6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I'm going the Class II route I had an idea. Colt M4s cost $14,500.00!!!!! Why not order say a Spikes lower in FA configuration and register that lower Class II of course. Now you could swap that lower around from your 6.8s to you 5.56s, to .22LR uppers. It is only the lower that would be registered right? Just keep the tax stamp papers with you for the lower when you're out and about?This would be a very cheap way to get a select fire AR? :idea:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You could buy a legal registered drop in sear and accomplish what you want to do.

Kerry

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
owenslee said:
You could buy a legal registered drop in sear and accomplish what you want to do.

Kerry
How would you go about doing that and where would you get one? I know that brownells was selling the full auto parts, but only to LE/Mil Agencies, not personal users.... and I cant get my Capt. to order any!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
ron169 said:
owenslee said:

Kerry
How would you go about doing that and where would you get one? I know that brownells was selling the full auto parts, but only to LE/Mil Agencies, not personal users.... and I cant get my Capt. to order any!
You would have to locate and purchase one through a class 3 dealer assuming it is legal to do so in your state.

Kerry

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
There's a NFA section on ARFCOM. Or find your local Class III dealer and ask questions. Full auto is expensive, and the available guns are from the late 80's and back for civilians.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=6

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
RDIAS (registered drop in auto sears) start around (depending on if you have a buddy who will sell it cheep) 10-15 K last I knew, but again I am not into C3 so I cannot verify this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ron169 said:
owenslee said:

Kerry
I think you're missing the point.

All full auto firearms must be registered with the ATF and a special tax must be paid.

Federal law prohibits the registration of new full auto firearms for civilians.* No civilian legal full auto firearms have been registered since May of 1986.

As a result, there is high demand and a small supply. High demand + small supply = high prices.

It is not as simple as just ordering parts from Brownells. Getting an AR to legally run full auto is going to cost you a MINIMUM of $10k - most likely it will cost more. There are several options, including drop in auto sears, lightening links, and registered receivers.

Your police department can legally purchase full auto firearms, but it CANNOT legally purchase them for you for your own personal use.

*Technically the law prevents the ATF from collecting the tax, but that has the same effect as preventing registration.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Yeah im aware that I cant put the FA kit from brownells on my personal gun. I jsut saw where they have the kit for sale to LE agencies and military. I personally only care about the legal way and have come to the realization that I prolly wont ever own a FA gun, no biggie though, saves me on ammo, guess ill just have to keep using the FA 9mm AR that our swat team uses.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Its either buy the complete lower with rdias already installed or buy the lower then the rdias. Either way you gotta pay to play, and this game isn't badminton.

There is only one way to do it cheap, currently I'm researching it slowly, but its no different than knifemaking..... The equipment ends up costing more. Plus the NFA is apparently on a kick to make sure your a manufacturer not just out to get the toys cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts