6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
never even considered building one, i took my issue 1911 completely apart once, back there under the back strap and grip safety live teeeeensy parts, like inner ear bones. i got it back together and it functioned but i learned my lesson.

if you build one please provide pix as you go along

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
As with anything building one is one thing. Building one correctly is another. I've been apprenticing under a master gunsmith that only works on 1911s and SW revos for 7 months. We see a lot of 1911s that have been "built" that need a lot of fitting still to be built right. Just FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
I spent $ to solve recurring dream. Wanted a Kimber, Wilson, etc. Bought the Rock Island Tac series with Mepro Night sites and a rail. $650.00 before taxes.

It shoots flawlessly and needs nothing. I would do without the rail as it is too long.

http://armscor.com/firearms/tac-series/
i like to build too, please keep us up to date with pix, you might inspire some folks

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
are you going to do an 80% frame? not overly complicated, but does have to be done right.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Could just buy one. Have someone tweak it when possible.

Range Officer I added Harrison carry sights to. Nothing fancy but loads of fun to shoot. Also feels great riding in my IWB when I wanna carry big :)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Picked up a RO myself a couple months ago off of the local Armslist. Been wanting 1911 in the past year. Too good of a deal, with some tasteful mods, couldn't pass it up! Tack driver as well.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts

This started life as an RO, mmm FCS!

Did a bevel package on it, and recessed the slide pin

Hand cut checkering, deluxe blend of the mag well, undercut the trigger guard

Matched rear of slide to the sights.

All internals replaced with cylinder and slide components and hand fitted for a precise 2.5# trigger.

Finished it off with a classic hot bluing job.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

This started life as an RO, mmm FCS!

Did a bevel package on it, and recessed the slide pin

Hand cut checkering, deluxe blend of the mag well, undercut the trigger guard

Matched rear of slide to the sights.

All internals replaced with cylinder and slide components and hand fitted for a precise 2.5# trigger.

Finished it off with a classic hot bluing job.

Nice! I likes my Springer too, older defender model with some upgrades (sights, trigger job, beaver tail, Ed Brown barrel etc.) not near as nice as your RO but a real shooter. Currently looking for some basic version of a mil-spec just for kicks, maybe an Auto-Ordnance, suggestions??

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I think bullitboy had one for sale over on 1911forums :a32:

Brett--- I have a 1986 colt MKIV national match gold cup 80 series with the split accurizer bushing, and adjustable ellasion rear sight ---I rarely shoot it, it's probably in 95% condition and I have 1 original 7 rnd mag with it --if it was yours would you mess with it (if so what would you do) --stash it in the safe for passing on to kids, or sell it and start over with a better base

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I think bullitboy had one for sale over on 1911forums :a32:

Brett--- I have a 1986 colt MKIV national match gold cup 80 series with the split accurizer bushing, and adjustable ellasion rear sight ---I rarely shoot it, it's probably in 95% condition and I have 1 original 7 rnd mag with it --if it was yours would you mess with it (if so what would you do) --stash it in the safe for passing on to kids, or sell it and start over with a better base
There are three things that should always be done to a 1911 if you want to improve them; first a good trigger job, Second good sights and third a reliability package. The theory behind these three things are as follows. The trigger allows the shooter to be more accurate what good is an accurate gun if you don't have very good sights so you can't get rounds on target and lastly what good is an accurate gun if it's not reliable. Those three things should always be the starting point with any improvement of a firearm especially 1911.

The problem with gold cup is the trigger channel is much wider therefore the triggers you have to choose from are limited. It can be done but there are better platforms to start with if you're going to build a custom gun so you have to decide how much you're willing to spend on the gun, what you want out of the gun and how extensive the work is that you want. For instance the gun above that I posted has a lot of work done to it, a lot of it's cosmetic.

The other issue is it's an 80 series which as extra internal parts that make up a firing pin block which can be removed and I suggest they are to do a proper trigger job. The problem with The firing pin block is it is disengaged off of the trigger so you'll always have that feel of moving the block out-of-the-way on your trigger. On a 4.5 or 5 pound trigger you won't notice it but doing something like a 2 1/2 pound trigger you absolutely will. Other versions of series 80s for instance Smith & Wesson 1911 the firing pin block works off the grip safety so these are fine to leave in

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fusion Firearms makes some really nice custom 1911's. If I recall correctly, the owner of that company is an old Dan Wesson custom builder that branched off, but I could be wrong. Prices are kind of high and the backlog is usually a few weeks out. But you could always do what I do, wrap your computer in saran wrap to catch your drool and then look at all the pretty pictures of 1911's.

·
Administrator
22,080 Posts
Love me some 1911 !! My pride and joy is a MkIV Series 70 Govt. model... massaged by an old master in Anchorage, AK. His name was Bill Thompson, retired APD. I took this gun with me to the S&W Academy in '91 for an instructor's recert. course. Burned through 1,000 rounds in the class, it never skipped a beat.. ran flawlessly, and grouped very well.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I've owned a lot of .45s over the years. WWI issue, several WWII arsenal rebuilds, a couple Series 70 Colts, and a full on custom stainless steel. Currently I have a RIA Tactical 5", and a Ruger SR1911 5". With the exception of the custom, the best one of the bunch is the Ruger. It feeds anything, is very accurate and has an excellent trigger out of the box. I have Pachmayr wrap-around rubber on it for grips. The only thing I want to change is the trigger. I absolutely hate flat faced grooved triggers. I've got an original WWI vintage long trigger with a half round face and no grooves that will go into it eventually.

But, the Ruger SR1911 rates as a Best Buy in the mid-600 range. Highly recommended. It also comes in a Lightweight Commander version if you prefer that. Either one is a great buy.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts