6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your guys thoughts on dry film? I know I used it in the service for weapons. I bought some of the OTIS dry film to try on my guns and I can definitely feel the difference over the mil spec grease I was using.

·
Registered
363 Posts
What are your guys thoughts on dry film? I know I used it in the service for weapons. I bought some of the OTIS dry film to try on my guns and I can definitely feel the difference over the mil spec grease I was using.
I tried it when it first hit the market. It's fine for external parts but not any good for internal parts. I've been using the Radco mil spec clp and it does a good job.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried it when it first hit the market. It's fine for external parts but not any good for internal parts. I've been using the Radco mil spec clp and it does a good job.
huh i thought we used dry film all over. I seem to recall using it on the BCG in the desert. Course that was 10 years ago now so I could be mistaken.

·
Administrator
22,870 Posts
IDK... I'm a Frog Lube guy.

Reactions: toddmack

·
Registered
313 Posts
I’ve waisted a lot of money on different lubes, as maybe a lot of the older gentlemen here have.

I didn’t care for the moly or graphite dry lubes. I didn’t care for the frog lube but my understanding is I didn’t use it properly, regardless I won’t use it anymore.

I use G36 and Machine Gunners Lube from Springco. I really like the machine gunners lube w/ colloidally suspended Moly- Good Stuff IMO.

·
Super Moderator
1,883 Posts
I bought a milsurp quart can of LSA , I am set for life.
Lol. I have a sealed, large "toothpaste tube" of LSA. Saving for the zombie apocalypse i guess. Still have some petro-based Breakfree somewhere too.

Nativeman, I used a dry spray-on RemLube (I think that was the brand) in Afghanistan 2002-2003. We were central-ish (Bamian) and it was moon dust city. Muzzle cap on? Dust cover closed? Ha! Moon dust on any wet lubed surface (we did a lot of motorized patrols). We had a plentiful amount of 556 and often shot ~300rds a week just for practice. I found i could reliably get 150rds, including FA, before chance of stoppage. Most times all 300rds wo a problem. I kept the small bottle of CLP in a always accessible pocket to break out as needed. After a patrol a few blasts with canned air and I was grit free. Of course the humidity was ultra low (you could hang a wet towel on the laundry line and it'd dry in less than an hour).

Now, in coastal GA, I lube differently. Still sandy but very moist.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I’ve waisted a lot of money on different lubes, as maybe a lot of the older gentlemen here have.

I didn’t care for the moly or graphite dry lubes. I didn’t care for the frog lube but my understanding is I didn’t use it properly, regardless I won’t use it anymore.

I use G36 and Machine Gunners Lube from Springco. I really like the machine gunners lube w/ colloidally suspended Moly- Good Stuff IMO.
Right. Every time I find something I like it turns out some test proves it’s a dirt magnet that causes rust.

Lately I’ve been using something called Red Lube, very little went a long way. It had worked really well for the last couple years I’ve used it. With my move, several guns were in non-climate controlled storage. The Arizona heat turned it into something similar to varnished bubble gum! Luckily it cleans off easily.

I had been given a bottle of something invented by an Air Force Artillery guy (aka snake oil salesman) for use in the desert. Goes on wet but is a dry lube. I haven’t used it but it will be the next thing I try.

Reactions: JW82

·
Registered
313 Posts
Right. Every time I find something I like it turns out some test proves it’s a dirt magnet that causes rust.

Lately I’ve been using something called Red Lube, very little went a long way. It had worked really well for the last couple years I’ve used it. With my move, several guns were in non-climate controlled storage. The Arizona heat turned it into something similar to varnished bubble gum! Luckily it cleans off easily.

I had been given a bottle of something invented by an Air Force Artillery guy (aka snake oil salesman) for use in the desert. Goes on wet but is a dry lube. I haven’t used it but it will be the next thing I try.
Shouldn’t get nearly as hot in the Showlow area. Mine stay in the garage safe. Not exactly climate controlled but typically on varies about 30* between seasons. Been pretty wet this year (thank god cause we need it) so I threw some moisture absorbers and desiccants in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts