6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in central Virginia the whitetail bucks generally run 140 - 200 lbs. I hand load and have in the past used a .308, 6.8 or slug shotgun to hunt them. I have decided to use my SBR 6.8 this coming year and trying to decide what bullet is better suited for the job. I have on hand Hornady 120 gr. SST and a bunch of the 90 gr. GD pulls. I usually take neck shots when presented so I know either will do the job but in the case of a shoulder opportunity which would be better. I have killed a couple in the past with my 18" 6.8 and the 120s but the SBR is a 11.5" and I will experience some velocity loss. I never used the 90 GDs for hunting, only steel and paper....thanks

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Much of the info you seek is in the bullet performance sticky started by X-Man above your post. Note fragmentation of the 120's, users report deadly results on hogs and deer but I shy away from bullets that come apart. The Barnes 95 TTSX has a big following here and its exclusively what I use for deer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Kimbershooter, how has it been going. Its been a while. I had good luck with the factory xm68gd and the 115 fusion with an 18" barrel. Complete pass thru's but didnt recover any of the bullets. But they did their job. I really like the federal bullets. I just didnt trust my handloads but plan on using the 90gd next year. Good luck

·
Registered
566 Posts
With the slower speed your going to get with the shorter barrel I would go with the 120sst if your range is not very long.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Three down this past season with Federal Fusion. I think I'd also use the XM68GD, but the Fusion is what's been most available locally. Dad's got like 700 of the pulled 90gr Gold Dots so load up, so might be giving those a try next season.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will shoot both for accuracy but probably will actually hunt with the 90 GDs since they will be faster and less drop if a shot at distance presents itself. I am reading too many results of the SST coming apart too early but I doubt it will be an issue on a thin skinned deer. Will try the 90s out on some coyotes
hopefully shortly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
SSA's 110gr AB load is very accurate out of my 18". Only one shot on game with it so far, but that little cow-horn buck dropped in his tracks. 130-ish lb, high shoulder, thru & thru.

Hornady 120gr SST are very accurate as well, but it seems from what I read on here, they do a good bit of tissue damage & our deer are small to begin with. I like to eat 'em too much to risk damaging a lot of meat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Took a 150 pound doe this past season with the 95 grn Barnes TTSX. It's pushing 2,900fps using AA2200 powder. She didn't run more than about 30yds with a vitals shot. Opened her up and heart was destroyed. Exit hole was about quarter sized.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Took a 150 pound doe this past season with the 95 grn Barnes TTSX. It's pushing 2,900fps using AA2200 powder. She didn't run more than about 30yds with a vitals shot. Opened her up and heart was destroyed. Exit hole was about quarter sized.
I have not shot the 95s out of my ar yet, as it is still in the assembly room. I have used ttsx's many other calibers and they are excellent for penetration and exspansion without fragmenting. It will be the bullet that I use for bigger game when I am done.

also, they are very consistent by weight and length.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There are many bullets that will work for your intended needs. I have been hunting N WI whitetails with my 6.8 since about 2009 and have shot or a buddy has shot 12-20 deer so far with it. We have used 110 gr accubonds, 85 gr TSX, and 110 gr prohunters. I had lackluster results with the 85 gr TSX (would drop deer but they would still be alive when I went over to them, sometimes 15-20 minutes after the chest shot) and with the prohunters (friend shot a small deer a bit further back from the front shoulder then would be ideal and I killed it while tracking it. It was still on it's feet and looking back at me a good 20 minutes or more after the shot).

The accubonds have been DRT. Some deer don't even take another step after being shot as evidenced through the snowfall. The Ab's work so well, I really have a hard time even thinking of trying something else. They drop deer better then when I used to use 308's and 30-06's years ago.

I'd vote for the accubond. It's a proven deer bullet. I haven't used any 100's yet but can't see where they wouldn't be as good as the 110's for all practical purposes.

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
I have killed two with the 110 Prohunters. Both perfect heart lung shots and both ran about 60-70 yards before crashing. It is an adequate round but not what I had hoped for. I plan to try the 100gr accubond next time out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
110 Accubond

1 - 20 of 25 Posts