6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was so happy when i purchased my dpms panther 6.8 a4. there was a choice between that or the rock river (i realize i now chose wrong) i followed all of the break in instructions, including the extra lube, manual bolt action for the recommended 150-200 times before i headed to the range. the first clip i fired, jam, with the bolt locked up and a live round not completely chambered. i could not move it forward or back. came home went to 6.8 forums and figured out how to fix it. perfect. went back the next day. jam again, but this time i got in to the second clip. took it down, lubed it up, put it back together and punched a few more holes in paper before it jammed again. i contact the retailer and was told to keep it well lube and chalk it up to break in. if my life depended upon this gun for law enforcement or military i would have dumped it, but it doesn't so i just kept trying.

my wife purchased me a ACOG tr-doc 31 for Christmas, so i had to go to the range the next day to play. the first shot i fired locked up again, but this was different. the rear of the shell casing had been ripped in half. the only way to describe it would be if someone took a bite out of the back of the cartridge. the tear went down the middle and around the primer. i used a range rod to get the shell casing out. cleaned and lubed everything and went back to shooting. the third shot later the same thing happened. i left the casing in the barrel and shipped the whole thing back to dpms. that was a month ago. i have not heard anything and have called twice to only be informed that they have the registered as received, but they would have to call me back in a moment to let me know what is going on. you guessed it, no phone calls. there is one guy there that i would not trust to sell bb guns for daisy.

sorry, i know it is a long read, but i finally get to my questions. my gun is less than 6 months old,so i do not think it is a saami or spcii issue, but the ripped shell casing seems like a pressure issue. i have only ever fired hornady, remmington and SSA ammo, never any reloads. is there any hope for this panther or should i put it to sleep? has anyone else had similar problems with the dpms panther or their customer support?

· Registered
222 Posts
paulosantos said:
Sounds like a tight chamber.
A BIG +1 on that Paulo!!!

As a former DPMS 6.8 owner, I know this problem all too well....

To the OP... Not sure if yours is a CL'd, but if it isn't... Get that chamber opened up to either the SPC II or my personal favorite... the DMR. It will make a WORLD of difference!! The chamber in my DPMS barrel was SO tight, the DMR reamer cut a completely new chamber, not just the leade as it was intended to do...

· Registered
222 Posts
mkiesling said:
should i anticipate dpms reaming it out, or should i specifically ask them to do so? moose-hunter, what does CL'd mean?
I'm not too sure what you should expect from DPMS... There's been quite a bit of conversation directly with the powers at DPMS in regards to the tight chamber issue. I'm not sure what, if any, the outcome was...

I avoided the DPMS warranty all together and had the chamber in my DPMS barrel done by one of our own, Constructor, here on the forum. See ARPerformance in the vendor section... I've also read of a SPC II reamer that's available... Again... I've not paid too close attention there either since I had two custom 6.8 uppers built. Also done by ARPerformance...

The best advice I can give you is to search the forums here and see what you can see... Especially the troubleshooting section, as that's where I think I posted of my own trials and tribulations...

· Registered
5,565 Posts
Good luck with the rifle now that DPMS has it. They've been told before that their chambers are too tight. If you get the chamber corrected, I bet it will end up being a great rifle.

If you get it back unresolved, Paulosantos can go over how to have the chamber reamed to SPC II. He's one of our go to guys in this regard.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you both for the insight. i spoke with shane at dpms and he assured me that they are working on my gun this week and i should have it back next week. he said they would possibly polish the chamber or put a new barrel on it depending on what the techs say. i will keep you informed.

mike

· Registered
222 Posts
mkiesling said:
thank you both for the insight. i spoke with shane at dpms and he assured me that they are working on my gun this week and i should have it back next week. he said they would possibly polish the chamber or put a new barrel on it depending on what the techs say. i will keep you informed.

mike
Got my fingers crossed for ya, Mike!! I hope what ever DPMS does for you gets your gun back on track!! Keeps us all posted!!

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Sorry about your issues. As you have found out DPMS makes all their chambers for ALL calibers "tight" This is there way of trying to get accuracy with a lower quality product. Funny thing is if they did it right they are actually quite accurate barrels.

I don't like kicking you while you are down but you need to know some things about the DPMS gun you have there:

*they are going to polish the chamber of your out of spec barrel chamber which is sometimes just barely enough to get it working OK but it is still a SAAMI chamber which is an abortion for a 6.8 chamber.

* I strongly suggest you send the upper to Constructor on here and owner of ARperformance to have the chamber reamed to the DMR chamber as it is not a CL bore. Moose Hunter did the same and got a sub MOA shooter and would handle top end loads.

* DPMS does not use the milspec steel for their bolts. They are suppose to be using carpenter 158 alloy steel and then hardening and shot peening it. Instead they are using the much softer 8620 steel which is the same stuff your carrier is made out of. This will typically cause the bolt lugs to compress permanently changing the head space and also fail much sooner.

* Because of the last point I suggest you get at min the STAG and keep it as a backup.

* On your carrier check the key screws they should be staked with metal from the side pushed in so that it is jamming into the screws preventing them from moving. If not you need to do or have done.

* IIRC the DPMS is a carbine gas port location which is less then ideal for a 16" barrel. A Mid is significantly better. Because of this you will likely need a stronger buffer spring and heavier buffer. Likely the SSS Spring and H2 buffer once the gun is broken in will be best. You can confirm this by the ejection angle. If forward of 3:00 you need a heavier buffer. The spring is a good upgrade regardless.

All in all most everyone has to do the spring and buffer change so that is not a big one. The chamber reaming to a DMR or SPCII is a given for all that get a SAAMI chamber and want full performance. The inferior bolt and out of spec chamber which are both knowingly done are the added cost above others. But everyone should have a backup bolt anyways so thats a need regardless jsut make sure to make it not a DPMS.

The good news is with a bit of work you can have a good reliable gun and it can be done in steps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.