6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to figure out a small issue I was having with a magazine where it wasnt allowing ammo to load. (mag wasnt seated all the way). Anyhow I decided to cycle some of the rounds through the gun (not actually firing it)and I was doing it slowly. A couple of the bullets got jammed when I slowly released the charge handle, and as a result the tips of the SSA Pro Hunters got damaged. Im at work now and hope to put up some pictures later. It looks like there are some gouges in the tips and theyre all scratched up. Will this be a problem when shooting? should I no longer use these? Again I'll try to put up some pics later. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Fire away. The worse that can happen is reduced accuracy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's pretty common too.

It happens when the bullet runs over the feedramps in your barrel extention. Unless the feed ramps are super smooth they will leave a scratch to a gouge on the bullet. When you slow cycled your weapon it thew off the flow of things going into the chamber and with the partially seated mag you got scratcharoonie!

( where's spell check :cry: )

·
Registered
257 Posts
tweak the feed ramps on you mag so the projectile nose rise's slightly. Right now your cartridge is laying flat in your mag and when the bolt picks it up it is jamming it straight into your ramps on the barrel extension. By rising the nose slightly the ojave of the projectile will hit the ramps instead of the nose. This is a common problem as the 6.8 sits a little lower in the mag versa's a 5.56

Art - SSA

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had some reloads that my die removed 1/2 the lead tip on some ph's. I didnt even notice that much of a difference in accuracy. If its the lead damaged like Paulosantos said blast away is what I would do.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Do like art said, tweaking those feed lips helped my rifle feed the 90 grainers and they wouldnt feed at all before.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts