6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the eotech I have mounted on one of my 5.56 ARs and will probably put it on my 6.8 when it's done and would like to have a magnifier as well. I know about the aimpoint and eotech versions but I think they are over priced. Does anyone have any experience with the Mako 3x or 5x? The listed price is 99.00 (3x) and 119.97 (5x) with a supposed quick detach mount included. I tried a search put no hits

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would advise you not to waste the $$$$ on a magnifier for these optics.

Since a AimPoint or EO-Tech is a point blank ZERO optic, meaning no reticle for hold overs it is pointless to add a 3x to them. The max range you can shoot is 250yds to 300yds anyhow.

the parallax is a out of the world killer issue, it's the worst you have ever seen, the mounts to make this kind of setup work aren't cheap, and you do not gain any advantage by owning this kind of setup.

Your money would be better spent in training or ammunition costs.

John

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J.Boyette said:
I would advise you not to waste the $$$$ on a magnifier for these optics.

Since a AimPoint or EO-Tech is a point blank ZERO optic, meaning no reticle for hold overs it is pointless to add a 3x to them. The max range you can shoot is 250yds to 300yds anyhow.

the parallax is a out of the world killer issue, it's the worst you have ever seen, the mounts to make this kind of setup work aren't cheap, and you do not gain any advantage by owning this kind of setup.

Your money would be better spent in training or ammunition costs.

John
What you said makes sense to me. It may be one of those things that is too simple to come up with yourself and need to hear from some one else :lol:

I really would like to get some training in marksmanship and would like to make it to the 6.8 shoot you are hosting next year.

I may use the Eotech on one 6.8 rifle and put a low power optic on the 18" so my father can use it for hunting again if I can talk him into it ( his eyesight at 74 isn't what it used to be but he is still a good shot)

Thanks John,

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sir,

This is not a "Slap down reply" Just things to think about.

If you have a person with poor eye sight, the first key is to figure out what kind of eye sight they have, near or far sighed?

If they can not see up close, but far down range, a EO-Tech or AimPoint is a BIG HELP!!!!!!

All they got to do is turn up the sight until its just right in the brightness department, and then they can place red on target to get hits.

IF they can see up close 50yds and under, the EO-Tech / AimPoint works also, just keep them in the woods for close range kills.

IF you take your 6.8 SPC run a test to see how accurate it shoots under the best situation. Then do the same in off hand.

Do this five times for each situation, take the avg group size of supported, and off hand. From there find the avg from that.

so this is how it would look.

Prone supported.

Group 1 1 MOA
Group 2 1.25 MOA
Group 3 .75 MOA
Group 4 .50 MOA
Group 5 1.25 MOA

The avg is .95 MOA

Off hand

Group 1 1.50 MOA
Group 2 1.75 MOA
Group 3 2.75 MOA
Group 4 2.50 MOA
Group 5 1.50 MOA

The avg is 2.0 MOA

Take the 2.0 and the .95 and avg it out.

So now my rifle is a 1.475 avg MOA rifle

That lets you know that with a 250yd ZERO I can engage a target no smaller than 1.5 MOA or 3.5" target.

So since a deers kill zone is a 8" round you are well with in the ability of the rifle under the worst and best situation.

Hope that helps and get your dad out there.

John

·
Registered
251 Posts
I guess it all depends on ones frame of reference and experiences. We have found the Aimpoint 3x magnifier (NOT the cheap EOTECH 3x using glass from the PRC) to be a superb addition to our weapons.

Red-dot sights (RDS) are absolutely wonderful for close fighting and shooting on the move. We love the ability to check zero by simply flipping up BIS at the start of a shift. With Aimpoint RDS's worries about battery life are a thing of the past--turn the optic on, then change the battery when you get a new patrol vehicle a few years down the road. However, for the last several years, it has been apparent that except for pure entry/CQB roles, RDS's did not allow adequate target discrimination at longer ranges: Hey, is that a cel phone or a pistol in that guy’s hand across the parking lot there…

The Aimpoint 3x magnifier helped with many of these issues, but the mounting options were never ideal and changing between 1x and 3x was too slow for dynamic encounters potentially involving use of lethal force. We experimented with ACOG’s, settling on the 3.5x TA11 as the favorite—these proved fantastic at longer distances, for example from 50-200 yards while sitting on a perimeter, however while useable with some effort at closer ranges, the ACOG’s basically were a significant compromise inside 25 yards and especially indoors doing entries. Low power variable optics offered a possible solution--the clear best choice being the 1.1-4x S&B Short Dot with the Leup 1.5-5x a good default option if funding is more limited. The low power variables were great at longer ranges, but suffered from poor battery life, eye relief issues, and decreased field-of-view.

Mark LaRue provided an outstanding solution with the LT649 Pivot mount for RDS magnifiers with 30 mm tubes, like the Aimpoint 3x. An Aimpoint RDS in a LaRue mount with an Aimpoint 3x in a LT649 to the rear is our favorite optic set-up on 10-16” carbines intended for use in the 0-300 yard range.

Flipping the magnifier up and down in the rugged LaRue pivot mount is lightning fast—just grab the magnifier with the weak hand, pull back to release the detent, and flip it where you want it. It takes far longer to read about it than actually do it. To date, the LT649’s have not proven to be snag prone or fragile and no malfunctions have been noted. Flip-up BIS like the Troy remain fully functional when the LT649 is in the down position.

Below are photos of Aimpoint 3x/LT649's mounted on a couple of 6.8 mm carbines:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I see the magnifiers as as another tool in the toolbox. They are a big help in the target identification department. They are great for Military and LE use. For general use, If you don't need magnification, a Red Dot is best, but if you need magnification, a variable scope is better. For the price of an Aimpoint w/magnifier, you can get a Leupy 1.5x5, Leupold CQT, Horus Talon, and Nightforce NXS. The advantage of a good variable scope is that you have BDC Turrets and or BDC Reticle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
DocGKR,

How is the parallax with your setup? Have you all tested this? When I did with the EO-Tech 3x and a EO Tech mount it was 14" of parallax. In a LEO / Military engagement thats the distance between a law suit and a hit.

I am not discrediting the system, I could of had a "bad step" or what ever, but on a rack grade AR-15 16" BBL 1/9 twist I have a 2-3 MOA rifle, with a optic that gives parallax of 14 MOA, I now have a 17 MOA system and thats the system I tested.

Now, the AimPoints might be a whole diffrent world, Or the EO-tech was junk, Or the system I had was junk; had to tell. But hits past 50yds with the 3x "on" did not happen, hits with the 3x past 50yds "off" did happen with the same system.

Whats the point?

John

·
Registered
158 Posts
DocGKR-
Can I put the Aimpoint 3x behind my Eotech 553 on the Larue mount and have correct sight alignment? Oh, and what brand of tan sling are on those rifles?

Many thanks for your fantastic insights here.

Black45

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Black45 said:
DocGKR-
Can I put the Aimpoint 3x behind my Eotech 553 on the Larue mount and have correct sight alignment? Oh, and what brand of tan sling are on those rifles?

Many thanks for your fantastic insights here.

Black45
The Aimpoint magnifiers have a built-in elevation and windage screws that allow you to center the reticle in the window.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
J.Boyette said:
DocGKR,

How is the parallax with your setup? Have you all tested this? When I did with the EO-Tech 3x and a EO Tech mount it was 14" of parallax. In a LEO / Military engagement thats the distance between a law suit and a hit.

I am not discrediting the system, I could of had a "bad step" or what ever, but on a rack grade AR-15 16" BBL 1/9 twist I have a 2-3 MOA rifle, with a optic that gives parallax of 14 MOA, I now have a 17 MOA system and thats the system I tested.

Now, the AimPoints might be a whole diffrent world, Or the EO-tech was junk, Or the system I had was junk; had to tell. But hits past 50yds with the 3x "on" did not happen, hits with the 3x past 50yds "off" did happen with the same system.

Whats the point?

John
John, either the EOTech magnifiers suck or there was something wrong with it. I've had two Aimpoint Magnifiers and they worked very well. Matter of fact, the Aimpoint magniiers are supposed d to have very little-to no parallax. That's why they are so expensive. The only thing I heard was that some guys had a POI shift when they flipped the magnifier on behind the red dot. I always zeroed my red dot with the magnifier and never had d any problems. I just didn't like the magnifier that much since having both on the AR made it heavy and bulky. And since I did a lot of shooting that I wanted to use magnification, so I decided to go the variable scope route.

Our SWAT Team is toying around with getting a couple of magnifiers to go with the EOTechs for some of the perimeter guys for target identification and some countersniping. That to me is the ideal use of the magnifiers in LE.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
having played with both the Eotech and Aimpoint magnifiers (3x) the Aimpoint is a much better unit

I used with an Eotech and have no issues whatsoever with changing POI

·
Registered
251 Posts
The EOTECH 3x uses junk Chinese glass; the Aimpoint 3x is high quality European glass.

We zero the Aimpoints at 100 using the 3x; there does not appear to be any shift in zero when flipping the magnifier. It is quite easy to hit 12" square steel out to 300 using the 3x...

The slings are Blue Force Gear Vickers VCAS slings--those or the VTAC slings are the best way to go.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thank you guys. I really don't want to buy another optic as I really like the Eotech so the Aimpoint may be the way to go. Paulo's comment about the weight is very relevant though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts