6.8 SPC Forums banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
What do you mean you have no way of measuring shoulder bump ? Did you skip over #65? Or did you loose your micometer or were you unable to find an empty 9mm case ? Either way it seems you have it figured out as far as the sticking goes . Just polish it good or don't put one in the chamber until you are ready to shoot it . After it is shot measure from base to shoulder as outlined and start bumping it back until it's . 004 less than fired .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
Was this the measurement you were referring to? This is pre and post sizing the NEW brass from Hornady to get it to work in my barrel.

I haven't cleaned any brass yet but i'll take a fired measurement to post sizing when I do.

Wood Bicycle part Gas Hardwood Bicycle tire

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Hardwood

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If you measure fired brass that way and then just resize it until the measurement is . 004 less than the fired brass it would be good to go If there were no problems . Problem is if you have a ring or tight spot in your chamber that requires you to really ram the case in the die you will have several thousands more than desired . That could cause accuracy problems and excessive case wear . I believe you said the accuracy was good though . I'm not an expert by any means but H ( ARP ) posted several posts back that his original chamber was tight and made more velocity possible . Maybe if you keep polishing the chamber until Hornady brass is barely fitting you will be better off than if they replaced the barrel . Also worth mentioning you can buy special shell holders that allows a little more of the case to go in the die before it cams over . Of course a piece of 320 grit paper and a window pane can give you a little shorter shell holder also .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Suggest removing the primer on a fired case before taking the measurement. A proud primer or a slight crater can cause inconsistent measurements.

Reactions: greentick
81 - 83 of 83 Posts