6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I got to the local Hess station to get an item and then I am informed when I swiped the card, that my card came up "card fraud"

Now I'm P.O.'d

Get to my bank today and tell them what happened and I find a $0.99 card charge for some music place in WA state. So, I have to wait a few weeks for a new card...BAH!!! I hate people.:a10: I guess these identity thieves try a probing purchase with something small so no one will notice and if it works they grab the rest of your money. This sucks, so i can't do anything unless I go to my bank to get cash now.

If these idiots spent half the time looking for legit work instead of trying to rip people off, they'd make more damn money doing that then scamming people...

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
If these idiots spent half the time looking for legit work instead of trying to rip people off, they'd make more damn money doing that then scamming people...
Thats the problem, they buy a file from someone with all your info and 10000 other peoples info, then they run the card for a small amount to avoid the Feds from getting involved. If they can do this to a couple thousand people a day they are making tons of money. I had a similar issue a couple years back and my Geek had to explain how the scam works. The CCs and Debit cards dont all authenticate small amounts, so more often they can buy that $5 gift card from 100 places rather than buying a 500 from 1. Not to mention at .99$ they can run your card a bunch of times over a few months before you catch it. Be honest, how many people balance their credit cards and who is going to think twice about being off less than a dollar???? You got lucky that the automated system caught this charge, they usually dont. I was stuck for a little over $200 this way, spread out over 14 months!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Glad that your bank caught it right away.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Can't your bank just print a new debit card in the branch? That's what ours did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't your bank just print a new debit card in the branch? That's what ours did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, they don't make them right there, they have to send out for them. I didn't loose anything out of my account, it just pisses me off because now I am inconvenienced

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Same thing has been happening to me too. So instead of buying stuff online with my debit card i got a debit card attached to my paypal account. It seems i am getting a new card every 6 months or so, but my bank debit card no longer has fishie charges on it. My paypal account only has limited funds in it so if there is a large fraud charge it comes up denied. Sad i need to resort to this but what ever is the most safe. Plus i set up paypal to email my phone every time there is a debit charge.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Welcome to the club...

I've been hit no fewer than six times in the last four years. The most recent was a week ago today on a VISA debit card. Just received the new card Friday.

In one earlier instance I was hit three times for a total of over $1200 in three locations. One in NJ , and two in CA.

Last week it was two identical $325.00+ charges at Walmart.com. We don't buy anything from Walmart online. Both charges were within 45 mins of each other and while I was on the phone reporting the fraud a third $.99 charge was attempted. The bank indicated that the $.99 authorizations are done to determine if an account is still open and if the transaction is completed , they then follow up with multiple large purchases within minutes of each other.

In one instance I found such a $.99 charge that looked suspicious made to Itunes when we didn't have an Itunes account. That was caught early enough before more charges were made, but still required a lock on the credit card account until a new card could be issued. A PITA but better than being held accountable for a big $$$ loss.

Once I had 11 purchases of air time on Skype with all charges originating from India.

In about half the cases I found the fraudulent charges early while reviewing authorizations for my accounts on-line... which I try to do every day. The other half were caught by the credit card companies after the suspicious transactions had been completed.

Fortunately, in every instance the credit / debit cards covered the losses.

But each time the banks would not or could not identify how these card numbers were being fraudulently obtained.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I cant speak for the law in other states, but this is what I determined from when mine was stolen. It looks like someone wrote my name and number down when I used my card at a restaurant, and then used the information to buy minutes from Altell. The charges amounted to approximately 600 bucks. I notified my bank and they put the money back into my account. The then refused and stopped payment to Altell, which was located in Arkansas. Now here is the funny thing, I was made whole, so i couldnt prosecute a crime. The bank was made whole, so they also could not prosecute the crime. For a crime to occur, you have to have a victim, and in this case it was Altell. Altell would not cooperate because they did not actually loose anything, just minutes of airtime, which in their case, they decided was not worthwhile to bother over reporting and coming to court. The funniest thing I learned in all of that. I contacted Altell, and when I tried to get information on who used MY car illegally, they stated that the information was confidential.... once again, corporate America protecting the "rights" of criminals over their victims.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
America protecting the "rights" of criminals over their victims.
After spending the last seven months in court 5-6 times a month with another six months before we go to trial....I could write a Masters Thesis on that subject.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
My card got compromised today too! Some itunes store debit in Luxembourg totalling nearly $200.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If there was no theft and the bank took care of everything there isn't really a lot that can be done especially if the victim is made whole.

Like everyone said, thank God it wasn't a large amount.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I don't use a debit card for ANYTHING!

My bank (USAA) has caught improper use of my credit card before I did ... twice ... and I check very regularly! Neither amounted to much except the hassle of replacing the card and writing vendors that had been scammed.

Nonetheless, it amazes me that some SOBs spend so much energy trying to avoid working for a living!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Same thing has been happening to me too. So instead of buying stuff online with my debit card i got a debit card attached to my paypal account. It seems i am getting a new card every 6 months or so, but my bank debit card no longer has fishie charges on it. My paypal account only has limited funds in it so if there is a large fraud charge it comes up denied. Sad i need to resort to this but what ever is the most safe. Plus i set up paypal to email my phone every time there is a debit charge.
I,did same with a CC attached got burned more than once. They ping your account to see if it is real. Happened on my Discover last month it emails me every time it is used and it was a .99 charge. This getting to be a real problem for retail and customers.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm surprised to see how many other people this has happened to.

It's happened to me twice.

The first time, almost all of the charges were in Europe, and France in particular. Must be nice to stay in all of those foreign hotels and stuff they were charging me for.

The last time, they were just a bunch of itunes and xbox gift cards .

Both times, I filled out papers and all the funds were returned to my account.

But they didn't make the replacement cards there. I had to wait for mine to come in the mail, and then another letter with the authorization numbers.

Our banker recommended that if we pay for anything online (whether secure or not and especially large sum of money) to buy those prepaid visa gift cards and use those instead of a debit.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
It has happened to me numerous times. The losers in this game are the stores and vendors. Visa & the bank try to act like heroes, but they just make the stores vendors eat the loss.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
got mine too this past saturday, 78 cent charge to a deli in New York, and then $500 to some place called moneybookers in London, so i'm guessing the first charge was to see if it worked, second one was to grab the money....really pisses me off, happen a couple years ago, but was only about $10, again, same thing, two charges....so had to cancel the card and get a temp this morning and a new one mailed

hmmm, seems like quite a few people on here, so, who are we all buying from? the way they get your card in is hacking in to certain sites....

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
hmmm, seems like quite a few people on here, so, who are we all buying from? the way they get your card in is hacking in to certain sites....
Damn...!!!

It's all Harrison's fault...!

:a42:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
This is a full blown industry these days. Much of it based outside the US. Most of the hacked sites dont even know they've been hacked. It is a full on war out there.

It isnt just www sites either. There are places online you can go to sell valid cc numbers, so locals play a part too.

Not to mention spyware, where it is YOU who have been hacked.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts