·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys,
I have now done this a few times.
I LOVE the CZ M-527 as the basis for such rifles
Get one in 222, or 223 used and in beat up condition if you can
Re-barrel it with a standard .277 barrel. I have used all 1-10 twists because that's what I can get at a reasonable price. I would love to do one with a 1-12, but I have never seen a 1-12 available in the USA. Browning used that twist for a while (FN) and if I ever get an old FN take-off I may save it for such a project.
Anyway, you barrel up then chamber the action, and open up the extractor just a bit. (like you would to turn a 30-06 into a belted mag on a standard Mauser.
Restock the gun or refinish it. I slim the CZ stocks down and shorten the forends. I put ebony tips and steel oval grip caps on them, and slim down the stocks to minimum dimensions. They are of Turkish walnut, and very hard and strong, so you can take quite a bit off and still leave enough for a stong wrist.
Refinish and re-checker
Lastly, just buy a CZ M-527 mag made for the 7.62X39 They feed perfectly
If you'd like to have such a rifle CALL CZ-USA. I have talked to then a few times now, and they are considering the round as a factory standard chambering. Input would help.
:)
Good hunting to you all

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey RT, I'm glad to see you here!

After you and I spoke, I tried to contact CZ-USA both by phone and email. No response. Tried Savage, and they weren't looking to start producing rifles in any new calibers.

I am hoping someday that one of the bolt gun companies get's to producing some 6.8's...

Ruger maybe? Hmmmm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's odd.
I talked to the "parts guy" (buying band front sights, express rear sights and those 7.62X39 mags) and he transfrred me to someone else, but they told me that they were giving it serous consideration.

I will call them again next week and see what they say. (I hope I get through, I have never had trouble in the past)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is a photo of a converted CZ-527 in that "other 6.X round".

Brockman Rifles conversion of a CZ-527 action.
20" Barrel, #1 Contour
Brockman Custom Laminate Stock
Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 3-9X Mil-Dot scope in QR Talley rings
Fully Loaded weight with 5 rounds and Ching Sling, 7lbs 15ozs.

Seems to me that it would be quite easy to do the same thing in 6.8SPC. I remember reading Gary Paul Johnston had made just such a rifle conversion in RifleShooter magazine a few years ago.

Brockman's Rifles
Jim Brockman
445 Idaho Street
Gooding, Idaho 83330
208-934-5050
[email:179ne2uk][email protected][/email:179ne2uk]

NOTE Edited on 07/19 to post photo of rifle into thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wrote to CZ way back when I first heard about the 6.8 and suggested it for the 527. Seems to me it'd be the ultimate lightweight deer gun. Something the size of those Kimber's only at a fraction of the price. Mine in 223 is a tackdriver, and has some nice wood--would add a 6.8 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
RealTeacher:

Does that 7.62x39 CZ 527 mag fit into the .223 without modification?

I'm a lefty and have a CZ527 in .223 already, but I'm dying to get a bolt gun in 6.8 made up just like you said on this rifle, but the mag conversion was the main concern for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've finally got my 6.8 LEFTY bolt gun project together (at least all the parts to the gun smith.) This rifle is intended to be the one I carry with me all the time in my pick up truck. It'll do duty as one of my deer rifles for local hunting and possibly traveling a bit. I wanted the magazine fed feature to stay in legal as fire arms here can not have loaded magazines even when cased in a vehicle.

I started with a CZ 527 lefty .223. Acquired CZ527 7.62x39 bottom metal, magazines, and a take off Remington 270 stainless barrel.

Discussions with the smith doing the work have us planning on a different scope mounting set up (preferably some form of low mount Weaver style bases for a better quality QD scope attachment) and possibly a set of high visibility sights to make it easy for my poor near vision to see them enough to make them a useful item.

When it all comes back to me, I'll shoot it a bit to see if there's any tweeking needed. Then it'll possibly go some where for refinishing and I'll consider some synthetic stock options even though left handed options for this rifle are limited.

I'll post some pictures when she comes home to me.

Now for the waiting....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Getting close already.

My Gunsmith called last night for a status update -

Barrel is cut, chambered, threaded and mounted to action (I chose 19" barrel on the CZ 527 frame)

Bottom metal is fitted

Bolt has been opened for the 6.8 cartridge.

Waiting to finish opening the barrel channel up and glass bedding.

We talked about mounting a back up set of iron sights. I chose to go with the Williams Fire Eyes that are much like the standard Remington sights. Easy to mount, reasonable cost since they are not my primary aiming system, easy to see with my tired close range vision and a good all-around compromise since it'll wear the Trijicon Accupoint 1.5-4 scope for my usage.

Now, if it gets here before November, I'll have to shoot a white tail with it, just because I can.

More later...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
ChopperGuy

I am anxiously awaiting photos of this rifle, I have one CZ rifle and enjoy it alot, my Blaser R93 being above it by quite a ways.

Let us know how she shoots!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am very spoiled by the performance of my Blaser R93 in several calibers, so it'll be interesting to compare this project.

I have good hopes for it and look forward to taking it to the range and in the field. Should make the perfect "truck gun."

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hands down best factory trigger of any rifle I have ever used, period. That of the R-93.

Glad others share my thoughts on who well those guns shoot. Need a 22-250 barrel now...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts