6.8 SPC Forums banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator
22,641 Posts
Returning the barrel seems to be the consensus. When I sent pictures of the chamber to WC I told them i'd like a replacement when they become available. We'll see what they say, in the meantime I kind of need it until I can get something else. I'll end up with an ARP down the road.
A word to the wise, get an ARP while the getting's good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Are you in Mo.

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
No, I'm not.

With the 12.5 ARP i'd be at 25.5" from the buffer to the muzzle. I'm running a pistol buffer on a Maxim PDW brace. Honestly I like the 10.5 Bison but the mid-length gas of the ARP is appealing. Unfortunately neither we're in stock when I ordered the Wilson.

Wilson now has stock on more 11.3's so i'm going to ask them for a swap out and i'll get the ARP when I have more funds over the summer. This wilson will have to get me through the night hunting season (1st week of march).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Update:

The people over at Wilson are great. I sent them pictures of the barrel on Monday and they emailed me back this morning saying that the barrel and rife shop both agreed that the barrel should come back. Typically they would want you to return the barrel first for inspection and then send out a new barrel, but when I shared my concerns of the barrels being out of stock at that point they agreed to ship me one out same day and allow me to return mine when the new one came in. Can't argue with that customer service.

Hornady told me they haven't heard of any issues with that lot of ammo, which typically they would have based on when it was produced. Regardless they sent me a return label, which I am going to hold onto until I can test a few rounds in the new barrel.

I had debated buying an ARP last night but i'm happy with the resolution with Wilson and i'll run their barrel for the rest of the year. I'll let you guys know how the new one works out.

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
Good deal. Glad they took care of you

Reactions: Larueminati

·
Administrator
22,641 Posts
Congrats on finding help from them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a couple more pictures for reference, i'm going to send these over to wilson on Monday.

I used the stem of a soft plastic Q tip to rub the inside of the chamber and the "scratches" don't grab on the Q tip but they may be just enough to be causing this issue. I wish I had the die's for 6.8 on hand so then I can make sure this hornady ammo just wasn't incorrectly sized. Regardless, the brass looks terrible...
View attachment 75052
View attachment 75053
View attachment 75054
Definitely concur on others recommendation. Scope the chamber and send Wilson a snapshot. Either return or have your smith polish the chamber. Wilson has great barrels. I’m surprised to see this.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just dropped in late to this conversation--my take is you have debris stuck to the chamber wall, not all that uncommon, and that is causing an abnormal chambering of your cartridges and is ramping up your pressures as evidenced by the apparent stretch in the head area of the cases. Pretty high, I would guess, since 6.8 spc is one of the toughest AR cases in my experience. Could be a headspace issue too--might be why WC wants the barrel back.
The Hornady is definitely compressed because you can't hear any of the powder inside it.
You're hearing voices?:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just dropped in late to this conversation--my take is you have debris stuck to the chamber wall, not all that uncommon, and that is causing an abnormal chambering of your cartridges and is ramping up your pressures as evidenced by the apparent stretch in the head area of the cases. Pretty high, I would guess, since 6.8 spc is one of the toughest AR cases in my experience. Could be a headspace issue too--might be why WC wants the barrel back.
You're hearing voices?:)
Regarding barrel length, I have a 10.5 " and a 12.5" and both and (3) 16" in 5.56. With my 70 grn Barnes TSX load the 12.5" is 350fps faster than the 10.5" and only 155 fps lower than my 16s. (Velocities respectively: 2250fps, 2605fps, 2760fps. My 12.5" ARP 6.8 SPC is only 86fps less than my 16" bushmaster barrel. (2703fps vs 2789fps).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Another update guys and i'm pretty bummed out at this point.

I just got the replacement barrel from Wilson, I was all ready for it and took off the old barrel before it got here. MISTAKE!

The new barrel is MUCH worse looking that the old one and when you rub the stem of a Q tip in the chamber it catches on all of these rings.

Also, The hornady brass gets stuck in this barrel aswell, the PPU drops in and out freely. WTF is going on, do I just have terrible luck or are these the chambers they are turning out? Or am I over analyzing this?

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas

Wood Automotive lighting Gas Door Communication Device

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

I just got the replacement barrel from Wilson, I was all ready for it and took off the old barrel before it got here. MISTAKE!

The new barrel is MUCH worse looking that the old one and when you rub the stem of a Q tip in the chamber it catches on all of these rings.

Also, The hornady brass gets stuck in this barrel aswell, the PPU drops in and out freely. WTF is going on, do I just have terrible luck or are these the chambers they are turning out? Or am I over analyzing this?

View attachment 75165
View attachment 75166
that chamber is rough!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have several Ar pistols and they work fine --BUT timing the gas system is more challenging than on a standard carbine or longer barrel, dwell timing, when the case relaxes relative to the extraction etc. can be a headache if something is out of whack. Your cases look like they may have pressure signs IMO. Call Hornady and see what they say--they are straight-shooting professionals and aren't going to try to snow you with BS. And call Wilson while you're at it and see what their explanation is. You could also make a more persuasive argument by casting the chamber and checking saami specs to see if both the chamber and ammo are within specs. Casting is a lot easier with the barrel off. Or you could just call the whole show off and ask for money back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I have several Ar pistols and they work fine --BUT timing the gas system is more challenging than on a standard carbine or longer barrel, dwell timing, when the case relaxes relative to the extraction etc. can be a headache if something is out of whack. Your cases look like they may have pressure signs IMO. Call Hornady and see what they say--they are straight-shooting professionals and aren't going to try to snow you with BS. And call Wilson while you're at it and see what their explanation is. You could also make a more persuasive argument by casting the chamber and checking saami specs to see if both the chamber and ammo are within specs. Casting is a lot easier with the barrel off. Or you could just call the whole show off and ask for money back.
I did talk with Hornady, all they had to say was that they hadn't had any reported issues with this lot of ammo and if I wanted to send them back they would look into it.

I also did talk with Wilson whom sent me the replacement barrel above. I'm not even going to entertain the replacement barrel thats going back.

I'm in a bit of a pickle so I may keep the first Wilson barrel if they offer to give me 50% off for the trash chamber, granted it functions properly which i'm going to do some more testing tomorrow. I'm looking at an Aero .223 barrel that was less than half the price of this Wilson and the chamber has ZERO marks in it, i'm not sure what Wilsons deal is...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I did talk with Hornady, all they had to say was that they hadn't had any reported issues with this lot of ammo and if I wanted to send them back they would look into it.

I also did talk with Wilson whom sent me the replacement barrel above. I'm not even going to entertain the replacement barrel thats going back.

I'm in a bit of a pickle so I may keep the first Wilson barrel if they offer to give me 50% off for the trash chamber, granted it functions properly which i'm going to do some more testing tomorrow. I'm looking at an Aero .223 barrel that was less than half the price of this Wilson and the chamber has ZERO marks in it, i'm not sure what Wilsons deal is...
I'm pretty sure you were advised by many on here to polish the heck out of the original barrel or put it on the market or get refund and buy an ARP barrel . It only takes a few minutes to reinstall the barrel so I say polish the heck out of the old barrel and send the junk barrel back and as soon as season is over demand a refund and move on . Lesson learned . Customer service is not as important as quality control , when you continuously hear a company has good customer service chances are quality control is poor .

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts

Hornady has been covering their ass for years, there have been plenty of complaints. I know a bunch of the guys at Hornady and told them about it years ago, they said most people wont notice. They'll chamber a round and fire , only some will chamber and remove without firing and only a small percentage will have issues so they doubted they would change the charge in order to keep the velocity up.
I knew the 120sst would be popular so after 6-8 months of BS I changed my reamer design at the base so the chambers would accept the larger Hornady ammo, it only took .002" and was still within maximum spec.
You can take that barrel to a machine shop, have them chuck it in a lathe, spin it around 2000rpm. Wrap a piece of 220 grit to start around a 1/4" wood dowel and work it back and forth in the chamber. Test the size with that Hornady ammo. Swap to a 320 grit to finish it off. That is how we finished chambers in the old days before carbide reamers.

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts

View attachment 75165
View attachment 75166
I thought Wilson hand polished all of their barrels?

·
Registered
247 Posts

A certain amount of rough chambering is not that unusual--it provides a "weld" to an expanded case to hold it in place under pressure.
Hornady has been covering their ass for years, there have been plenty of complaints. I know a bunch of the guys at Hornady and told them about it years ago, they said most people wont notice. They'll chamber a round and fire , only some will chamber and remove without firing and only a small percentage will have issues so they doubted they would change the charge in order to keep the velocity up.
I knew the 120sst would be popular so after 6-8 months of BS I changed my reamer design at the base so the chambers would accept the larger Hornady ammo, it only took .002" and was still within maximum spec.
You can take that barrel to a machine shop, have them chuck it in a lathe, spin it around 2000rpm. Wrap a piece of 220 grit to start around a 1/4" wood dowel and work it back and forth in the chamber. Test the size with that Hornady ammo. Swap to a 320 grit to finish it off. That is how we finished chambers in the old days before carbide reamers.
So what are you saying is the issue--that their case diameter exceeds the the chamber spec--or that it's too big to accommodate the variations in chamber cuts?

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
"So what are you saying is the issue--that their case diameter exceeds the the chamber spec--or that it's too big to accommodate the variations in chamber cuts? "

Yes I've been saying it for 10 years. There is a bulge in the case apx 1/2" from the bottom due to a compressed load. Lay the hornady ammo on a piece of glass or machined straight edge and hold it up to the light, you can see the bulge.
If you chamber a round and remove it, repeat several times the bulge will rub on the chamber wall and scuff the case so it can be seen easily.
The problem is either compounded by a small or worn reamer or eliminated with a large spec reamer. ER Shaw makes Wilson and Bison barrels using PTG reamers. If they are community use reamers owned by Shaw they will use the same reamers for all OEM contracts and the reamers will dull and wear faster. The reamer that cut that chamber should have been replaced long before those chambers were cut. I know the guy that runs the plant and he's a good guy but they produce over 500 barrels a day and he can't inspect every one especially since all stainless barrels are made in one plant and all CM barrels made on the other block. Sometimes things fall through the cracks. If that reamer had been sharp maybe there wouldn't be a problem.
The OP says other ammo falls in and out, only the Hornady ammo gets stuck, there's your sign.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
"...ER Shaw makes Wilson and Bison barrels using PTG reamers. If they are community use reamers owned by Shaw they will use the same reamers for all OEM contracts and the reamers will dull and wear faster. The reamer that cut that chamber should have been replaced long before those chambers were cut...
Glad my Bison was cut with a sharp reamer then. I have not had any issues with any ammo I have used. Granted I have not tried the 120 SST. I mostly use the 110 V Max if I use hornady factory ammo.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Glad my Bison was cut with a sharp reamer then. I have not had any issues with any ammo I have used. Granted I have not tried the 120 SST. I mostly use the 110 V Max if I use hornady factory ammo.
If you read the op he is talking about 110 v Max . Constructor noticed the problem with SST and inserted his experience with that Hornady bullet . It is more than likely that the afore mentioned bulge is present on cases loaded with both bullets and also may possibly not be present on loads with both bullets . Hornady used cases manufactured by themselves and some by S&B . They not only have different volumes but also are different elasticity . I have a few of both 110 and 120 left . If I remember correctly the few hundred 110 v Max I've shot were loaded in one manufacturers case and the few hundred 120 s I've shot were in the others case . I am now curious and will have to dig them out and see . Of course that will not mean that different lots were not loaded in the opposite cases . If indeed the 120s or for that matter 110s were loaded in both cases the charge would have to be increased / decreased or pressure / velocity would be different . This could possibly contribute to different people reporting a noticable difference in velocity using them in the same manufacturers barrels of the same length.
Tolerance stacking + rough chamber = oh crappola .

41 - 60 of 83 Posts