6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will start by saying it's no trophy but it was so easy I couldn't pass it up. Five minutes out of the tent I found this guy eating without a care in the world. He was only about 65yds below the trail so I figured I better not pass it up.

I slipped up behind a litte snow covered tree and shooting off one knee my first shot. He was right in the bottom of a small open draw and when I shot he ran up out of it about 15 yds and just stood there. I was sure I had hit him but he didn't even have that sick about to fall over look so I gave him just a minute and shot again. This time he fell over in the snow and slid down the hill without even giving a kick.

At this point I am not so sure I didn't miss him on the first shot. Like an over excited fool I jerked the trigger bad on the first shot so I figure it was possible even at 65yds. The thing was I wasn't excited at all, I didn't even want to shoot a spike but like I said it was to easy not to.

After getting him gutted, skinned, and quartered I was able to figure out more about what had happened with my shooting. I hit him on the first shot but I hit him a little to far back and he wasn't exactly broadside so I believe the first shot clipped a lung and ended up in the guts (not easy to admit but it's true). The second shot was a heart shot and it dropped him like a stone.

Shot with 16" ARP Scout, 100gr Accubond

This is the heart and lungs. The heart is on the lower left hand side and you can see major gash in it. The lungs are pretty much had.

This is looking at the front quarter upside down. You can see the two entrance wounds. One (the heart shot) right behind the front leg and the other one is the obvious one.

Recovered 100gr Nosler Accubond, 86grs. This bullet was found under the hide on the far side. It broke a rib on the entrance side and just nicked a rib on the exit side. This was the heart shot.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Congrats! That is awesome! Too bad about the poor first shot, but hey, we all get to deal with "buck fever" every once in a while.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It freaking kills me that here in the "stan" the mil computers block 98% of the pic's posted here. If I have to be here during hunting season atleast let me look at the pictures :p

Congrats on the Elk!!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Congrats and way to stay calm and take the second chance. Nice performance from that bullet.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

·
Administrator
22,814 Posts
Congrats there Kemosabe !!! Fresh meat for the freezer !!! And, they say it shouldn't be tried... :a30: I wouldn't hesitate to go for an elk with my 6.8. :a20:

What model Buck knife is that? The finger guard's shape doesn't look like a #119's.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Nice job, I always thought the 6.8 was light for elk, but those accubonds did their job, congrats!

Also, you got pics of the camp, man that snow makes me shiver, hope it was a big ole outfitters tent with a wood stove lol.

·
Administrator
22,814 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Such an awesome story buddy. The accubond looks just like the one I used when I shot a sow two years ago. Same weight as well.

That's good stuff man. Congrats

Brandon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Awesome! Congrats.

If you can kill one with an arrow, surely the 6.8 will do it. If its close, and you can place the bullet, then the Accubond will certainly kill it....there's proof.

Hope you enjoy that wonderful meat!
Amen and amen.

Brandon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Buddy -

Congratulations on your elk - and of course having the opportunity for that second shot and finishing the job. Whereabouts was your hunt?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Elkbow,
Yes you can be run out by the stoves in the these tents. I built the one that is in my tent out of some kind of round heavy tank. It's nice because you can regulate the heat a little better than the normal thin walled tent stoves. Being run out on this trip hasn't been a problem since the temperature hasn't been above 30degs the whole time.

Bitten,
To be exact we are in Sucker Gulch to west of Indian Creek which is a few miles east of the Snake River. If you find Hells Canyon Dam you can follow Deep Creek to the east and we are just to the south of Deep Creek or Unit 22 in Idaho. If we really wanted to hunt hard I'm sure we could have killed some nice bulls. If you have ever saw pictures of my shed antlers a lot of them come from this area.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome! Congrats.

If you can kill one with an arrow, surely the 6.8 will do it. If its close, and you can place the bullet, then the Accubond will certainly kill it....there's proof.

Hope you enjoy that wonderful meat!
Thanks HTR, It's to bad we couldn't get you out here for an elk hunt. But I gotta ask, "If you did come for some elk hunting what would be you rifle of choice"?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.