6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 1&t=387506

So is that price the "entry price" for someone wanting a 6.5 G? Or is AA simply advocating using a 19.5 inch barrel for entry work.... At the price of 800 plus dollars thats not an entry market upper nor is 19.5 inches of barrel "ideal" for entry work...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I will say 8 bills is cheap for a grendel. When i first started comparing the 2 I was really digging the 6.5 til i saw most uppers ran well over a grand.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That term doesn't anything about that gun.

The only thing that makes that upper nay more cost then what everyone has is the bolt and that is worth about $50 more so $500-650

As for 19.5". There is a reason the M4 is popular in building searches and actually shorter. A 19.5 doesn't capitalize on the LR capabilities nor is it conducive with quickly movement's in tight spaces. I wouldn't choose that length to slice the pie thats for sure.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's not their entry model if we are talking about price. AA has a 16" midlength upper (no frills) that runs about $650. Move into a different barrel length though and it jumps up noticeably.

Another weird thing are the varying twist rates. The $650 upper has a different twist than even their higher end 16"-ers. I don't understand why that would be.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That is more inline with a very price. I would say the dif in twist has to deal with the intended use. Is the twist faster or slower? I would assume faster as it may need it to stabilize the bullets at the lower vel with the shorter barrels. That's just a guess.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tim_W said:
That is more inline with a very price. I would say the dif in twist has to deal with the intended use. Is the twist faster or slower? I would assume faster as it may need it to stabilize the bullets at the lower vel with the shorter barrels. That's just a guess.
Confusing and propriatary continue to keep me away from Grendel. Supporters of the Grendel have been terse and annoyed at me when I ask such questions to clarify (like the OP faced in his thread). Hard for me to even justify trying their $650 upper or barrel/bolt combo for $260. There was a thread where I asked why the cheapest upper is $650 when a 6.8SPC is $440 -- especially when AA has been promising big mainstream inexpensive uppers for years. Woohoo--a made a few fans that day. Too bad, because I really legitimately wanted to know the answer.

Seems like there is a lot more info and openess regarding the 6.8spc especially on this forum -- so thanks!!
I can say that in here right? :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
The 6.8 has been open for since it was created after the initial testing. There is no one "the buck stops here" guy where if your ideas are in conflict they have zero merit. What is great about the 6.8 is its a grass roots round. Any idea can be explored and if found to have merit is used thru communication to improve the round as a hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts