6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bout a month or so back,i went to roll a batch of 110 v max's and discovered at press chk that all but 2 dropped inside the case.?? I'm using a Redding f/S die with a 299 neck bushing,"the 300" neck sizer just didn't cut it.Really don't think it's the equipment.Any way I resized the whole batch with the 299 bushing with out the carbide expander and decided to keep the brass inside the house thinking maybe the extreme heat in my garage might be contributing to the problem,"august/fl.Between the heat,rain and dense humidity I hav'nt been to the range in three week's but I decided to make up a batch of the new t.n.t's I just got,,,,guess what.Almost positive the brass is from that whole batch I resized.About a third of the 20 I made were drop in's.????? probable/possible cause's.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
New SSA measures .2995 out of the bag and my Hornady dies resize to .299-.2995 for both Hornady and SSA brass so giving the tolerance for spring back I would say it has a .2975-.298" neck in the die. As far as the heat causing the issue that would be a stretch since it would have to be like 170° in your garage. Have you tried running one of those pieces of brass though the die again and measuring it? You could have mixed the bushings up inadvertently.

How many times has the brass been fired?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Are you running Remington Brass? I use a .301 bushing on Hornday, SSA, and S&B. Rem brass is 0.002 thinner in the necks.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Bout a month or so back,i went to roll a batch of 110 v max's and discovered at press chk that all but 2 dropped inside the case.?? I'm using a Redding f/S die with a 299 neck bushing,"the 300" neck sizer just didn't cut it.Really don't think it's the equipment.Any way I resized the whole batch with the 299 bushing with out the carbide expander and decided to keep the brass inside the house thinking maybe the extreme heat in my garage might be contributing to the problem,"august/fl.Between the heat,rain and dense humidity I hav'nt been to the range in three week's but I decided to make up a batch of the new t.n.t's I just got,,,,guess what.Almost positive the brass is from that whole batch I resized.About a third of the 20 I made were drop in's.????? probable/possible cause's.
You are right, provos, this is NFG. What brand of brass are you working with? My well-used Hornady brass gets sized in a Redding type S die with a .300 bushing and no expander plug. Bullets from Sierra, Nosler, Hornady and Remington are a nice tight fit, no set back. I suggest you measure and share with us the OD at the neck for fired brass, sized brass and loaded rounds to determine where the problem might be. - CW

·
Registered
126 Posts
When neck sizing, brass thickness matters. Diff manuf, diff wall thickness. Just go to a 0.001" smaller bushing, should solve it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New SSA measures .2995 out of the bag and my Hornady dies resize to .299-.2995 for both Hornady and SSA brass so giving the tolerance for spring back I would say it has a .2975-.298" neck in the die. As far as the heat causing the issue that would be a stretch since it would have to be like 170° in your garage. Have you tried running one of those pieces of brass though the die again and measuring it? You could have mixed the bushings up inadvertently.

How many times has the brass been fired?
That was my first thought,so I resized the whole tray with the #299. Most of my brass is f3,some are f5 but I separate those one's when I fire them.Majority are3 and 4 firing's.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you running Remington Brass? I use a .301 bushing on Hornday, SSA, and S&B. Rem brass is 0.002 thinner in the necks.
e,90% are rem with some old ssa. All 7 drop drop in's are remy, but the majority fired fine.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right, provos, this is NFG. What brand of brass are you working with? My well-used Hornady brass gets sized in a Redding type S die with a .300 bushing and no expander plug. Bullets from Sierra, Nosler, Hornady and Remington are a nice tight fit, no set back. I suggest you measure and share with us the OD at the neck for fired brass, sized brass and loaded rounds to determine where the problem might be. - CW
Hope i'm reading this caliper right. O.D. fired brass is 3.107,,,,sized is3.097. Don't have any loaded brass.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
e,90% are rem with some old ssa. All 7 drop drop in's are remy, but the majority fired fine.
The Rem brass has thinner necks from my experience. When I neck down to 25cal the Rem brass requires a smaller final bushing than FC or SSA brass in order to have proper neck tension.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Nailed it. You can use the same bushing die with SSA, Hornady, and S&B but not Remington brass. You need a bushing that is 0.004 smaller to size the Rem Brass to accommodate the thinner necks. I went down 0.002 and they still fell through.

I assume you are not mixing brass of different manufactures during load development.

Had to update due to typos that gave incorrect information.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
rcbs. Dial.Inch.
Ok those measurements kind of threw me off a bit. Move the decimal point to the left one and that should be it. It looks like you have the issue sorted with the Remy brass being the culprit. I only have one piece of Remington brass that I used as a dummy round for headspace between two different rifles.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok those measurements kind of threw me off a bit. Move the decimal point to the left one and that should be it. It looks like you have the issue sorted with the Remy brass being the culprit. I only have one piece of Remington brass that I used as a dummy round for headspace between two different rifles.
****.Is that the rep remy has.Cause a lot of my lrg brass is remy.Gotta say thou,quite a few of em work o.k.,,,,,****.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If you have a lot of Rwm brass just buy a smaller bushing. The Wilson brand is usually cheaper than Redding and works just as well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nailed it. You can use the same bushing die with SSA, Hornady, and S&B but not Remington brass. You need a bushing that is 0.004 smaller to size the Rem Brass to accommodate the thinner necks. I went down 0.002 and they still fell through.

I assume you are not mixing brass of different manufactures during load development.

Had to update due to typos that gave incorrect information.
That much,,huh,damm.Easy 65% of my brass is remy.Dem bushing ain't cheap,,,but.Your assumption would be incorrect. Have to be honest. Well,another valuable lesson leaned on the forum.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
****.Is that the rep remy has.Cause a lot of my lrg brass is remy.Gotta say thou,quite a few of em work o.k.,,,,,****.
I haven't heard anything bad about the brass other than having a large primer most of the comments about the brass have been positive and that it is of high quality. I just don't have any because I made it a point from the beginning to have all small primer brass for simplicity.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
provos1, your groups should be more consistent and tighten up if you use the same manufacturer's brass for that specific load development. When I am not happy with the results, I will try to develop with another manufacturer's brass. The Remington brass I have is high quality and has more uniform neck thickness than all the other 6.8mm brass I have used. The only issue is it has a thinner neck than Hornady, SSA, and S&B brass. The Rem brass averages 0.011" while the others average 0.013". I use a 0.301" bushing which is bigger than most use. I typically pick a bushing to size 0.002" less than the neck diameter with the bullet seated. I stayed with a 0.301 because, in my rifle, groups became inconsistent with a 0.300" bushing. break ... break ... The new Rem brass shot accurately but when I went to resize them, none of the bushings would size the neck small enough to hold the bullet. The cost of a bushing was worth more than the amount of Rem brass I had so its been gathering dust and I haven't been able to see how many firings it takes to loosen the primers up.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
provos1, your groups should be more consistent and tighten up if you use the same manufacturer's brass for that specific load development. When I am not happy with the results, I will try to develop with another manufacturer's brass. The Remington brass I have is high quality and has more uniform neck thickness than all the other 6.8mm brass I have used. The only issue is it has a thinner neck than Hornady, SSA, and S&B brass. The Rem brass averages 0.011" while the others average 0.013". I use a 0.301" bushing which is bigger than most use. I typically pick a bushing to size 0.002" less than the neck diameter with the bullet seated. I stayed with a 0.301 because, in my rifle, groups became inconsistent with a 0.300" bushing. break ... break ... The new Rem brass shot accurately but when I went to resize them, none of the bushings would size the neck small enough to hold the bullet. The cost of a bushing was worth more than the amount of Rem brass I had so its been gathering dust and I haven't been able to see how many firings it takes to loosen the primers up.
Thanx Xman.I didn't know that.Same manufacturer brass ,better accuracy.I thought it was just about powder,bullet's and quanity.I went from a 0.300 to a 0.299 and that worked on "most" of my remy brass.I've started checking the neck's with the bullet i'm loading before I start dropping charge's and keeping the drop in's separate.Money's tight these day's so the new bushing is gonna have to wait.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Thanx Xman.I didn't know that.Same manufacturer brass ,better accuracy.I thought it was just about powder,bullet's and quantity.
and COAL!

I went from a 0.300 to a 0.299 and that worked on "most" of my remy brass.
You are likely not getting enough neck tension and need to go 0.298" or even 0.297" (measure the diameter of one of your Rem rounds with a bullet that seats firmly in it then subtract 0.002"). Another option is to us a Lee Collet Crimp Die ($14) and apply a medium crimp. That will increase neck tension by 30% (maybe much higher because your will have such low neck tension with a 0.299" bushing) and reduce variation (std deviation) by 50% (these are measured values from my 6.8mm Hornady and SSA brass).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts