6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from 1911.org which is not quite a ghost town, I can't think of a better place than here to get good information. Today I went to the range and put 100 rounds through my SR1911. I don't do it nearly enough. Anyway, I have only shot Winchester Service Grade in it. Today, I bought a box of Speer Lawman from the range because as far as I am concerned, the gun store and range I patronize is on the right side of right and wrong. So I bought a box I didn't need someplace other than the internet.

To the point. I have read here from comments about "dirty ammo" or powders you don't like. I don't reload.But I can relate having be trained on and issued our beloved M16A2. I know what "dirty" is in terms of firearm. That was a long time ago, but it isn't like you forget. Today I bought the Speer Lawman, and the stainless never looked so dirty. The only change being their ammo. It is funny how reviews go. I read a few that said WSG is dirty. Not in my experience. But here is the thing. A 1911 style pistol isn't our gas impingement AR15 based rifle. 100 rounds isn't exactly a lot, so it just took me by surprise to the weapon dirty. How long will it shoot when dirty? What is dirty on a 1911 pistol? Does anyone have a different opinion of that FMJ ammo?

I thank you for your time and people that have far more experience than me with this subject.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
I doubt it would stop if from functioning properly until close to 1000 rounds but that is just my opinion, and most of my 1911 experience is with govt issued stuff with a lot of play.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I do reload. Some pistol powders are really "dirty". Shoot 100 rounds and the once pretty gun looks like it got dropped into a coal bin. Flitz will help restore the right shine. 1911's will take a lot before it "grunges up"...but like anything else, it can get "dirty". Modern AR powders do not have the horrible reputation like the ill advised "cheaper powders" that got Our American Patriots killed in Vietnam.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
John Browning put 6000 rounds through his 1911 during the army trials without any stoppage. With a cleaning every 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am a 1911 fan. I own more than a couple Colts from their custom shop, a Dan Wesson, and a Remington. I love the triggers, love the accuracy, and love the aesthetics.

Most modern 1911 style pistols have tighter tolerances than the old military ones. As such, they will gum up and malfunction faster with more dirty ammo. You shouldn't have a problem with one range session...unless you failed to properly clean your pistol from the previous outing.

The aren't polymer wonders, the 1911s need maintenance. A good, clean-burning powder will cut down on scrubbing time.

Stay away from Unique...unless you fancy yourself a 'black powder 1911 shooter. Bullseye and most Winchester powders are pretty filthy too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts