6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have a first generation automatic powder measuring system that is more than 15 years old and very much in need of replacement with some new technology.

What has your experience been with RCBS, Hornady L&L, and Lyman units. (I do have a Lyman digital scale that has been a wonderful tool for more than 20 years.)

Really looking for the ability to do charge weights from 8 to 110 grains.

Thank you!

Mike

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I own the Lyman 1200 DPS 3 and have no experience with the Hornady or the RCBS, the one i have has the lowest reviews at Midway at 3.2 and the Hornady coming in at 3.7 and RCBS coming in at 4.3, I've never had any problems with mine but if i bought another it would be the RCBS, it weighs charges from 2 to 300 Gr

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
My lnl works great now that i did the Mc Donalds straw addition...it thows right on every time....before the straw it would overcharge about 50% of the time...

I had an old Lyman and it was slooow ..tried to pay Lyman for the speed upgrade and they told me to just buy the new model, they don't support the old model any more--- that turned me away from buying another Lyman

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have the Hornady and it's kind of finicky. If I had it to do over again I would probably go with the RCBS.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
My RCBS has been flawless. I highly recommend it. I did the drink straw mod to it but don't know that it needed it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have a Hornady it works well if you let it warm up, but some powders it over charges alot.

What is this straw mod yall speakof?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Pact dispenser and scale combo...supposedly the same as RCBS. I use it mostly for the large stick powders in .308 and it is usually within one tenth. It hits the exact mark less than half the time for me. I read somewhere that they like 'clean' power like what comes out of an APS or similar power supply but havent tried that. It is also slow....takes about a minute to dispense, refine if necessary, dump into the case, replace the pan, hit the dispense button and then wait for the scale to stabilize at zero before it starts up again. I load about 500 rounds per year of my 600 yard ammo with IMR4064 and it is not my favorite thing to do.

I believe the straw mod is to use a short piece of a Mcdonalds drinking straw in the slow trickle auger. Supposedly it smooths things out. I should give it a try but the nearest Mickey Ds is almost an hour from me and I dont eat there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the RCBS charge master and it works great. It's much faster than me when I'm seating a bullet after filling a case. Every now and then it'll throw a 0.1 or so high charge and I have to redo it. Probably should do the straw deal that everyone else does.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I've got the RCBS Chargemaster also. Had it for 6-7 years, loaded thousands of rounds. If it ever quits, I'll buy another. Best reloading tool I've ever bought.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I believe the straw mod is to use a short piece of a Mcdonalds drinking straw in the slow trickle auger. Supposedly it smooths things out. I should give it a try but the nearest Mickey Ds is almost an hour from me and I dont eat there.
It does not need to be a straw from McDonald's. It is just a soda straw.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sure do appreciate all of the answers! Very good information. Love the straw modification ;-)

How well does the Chargemaster handle ball powders such as AA2200, AA2520, and BL(C)2? Anyone try it with flake powders such as 2400?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Sure do appreciate all of the answers! Very good information. Love the straw modification ;-)

How well does the Chargemaster handle ball powders such as AA2200, AA2520, and BL(C)2? Anyone try it with flake powders such as 2400?
Mostly loading ball powders with mine. 2460, #9, and 2200. Works like designed.

Loaded a little WSF too. No problems.

Have loaded kernels like 4350 without an issue.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Here is an elegant answer to the straw trick. Not only for the big dispensers but for the powder trickler also.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...um-reducing-inserts-for-chargemaster.3846088/

http://www.scout.com/military/snipe...-chargemaster-reducing-insert/169050452?s=541

I had a PACT for years and that was very god. Accuracy was on the money. I sent mine in for the high speed upgrade and while it was gone the wife bought me the Chargemaster for Xmas. I have found itto be excellent also.

I did run a parallel test of PACT vs. RCBS. Unalterd the RCBS was a tad SLOWER on average with the charge selected or 43 grains of 4320. I took a few pictures of teh PACT and then passed it on to a member here at a nice savings for a completely new dispenser and scale. One thing I have learned though is to just leave the RCBS turned on to eliminate warm up.

Greg

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ordered a Chargemaster 1500 combo ... and it arrived today.

Initialized it. Loaded it with AA2200 and charged 100 cases. First charge was not good ... exactly as I expected. Others were dead on ;-) Expect it will work just like that with AA2520. Likely to require the mod for stick powders but we'll get to that in good time!

Only interesting challenge I see is how to clean it well when changing powders. Any thoughts? Have compressed air but line has an oiler in it :-(

Thanks for the comments folks!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
RCBS Chargemaster Combo 1500 with straw mod and minor reprogramming on dispense speeds....used with AA2200, H322 and AR-Comp with good results. Loads verified with a GemPro 250 and most loads are within 0.02 gr of desired weight.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts