6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I run a Wraith HD 4-32 and an AGM Rattler 35 for hogs. The Wraith is a little high in magnification for close in work on sounders or in woods but the Rattler is just right and still good for a little past 200yds. While you do have better positive ID with NV, if you have any vegetation etc in front of you it may white out the image (just like an IR trail camera). With thermal you can scan and instantly know if anything is there as it literally glows. I drive around the farms holding a thermal handheld out the window (wifi hooked to phone) and have a buddy watch the phone screen for any critters in the woods. Works well for not hitting deer on back roads at night too.

The clip on and off works well for feeder situations or riding around scanning fields. There is a little bit of shift when you reattach but its usually only 1/2" or so. The issue with that is if you need to act quickly it can be hard to reattach in the same exact rail slot in the dark, so having something else on the rail to bump against or mark location helps.

Getting into night hunting for the least money possible is only done with NV but at least you are in the game. Coyote hunters are the main ones that seem to stick with NV for reasons mentioned above such as better ID due to seeing the amilas markings etc. Most hog hunters are shooting at multiple sometimes up to 20-30 moving targets and finding them in woods or even grown up fields at night can be difficult with NV, yet jumps out at you with Thermal.

The Wraith HD in either 2-16 or 4-32 can be picked up online for $401.20 shipped to your door so it will be hard to beat that. If you are hunting coyotes or longer range hogs the Wraith HD 4-32 would work great if you are hunting hogs in thicker stuff or getting close then the 2-16 would be best. The Wraith 4K 3-24 can be had for $640 shipped and the Wraith 4k Mini is brand new, 2-16x and runs $800. A Wraith HD and a thermal handheld would be a good cheap combo.

Bering Optics Hogster 25 and 35 as well as the AGM Rattler 25 & 35 are all great entry level thermal scopes. The main differences are the AGM has internal video recording, an Am. Defense QD mount and a stouter battery latch and often a little less expensive. Some companies even sell a package where you buy an AGM rattler and get a free TM-160 ($400) handheld.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Where are you seeing the NV for $401?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Battlehawk armory

Adding a big Sniper hog light works wonders past 150yds. I would suggest a 66LRX as you can buy a different head if needed etc and it runs on somewhat common 18650 batteries instead of the coyote cannon which has much harder to find batteries (21700) and no interchangeability between models. I have a 38 and will order a 66LRX head if needed for longer distances.

The biggest thing to take into consideration is base magnification and how far you will be shooting. All of these have digital zoom which unlike optical zoom gets grainier each bump up in magnification. A 3x is a nice compromise for a scope if you want the 4K. If you want the cheaper version and plan to shoot mostly at longer ranges (>100yds plus) get the 4x, if you plan to shoot shorter (<50yds) with occasional long shot get the 2x.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Does the muzzle device make any difference with NV or thermal? I was thinking about running a thread protector only to keep noise down on my side.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Running a can helps. the NV definitly washes out with an A2. With a break this may be minimized a little since it diverts flash to the sides.

Never seen an issue with thermal but a short barrel with more fireball it might flash but should recover quickly enough for follow up shots. Possible the low end ATN stuff doesnt but i wouldnt recommend them anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts