6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had a chance to get out to the range and put some holes in paper using my 16 arp barrel.

I was a little confused with all of cycling issues I had. I ended up oiling the BCG like crazy for it to only hickup every 3rd rd.

I was using Hornady and S&B.

Both shot great out of the barrel. I was shooting small clovers on every target I shot.

So I go home and inspect my upper suspecting my gas block or or tube to be leaking or be misaligned but they weren't. No leaking. etc.

Then I hit the internet and read about all that gas leaking, light loads, fast powder, tight upper/bcg fit, lube, buffer and buffer spring etc.

Finally come across ARP stating that gas port on the mid-length is not for use on A2 buffer system.... Oh! My bad.

So sounds like I can just make the switch to a carbine stock setup right and it should work. This Is my hope.

Either that or I can enlarge the gas port so i can use it with the A2 stock.

Question. If i switch to a carbine buffer tube/buffer should it be strong enough to run with a Tubb Buffer spring?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
yes, once you switch to a carbine buffer system it should work fine. for what its worth i have several ARP barrels and all function 100% from this type buffer system. never even tried to fool with an A2 setup on them.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I finally had a chance to get out to the range and put some holes in paper using my 16 arp barrel.

I was a little confused with all of cycling issues I had. I ended up oiling the BCG like crazy for it to only hickup every 3rd rd.

Both shot great out of the barrel. I was shooting small clovers on every target I shot.

So I go home and inspect my upper suspecting my gas block or or tube to be leaking or be misaligned but they weren't. No leaking. etc.

Then I hit the internet and read about all that gas leaking, light loads, fast powder, tight upper/bcg fit, lube, buffer and buffer spring etc.

Finally come across ARP stating that gas port on the mid-length is not for use on A2 buffer system.... Oh! My bad.

So sounds like I can just make the switch to a carbine stock setup right and it should work. This Is my hope.

Question. If i switch to a carbine buffer tube/buffer should it be strong enough to run with a Tubb Buffer spring?
We use ARP barrels in all of our uppers we sell. We recommend a standard carbine buffer and spring, but we've been test firing on the sprinco red spring for awhile now so the tubbs should be fine. But I recommend having a standard car spring on hand just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect. I'm stoked. I want to give it a try this week.I will update then. I have another lower with carbine setup so it's an easy swap. Just didn't think of bringing it along the first trip.

I will test with factory loads first.

I will be making some 95gr barnes over 2200 as well. Forsee any problems?

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
all the uppers i built using arp's barrels run great with an a2 setup as long as everything is also g2g.
However any slight gas leak or gas tube friction from mis alignment will cause your issues and also try a different proven mag.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all the uppers i built using arp's barrels run great with an a2 setup as long as everything is also g2g.
However any slight gas leak or gas tube friction from mis alignment will cause your issues and also try a different proven mag.
You use the 16" midlength?

hmm I don't have any signs of Gas leaks or misalignment.

Good to know though. I will check everything over again.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
You use the 16" midlength?

hmm I don't have any signs of Gas leaks or misalignment.

Good to know though. I will check everything over again.
yes sir, 16" middy's
you might o done already- by hand, slide a carrier with the bolt removed in and out to feel for drag from the gas tube and gas key
or might just need BCG to break in more.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Like others that replied, my 6.8 uses a rifle buffer with a mid-length gas system just fine. Look at something else first like a magazine or just breaking it in more.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts

try checking the actual gas port size, there were a few barrels not too long ago that had a slightly undersized port (by a drill bit size I think) ..just double check to make sure its the correct size

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last night I took the gas system apart and cleaned everything and reassembled it double checking everything as I went along. put a carbine stock on it and cycled it by hand a bunch.

Tonight I'm going to load up some ammo and test it out hopefully tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The first 6.8 I built was with a WC 16" barrel and mid gas and I have always preferred the PRS stocks because they are a better fit for me due to my height and length of pull. The only problems I have ever had with that rifle was when I started working on reloads with AA2200 and the 95TTSX and it started short stroking but worked flawlessly with all factory loads and all other reloads with slower powders. WASSMAN was trying to help me with the issue and I checked everything he even offered to let me try some of the AA2200 from the lot he had. I ended up switching to a carbine buffer system with an EMOD stock and the issue went away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The first 6.8 I built was with a WC 16" barrel and mid gas and I have always preferred the PRS stocks because they are a better fit for me due to my height and length of pull. The only problems I have ever had with that rifle was when I started working on reloads with AA2200 and the 95TTSX and it started short stroking but worked flawlessly with all factory loads and all other reloads with slower powders. WASSMAN was trying to help me with the issue and I checked everything he even offered to let me try some of the AA2200 from the lot he had. I ended up switching to a carbine buffer system with an EMOD stock and the issue went away.
Thanks for the Heads up as I will be using that same powder/bullet combo. I'm going to take two lowers to the range an a2 and one with a carbine. Will try them both with some 95ttsx loads, S&B, and Hornady 110s

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks for the Heads up as I will be using that same powder/bullet combo. I'm going to take two lowers to the range an a2 and one with a carbine. Will try them both with some 95ttsx loads, S&B, and Hornady 110s
Not saying that is without a doubt your issue considering my 16" barrel is a different make but that was my experience. Checking the gas port size as Texas Hog Man suggested would be a good idea and one more box to tick off and maybe avoid any further frustration. One other question would be are you using an AIM nitrided BCG there have been several guys on here lately using them and having cycling and ejection issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not saying that is without a doubt your issue considering my 16" barrel is a different make but that was my experience. Checking the gas port size as Texas Hog Man suggested would be a good idea and one more box to tick off and maybe avoid any further frustration. One other question would be are you using an AIM nitrided BCG there have been several guys on here lately using them and having cycling and ejection issues.
I'm using a Palmetto bolt in a Rainier arms carrier. Maybe it would be useful for me to explain my cycling issues to make sure I didn't misdiagnose... when I load a single round s fire it off, the bolt doesn't lock back. I can see that the brass is hitting the deflector on the case mouth as its leaving a smiley of brass on the deflector. I figured this to be short stroking.

Was the AIM BCG issue related to the bolt/extractor or the carrier? do you know? I'm just currious but guess I can search on that.

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Hmm, if the brass is bouncing off the deflector I would think it is overgassed.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm using a Palmetto bolt in a Rainier arms carrier. Maybe it would be useful for me to explain my cycling issues to make sure I didn't misdiagnose... when I load a single round s fire it off, the bolt doesn't lock back. I can see that the brass is hitting the deflector on the case mouth as its leaving a smiley of brass on the deflector. I figured this to be short stroking.

Was the AIM BCG issue related to the bolt/extractor or the carrier? do you know? I'm just currious but guess I can search on that.

Thanks for the help.
Yeah it's short stroking and assume it is throwing the brass to about the 5:00 position. You just need to try it with the carbine buffer as others have suggested, I was just curious about the carrier being an AIM.

As far as what the exact problem with the AIM BCG's is yet to be detailed other than they are stove piping brass during firing and not cycling properly. I have asked a few questions regarding the issue but haven't had a response yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm, if the brass is bouncing off the deflector I would think it is overgassed.
Overgas situation would prevent the bolt from locking back on a empty mag?

I will post photo of my deflector tonight.

If its over gassed it would just be a matter of adding and adjustable gas block. correct?

Also, if its over gassed my 95gr ttsx with a2200 may help resolve it as well. Potentially but no guarantee.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts