6.8 if overpenetration is a concern. In 6.8 I'd probably just stick with 90-gr Gold Dots and make damn sure I didn't miss.

If the neighbors are a couple hundred yards away, there's a good chance of any projectile terminating in the dirt before it gets to them, assuming you're standing, firing from the shoulder at a chest cavity, which makes for a slight downward angle. Obviously, this depends on the ground slope around you, so if you live on a hilltop or something it might not be applicable to your situation.

Consider prepping your likely engagement area to improve the backstop, or at least selecting the best available position to defend from. For example, a bookshelf full of books could add mass to your likely background, or provide a reasonable ballistic barrier for you it's positioned longways between you and the threat.

As far as the shotgun option, birdshot is for birds, and a terrible choice for self defense. At close range, it'll still go through your drywall and kill someone stone dead on the other side, but outside of really short ranges is likely to only produce superficial wounds that won't stop a determined attacker. Buckshot will zip right through walls and can do all sorts of unpredictable stuff if it hits nails, fasteners, conduit, etc...but being low velocity it falls out of the air pretty quickly and might not be a bad choice depending on exactly where the neighbors' houses are.

·
Super Moderator
11,854 Posts
To be honest, if you are talking inside the home style home defense I do not think there is any rifle really suited for that scenario other than maybe a .22LR. If there is one that offers frangible rounds that would be the best choice. I don't know of anything available in 6.8 that would serve well in that roll. In my opinion a shotgun is best, with number 3 or number 4 buckshot. At inside the home distances the spread is not going to be more than probably an inch to an inch and a half pattern at most. It is going to loose velocity much quicker than most any rifle round. If you were to use number 6 shot at inside the home distances it would kill someone dead as hell, with a few exceptions like heavy winter clothing etc. People seem to be under the misconception that you will have a big pattern destroying all sorts of things in the home and that is just really not the case. Just my .02$. I use a 20ga semi auto with number 3 buckshot. 45 ACP within grabbing distance as well.

Reactions: leatherneck
1 - 20 of 29 Posts