6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
277 is hands down the funnest caliber I shoot. Wish I could explain why. Accuracy is absolutely amazing. Forming brass is a breeze. In a 12.5" barrel I get 2600 fps with the 90 gr gold dots. I'm not disappointed with that at all. In my wife's 16" wolverine the first three shots were literally in the same barely out of round hole at 100 yards. I'd love to see how it does now that it's broke in but I'm not allowed to touch that gun anymore. She loves it. For kids there is no comparison. My kids love the wolverines. Easily their favorite caliber as well. Zero recoil. Great accuracy. Yes a 6.8 is faster. I love my 6.8s as well. But there is just something about the wolverine.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I would choose it over the .300BLK any day.
Agree with CHALK22, I 'd take the Wolverine over a 300 BO except for subsonic work and even that is changing as the Wolverine is developing dedicated subsonic bullets. I picked up a 300 BO to test .308 bullets for minimum opening velocity. I'm having a hard time getting the bullets to obtain enough kinetic energy to function even with max powder loads. If you are going to stay supersonic, the .223/5.56 is a better choice and the Wolverine and 6.8mm even better. Also beware, 300 BO ammo fits in a .223 chamber and this mistake is happening more and more often with catastrophic effects. Not sure if a Wolverine will fit in a .223 chamber. I built my 300 BO to be completely different from all my other ARs to help avoid this mistake, e.g., different grips, handguards, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Woverine intrigued me but no dies were available when I was ready to build so I went with the 25-45 from SRC. Still have plans to build a Wolverine but have been very happy with the 25-45. Basically same deal as the Wolverine except .25 caliber.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
If I were to move to the .277 Wolverine, I would move everything there and away from 6.8spc.
I think the Wolverine is the best balanced round out there for the AR. It outperforms the 5.56 and .300 BO, and easily covers the average range most hunters use for deer and hogs. It is exceptionally accurate, and cheaper to shoot. I like it so much that I got rid of my 5.56 and all the ammo for it. I also have a 6.8, and its a great rifle as well. The Wolverine is more fun though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought about it and reached the conclusion if you already have 6.8 there is no point in the Wolverine.

I will concede performance is basically a wash, though on paper 6.8 wins.

277 Brass must either be reformed, or purchased from a sole source (Starline).

To me, once you have gone to 6.8 there's nothing to gain with Wolverine.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I thought about it and reached the conclusion if you already have 6.8 there is no point in the Wolverine.

You are misinformed, sir. Wolverine ammo is loaded by at least two commercial outlets, possibly three, in both supersonic and subsonic versions. Starline is not one of them. As far as reforming brass goes, it only takes a single pass through the sizer, and trimming of the excess neck. As wildcats go, it is dirt simple to do. But, if you don't feel like forming your own (its actually fun, btw), you can buy ready to load, formed brass from JBFA. I've done both, and Bruce's brass is top notch. 6.8 brass, by contrast, is hard to find, and costs three times as much on average.

While the 6.8 wins by virtue of the fact that it has a larger powder space. However, that only has relevance once you get past about 350 yds in practical terms. In its favor, the Wolverine is much cheaper to get into than the 6.8. All that's required is a barrel, and dies if you reload. 6.8 requires a barrel, a bolt, magazines, and dies. If you regularly hunt at ranges beyond 300 yds, then the 6.8 will do a better job, but you are in a small minority in that respect. The average range for whitetail in the US is just under 100 yds, so the Wolverine is more than adequate for that.

If you don't think the Wolverine is worth it, that's your choice, but at least base it on the facts, and listen to those of us who have extensive experience with both calibers. I own both, have built my own rifles for both, but the Wolverine is my favorite by far.

Note: I should also note that the Wolverine has grown to over 1000 barrels in the wild in less than two years, and is on the road to SAAMI certification. The 6.8 has not grown nearly as fast, and some are saying it has gone flat on sales. I personally don't believe that, but there is no denying that the Wolverine is growing fast and is getting exceptional word of mouth advertising unlike most other wildcats.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
About what Rifter Said.

The 6.8 SPC does have the advantage of great ammo availability commercially, hits harder and shoots a bit farther, but if ammo cost is a biggy you can reload the Wolvie cheaper.

If you could get one, and want one get it. No need to go all over for one cartridge, I got 5.56 ARs intentionally after getting the two 6.8 rifles. In Avatar. One DI and one piston system, just like my 6.8s.

That's just one example of doing what is right got you, my idea of having 2 rifles in each caliber fits my needs.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You are misinformed, sir. Wolverine ammo is loaded by at least two commercial outlets, possibly three, in both supersonic and subsonic versions. Starline is not one of them. As far as reforming brass goes, it only takes a single pass through the sizer, and trimming of the excess neck. As wildcats go, it is dirt simple to do. But, if you don't feel like forming your own (its actually fun, btw), you can buy ready to load, formed brass from JBFA. I've done both, and Bruce's brass is top notch. 6.8 brass, by contrast, is hard to find, and costs three times as much on average.

While the 6.8 wins by virtue of the fact that it has a larger powder space. However, that only has relevance once you get past about 350 yds in practical terms. In its favor, the Wolverine is much cheaper to get into than the 6.8. All that's required is a barrel, and dies if you reload. 6.8 requires a barrel, a bolt, magazines, and dies. If you regularly hunt at ranges beyond 300 yds, then the 6.8 will do a better job, but you are in a small minority in that respect. The average range for whitetail in the US is just under 100 yds, so the Wolverine is more than adequate for that.

If you don't think the Wolverine is worth it, that's your choice, but at least base it on the facts, and listen to those of us who have extensive experience with both calibers. I own both, have built my own rifles for both, but the Wolverine is my favorite by far.
Note: I should also note that the Wolverine has grown to over 1000 barrels in the wild in less than two years, and is on the road to SAAMI certification. The 6.8 has not grown nearly as fast, and some are saying it has gone flat on sales. I personally don't believe that, but there is no denying that the Wolverine is growing fast and is getting exceptional word of mouth advertising unlike most other wildcats.
Rifter is correct the Wolverine has all the performance I need for hunting, ammo is cheap to reload and fun to shoot. I have 2 6.8's a 556 and 2 Wolv's 16" and a 10" The Wolv is fast becoming one of my favorites. So much so that I am thinking of selling my 20" 6.8 and the 556. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still have yet to upgrade my M1S barrel to SpecII.

Might as well just go to .277 Wolverine, use my original bolt, and build another on one of my un-built lowers and have the performance I need.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I am glad Rifter and the like jumped it. Last night when I replied it was late, and a link to the forum was all I could come up with. And now for an overexposed pic of my .277WLV!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I will gladly take you guys converting left over 6.8 brass.
Just PM me and I'll send you where to ship it.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts

+1 X 10. My Wolverine is my favorite mid range deer/pig gun. Lightweight, handles better than my primary 6.8, brass is cheap and easy to make, powder loads producing excellent accuracy and velocity abound and it's definitely the best stand hunting gun I own where my ranges generally are limited to 200 yards. I would not feel at all guilty about taking a 300 yard shot with it on medium sized deer and 110gr bullets. For open country 200#+ Mule Deer at a range out as far as 300+ yards with heavier bullets, I grab my 6.8 out of the safe. With 90gr TNT's it also makes a dandy varmint, predator gun to 350-400 yards.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts

I hate to say it, but there's not a single statement here that has much merit except point one. Well, maybe the "on paper" thing since the 6.8 does have a greater potential for more velocity, thus better bullet expansion, at longer ranges. But, still, anything can be almost fully compensated for with bullet selection.....to a point.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I hate to say it, but there's not a single statement here that has much merit except point one. Well, maybe the "on paper" thing since the 6.8 does have a greater potential for more velocity, thus better bullet expansion, at longer ranges. But, still, anything can be almost fully compensated for with bullet selection.....to a point.
How can you make that statement? I was actually shocked that came from you.

Anything the Wolverine can do the 6.8 does better.
Except may subs and I'm not convinced of that yet.

The 6.8 has better expansion at shorter ranges, due to more velocity.
It pushes the same bullets faster.
The Wlv is a non contender with 110 grains and up.
Handload to handload the Wlv is 80% of the 6.8 with 100 grain and under projos.

Its great for you guys that like it.
But lets be realistic.
Unless your ok with less performance than a 6.8 you have, I see no point to it either.
Not for my wants nor needs anyhow.

I also will never give up my 5.56.
With 70gr TSX at 2930 fps from a 16in and 62gr Fusions at 2950 fps from the same barrel I feel its actually very capable to 200 yards.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Also, what is the whole real story of the development of the Wolverine?
How did Mark come up with the idea?
How did he design all the specifications?
I mean the back story, its got to be of interest to some of you fans of the caliber.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
However, that only has relevance once you get past about 350 yds in practical terms.
You seriously cannot stand behind that.
Your telling us that the 120 SST has no merit over the 100 grain and under projectiles of the Wolverine?
At even 300, or 200, or 100 yards? On medium to large bodied deer.

Seriously Rifter?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts